RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rock chipped windshield...How?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 07:33 AM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock chipped windshield...How?

On my way from the airport my RX350 was hit by a rock, leaving a chip on my lower left windshield. The inner part is ok but the middle part has 3 broken lines...strangly the outside only has a single mark.

Is this a easy fix? If so can it be done at a Lexus dealership?

Is there a name for this procedure?

And finally, if I had to replace the windshield, how much would it cost at a Lexus dealer?

Best,
Jack
Old 09-03-07, 08:09 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Depending on your insurance company, you can even claim rock chip damage with your comprehensive coverage with zero deductible.

Basically the autoglass proffesional will assess the damage. If it is not too severe, they will 'patch' the glass by injecting some sort of resin (bonding) agent into the crack. If it spread further after sometime, the entire front glass will be replaced. Eveything will be covered by your insurance as far as I know if you carry comprehensive coverage.

Replacing lexus winshield is expensive especially on the RX350 that has triple layer glass.
Old 09-03-07, 08:33 AM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

thanks...

BTW, if I use my comprehensive coverage, would it bump my insurance cost a lot?

Best,
Jack
Old 09-03-07, 09:05 AM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

First, majority of Lexus dealerships do not have a body-repair facility. Most of the work is done by an independent garage. If you call your local dealership, they will tell you who to contact.

Depending upon the location of the crack it can be repaired or the whole screen has to be replaced {typically it is based on the area covered by the wiper).

With repair the optics of the repair area change (typically acceptable but refraction happens).

If it gets down to replacement, you will be steered towards 3rd party and even glass made by the same manufacturer used by Lexus/Toyota. I would only go to a place who have replaced RX glass before (recommended by Lexus dealership). Also make sure you inspect for visual aberrations. Have them hang the glass and walk around to see a breakup in vertical & horizontal structures/walls/poles etc. Poor quality glass can make you sick/dizzy as you see things go bye.

Insurance premium hike is best answered by you agent.

Last of all please use search as this topic has been discussed in detail here in RX and other Forum. If you have rain sensor, your options may be limited.

Personally, I would prefer living with a small dot of imperfection that comes after the repair.

Salim
Old 09-03-07, 12:13 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's important to get this damage repaired right away. Even the tiniest chip acts as a stress-raiser, focusing forces applied to your windshield (and there are plenty), and turning a pinprick chip into a crack in only a day or two. If those cracks begin to migrate, the whole windshield must be replaced. The easiest way to check for tiny chips is to clean your windshield carefully, dry, then wipe it very lightly with a soft cotton cloth. Tiny chips, almost invisible to your eye, will snag the cloth.

If they are not in the driver's direct line of vision when looking down the road, these chips can be repaired easily. Some insurance companies will want to replace the whole windshield anyway, but if you live in a city where chips are a part of car ownership, try to talk them out of it if chips are very small. They only increase the cost of everyone's insurance by installing new glass every time. "Bonded" repairs are permanent and almost completely undetectable.
Old 09-03-07, 01:55 PM
lexusbeth4
Driver School Candidate

I had to have my windshield replaced last year. Mine was done thru the dealer with a lexus windshield. I have the rain sensor so I didn't want to have a 3rd party do it. I live in Texas and my dealer is top notch.

The cost was over $1,100.00 but claiming it on your comprehsive should not increase your rates as comp. coverage is something that is not in your control but it would depend on your overall claim activity and your insurer. Most insurers are much more concerned with your collision claim.

I had no choice as my windshield cracked all the way across but if you don't absolutely have to have it replaced, don't.
Old 09-04-07, 06:09 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

We have heard horror stories on rain sensors not working after repair, even if they were Lexus recommended contractors. Investigate and ask for references would be good. At least you know they have done it a couple of times and will be successful when they do yours. Good luck. Do not fool around windshields, safety should not compromised.