RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Inside Edge Abnormal Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 06:01 PM
Garymkrieg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside Edge Abnormal Tire Wear

We have a 2007 FWD Lexus RX350 with Goodyear tires. Tires were rotated at 5,000 miles and no mention was made of any abnormal wear. At 10,000 miles the Toyota dealer said that all tires were experiencing abnormal inside edge wear and that the car needed an alignment. You can see and feel the inside edge wear on all the tires. Go the Lexus dealer they check the alignment and tell me it is perfect. They suggest I buy new tires and see if it happens again. Do any of you Lexus gurus have any ideas about what might be causing the problem.
Old 08-30-07, 08:38 PM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

Can you please re-read your post and elaborate.

Who rotated the tires at 5k
Toyota suggested to take the RX to Lexus at 10k.

Did you take it to Lexus or the word "go" was the suggestion from Toyota?

I highly discourage people from diagnosing the problem. You should simply complain about the "abnormal wear" and let Lexus diagnose it. If it is alignment, then they should fix it [for a while alignment was not considered a warranty item, but I think now it is]. If it is a tire defect, then Lexus should settle it with tire manufacturer. If it is a suspension issue, then your warranty should cover it.
In all cases, Lexus should handle it for you ..... unless a third party shop/garage messed with any of the stuff.

You being asked to buy new tires on your own and "try" them out does not make any sense.

Salim
Old 08-31-07, 06:06 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that this is a dealer problem. Why should you foot the bill for abnormal tire wear, when you can demonstrate that you are in compliance with the maintenance schedule? I would go back to Lexus, ask for another alignment and see what they say.

Gary
Old 08-31-07, 07:25 AM
salimshah

Most probably the problem is with alignment, but it can be with suspension as well. If you tell the dealer to look at alignment, they dont try to look for other possible causes. That is the reason I suggest never to diagnose the problem and ask for a specific thing. It is ok to mention alignment but the customer must state the problem that needs to be fixed ... in this case "abnormal tire wear".

Talking about alignment, there is a +- tolerance and a sharp mechanic may set a value (within specs) but skewed to compromise best wear pattern.

Salim
Old 08-31-07, 08:13 AM
Garymkrieg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The initial rotation was made by the Lexus dealer at 5,000. At the next maintenance interval, 10,000 miles, only a Toyota dealer was near by. Asked for an oil change, lube and tire rotation. They did the oil change and lube but refused to rotate the tires because all the tires were showing inside edge tire wear with the back tires showing the most wear. They did not want to move any of the back tires to the front. They said I probably needed an alignment. So I took it back to the Lexus dealer when I got home. That is where the car is now.

No third party, unless you consider Toyota a third party, has touched the car. I am trying to diagnose the problem myself because Lexus is saying I have no problem, just replace the tires, at my expense, and be happy.
Old 08-31-07, 08:26 AM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is common with the goodyear tires, go back to the lexus dealership and have them good will you 4 new michelin tires. michelins do not do this.
also when you go in tell them the car is pulling left and they should do an alignment under warranty.
Old 08-31-07, 11:54 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnjohn9
this is common with the goodyear tires, go back to the lexus dealership and have them good will you 4 new michelin tires. michelins do not do this.
also when you go in tell them the car is pulling left and they should do an alignment under warranty.
I didn't have this issue with my GoodyeaR RSA 18" tires. They wore down evenly and I replaced them at 35k. I rotated them every 6 months approx 5k miles.
Old 08-31-07, 02:29 PM
salimshah

Lexus will say Toyota is third party but based on your explanation they should have no problem.

I would call the service manager and tell him, it is either the settings of the RX (alignment) or problem with the tires. Both are under warranty [although the tire manufacturer provides the warranty]. The wear pattern is not due to inflation [either the middle or both edges]. The problem should have been looked at 5k service but the dealership ignored it and caused damage to the other 2 tires. You want the problem fixed. Dealership should take it up with tire manufacturer if it is tire problem.

Salim
Old 08-31-07, 10:42 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My crap-years did this on my 04 at 23K miles---I just replace the whole freakin car with an 08-350 with some nice Michelins Life is great