RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

After Market Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07 | 05:35 AM
Tom H
Rookie

Default After Market Remote Start?

I am wondering if any of you have installed an aftermarket remote start for your RX, specifically a 2008 RX350 w/premium and no NAV. I really want one for the cold winters here in the Midwest. Does anyone know if an aftermarket install would have a potential affect on the warranty?
Old 08-29-07 | 06:47 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

I had posted something a while back on this. Can't recall precisely, but if you search back you'll find it. Doing this apparently will void the warranty. Too much risk of messing up critical electrical circuits in your RX.

That and it really isn't needed. Up here, in the great white north (LOL), it is a bone of contention. Lots of municipalities have implemented anti-idling bylaws to keep people from uselessly idling cars in winter. Most folks with remote starters overdo it, leving them run 10 plus minutes. I never idle my cars; they are garaged (unheated) and start fine. Just take it easy on start, crank up the seat heaters and go! I'm also not thrilled with getting zero MPG while idling! Such a waste and source of unnecessary pollution.
Old 08-29-07 | 06:54 AM
Tom H
Rookie

Originally Posted by JasDmw
I had posted something a while back on this. Can't recall precisely, but if you search back you'll find it. Doing this apparently will void the warranty. Too much risk of messing up critical electrical circuits in your RX.

That and it really isn't needed. Up here, in the great white north (LOL), it is a bone of contention. Lots of municipalities have implemented anti-idling bylaws to keep people from uselessly idling cars in winter. Most folks with remote starters overdo it, leving them run 10 plus minutes. I never idle my cars; they are garaged (unheated) and start fine. Just take it easy on start, crank up the seat heaters and go! I'm also not thrilled with getting zero MPG while idling! Such a waste and source of unnecessary pollution.
I follow and agree with most of your logic on this. However, I have a medical condition and on extremely bitter cold days I would like the option to idle the car for 2 to 3 minuets max to get the edge off. I also garage my car but it's the return trip from work that concerns me. Fortunately it's not an everyday issue. Of coarse I can still start the car and go back inside while it warms. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-29-07 | 07:28 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

I have seen many lexus done at alarm shops.. I dont think it will void the warranty completely. As most aftermarket items, if the item is at fault, the warranty will be voided only the item that it affects. Now in this case it would mean probably ignition related or starter items. The dealer will also have to prove it as well.
Old 08-29-07 | 08:30 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

I had a 98 GS300 that I had put an AstroStart brand auto starter in and had no problem with it whatsoever. I had problems with the light coming on for the airbags on three different occasions and every time Lexus repaired/replaced part of the sensor or board assemblies with no questions asked. The last time was in early 2005 just before I traded it in on a new 2005 RX330. When I purchased the RX330 I asked the dealer about installing an autostart. Their reply was that they don't do it themselves but could name a couple places they recommended (in the Minneapolis area). Said it would not void the warrenty but if there was a problem with the circuit it was installed on and/or the starter it may be up to them to decide if it would be under warrenty or the autostarter installer/company. I had the AstroStart brand installed in my hometown in Nov. of 2005 and have had no problem with it. All of the local car dealers (Ford, Chevy, Cadillac, Chrysler, Toyota) all install AstroStart brand. In fact around here in the late fall or early winter most all of the dealers even advertise if you buy a new car (sometimes even fairly new used) they will install an AstroStart free of charge. Most of them even advertise auto starter deals all the time.

As for a waste of gas. No I'm not wild about wasting a lot of gas, but I also don't like getting in my RX when it has been setting outside all day in -10 deg. temps. I do like to start it up 5 to 7 minutes before leaving to let it warm a bit and maybe help to get the frost off the windshield. The same goes if I have been out to a local college basketball game or a movie. I usually don't use it until the temps drop down around the 10 deg. or less mark, but kind of depends on other weather factors as well. Snowing, 20 to 30 mph winds and such. My other vehicle is a Ford SportTrac has an autostart as well that was installed by the dealer at time of purchase. Guess I really wouldn't have a vehicle without it around here.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior with Black Birdseye Maple trim, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Autosensing Wipers, Moonroof, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18 inch Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4's.
Old 08-29-07 | 09:51 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

i know there is a company that makes them integrated into the factory key, you hit a button 3 times and WALAH
Old 08-31-07 | 10:56 AM
bngu1
Driver School Candidate

having aftermarket equipment added to your vehicle will not void the warranty completely. i've had remote start on all of the vehicles that i owned and i was able to service my car under warranty without any questions from the dealer. i just order a viper 5900 off ebay and will be installing it this weekend. yeah i always install alarm/remote start and stereos myself. i don't want anyone else to take things apart in my car.
Old 08-31-07 | 12:06 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

I have had a couple remote starts and 2-way alarm systems installed on my previous vehicles. I used respected brands (such as viper, clifford or phyton) and had their certified retailer/installer do the job. They did a very2 clean and professional install. If you google the brand and go to its website, it will allow you to search for local installers in your area. Then you can call them and ask if they have worked on your particular Lexus model before and maybe get a price quote.

I used this product line before, only mine is 1 generation older: http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=112

Yes, I know how you feel about midwest winter. I used to live in IL and IN myself for a number of years.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SugarRush; 08-31-07 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-31-07 | 11:13 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

This will not void any warrenty--I had the Compustart on both my 04 and now 08 and they work fine!! Very nice for those -20 mornings

The Lexus dealer installs them on all lexus they sell----no problem at all!
Old 09-01-07 | 10:03 AM
salimshah

Warranty is a very tricky issue when it gets to items that stop working and share an add on. Suppose after the remote starter is added, you run into starting issues. imho dealership has the right to refuse service till the add on is removed and no connection is spliced. Dealership should not be expected to understand the add on.

Salim
Old 09-01-07 | 05:50 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

What--the dealership is putting them on-they better know what they are doing.....mine works Perfect
Old 09-01-07 | 06:26 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Booyah
What--the dealership is putting them on-they better know what they are doing.....mine works Perfect
If it is the dealer or a shop they subcontract then they should take care of it. Mind you, then we are not talking Lexus warranty.

Salim
Old 09-02-07 | 05:35 PM
Tom H
Rookie

Originally Posted by Booyah
This will not void any warrenty--I had the Compustart on both my 04 and now 08 and they work fine!! Very nice for those -20 mornings

The Lexus dealer installs them on all lexus they sell----no problem at all!
Can I ask what you paid for your remote including the dealer install? Also, does the dealer say that Lexus will back any non-remote problems since the original factory wiring has been disturbed? Another way to put it is to ask..Is the remote install a Lexus sponsored or sanctioned install?
Old 09-02-07 | 07:22 PM
salimshah

Good question to ask. Most probably it is like pin-stripes or under-body coating that is done by local dealership either in house or through 3rd party.

More pertinent question would be ... If I am traveling or move to another city and have a problem would it be covered under warranty by Lexus of USA. Get it in writing.

Salim
Old 09-02-07 | 09:00 PM
Tom H
Rookie

I know Toyota has a specific Remote Start option for the Camry and other vehicles but I believe the vehicle has to be pre-wired from the factory to accept it. In this case it is definitely under factory warranty as it is a Toyota supplied and is part of the design spec for the particular model. I'm new to Lexus but I don't think they specifically offer the option.

Quick Reply: After Market Remote Start?