RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Gold Lettering Package...aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-07, 05:34 PM
sethym
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gold Lettering Package...aftermarket

Anyone here know about the availability of the gold lettering package. Is it available aftermarket; can you remove/replace the lettering and Lexus emblem yourself?
Old 08-25-07, 09:33 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

ebay should be overloaded with gold emblems. It's easy to pull off; just use a flathead screwdriver, semi-thin towel and lots of care!

What color is your RX btw? You sure you want gold emblems??
Old 08-25-07, 10:48 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To remove those stick-on logos, etc. some here have suggested a hair dryer to warm up the area (maybe not needed in August - just park in the sun). Then take a length of dental floss, wind it around your fingers and work it under the badge with a sawing motion. Keep the ends close to the body and don't pull upward on the badge - just try to cut under it. You can't scratch the paint - they say. Don't waste your flavored floss on this job, just the waxed variety will work fine.
Old 08-25-07, 11:52 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

Now you know the process and have been reminded to pay attention to color combination {gold emblems do not go well with all colors}.

The only thing, I am going to add is the questionable longevity of the gold color emblems. They may peel or fade. Deal with reputable vendor. At times the vendor may buy your chrome emblems to recycle them.

Salim
Old 08-26-07, 02:21 AM
kewobrian
Driver School Candidate

Default Gold?

Sorry to turd on your cereal.. but gold?? ewww

As the poster said above, you better make sure it matches your car.
Old 08-26-07, 06:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

As Lil4X mentioned in the process above, my uncle and I used a similar method to remove the gold emblems on my RX300. You can also try to pull them off, but much easier to follow Lil4X's method. The L logo on the rear needs to be removed from the inside and leaves some small holes, at least on the RX300.
Old 08-26-07, 09:20 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I hope you have the pearl white because thats the only color I think gold would look good on.
Old 08-26-07, 09:49 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gold emblems look nasty on cars--IMO
Old 08-26-07, 01:46 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Gold emblems are available form a number of sources - most are junk. The plating is often too thin and not properly bonded so that it flakes off in a few months. I considered the gold package on my Pearl White RX 300, but opted for custom hand-laid pinstripes instead. I think it was the right decision. I went to a "name" custom painter and let him do the design and pick the colors - heck, I let him sign his work. The result was unique and got a lot of compliments.
Old 08-26-07, 03:43 PM
sethym
Driver School Candidate

My RX is Savannah Gold, I saw one of same color w/gold letters and liked it. Based on how opinionated everyone is here, i.e.
"I hope you have the pearl white because thats the only color I think gold would look good on."
I'm hesitant to even say that, but it really did look cool. Sorry to turd on your self-righteousness.
Old 08-26-07, 03:56 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sethym
My RX is Savannah Gold, I saw one of same color w/gold letters and liked it. Based on how opinionated everyone is here, i.e.
"I hope you have the pearl white because thats the only color I think gold would look good on."
I'm hesitant to even say that, but it really did look cool. Sorry to turd on your self-righteousness.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and you are free to pick whatever color. Having said that, gold emblem is as fashionable as gold jewelry. None of people under 50 I know do gold emblem mod. If nothing else, think of resell value, would someone else discount the price based on "unpopular" color?
Old 08-26-07, 05:34 PM
notme
Driver School Candidate

I also have the Savannah Gold RX330 and I am over fifty. I will stick with silver.

Honestly Seth, don't get bunched up over this one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on modifications to their car. I have seen some changes that I don't like on some of the cars here. I do think it is good to know what the general opinion is on any change you might make to your car just in case you decide to sell or trade it later.
Old 08-26-07, 07:09 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

I like, tunedRx300, would also suggest that you do what pleases you.

Salim
Old 08-27-07, 05:25 PM
tgdaman
Rookie

I previously bought a new car and had the "gold package" installed by the dealer. Car was white, gold looked great for a couple years, then started fading and peeling. I wouldn't do it again.
Old 08-28-07, 10:21 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always liked gunmetal colored emblems. does lexus still make them?

Quick Reply: Gold Lettering Package...aftermarket