RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Front Brake Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 04:08 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
What kind of "remedy" was offered to you for each case and who implemented them at how much $?

At 26K, the dealer applied the TSB and replaced the rotors, but put the old pads back on (against me asking for new pads). This was under warranty.

At 52K, the dealer turned rotors at a "reduced cost".

At 62K, a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus put on new OEM rotors/pads.

At 74K, that same shop turned the rotors, at a reduced cost for labor.

I wrote to Lexus and they said, sorry you are having problems with the rotors warping, but you are out of warranty.

Since we now have 85K on the RX, I am waiting for the next rotor warping to occur any day. I hope the brakeplanet or brembo rotors will help.
Old 09-12-07, 04:09 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
At 26K, the dealer applied the TSB and replaced the rotors, but put the old pads back on (against me asking for new pads). This was under warranty.

I wrote to Lexus and they said, sorry you are having problems with the rotors warping, but you are out of warranty.

Since we now have 85K on the RX, I am waiting for the next rotor warping to occur any day. I hope the brakeplanet or brembo rotors will help.
That sucks man...

I have 48K on my car and when I went to the dealer at around 42K they said that they applied all of the TSBs. But still the rotors were warped. I bought a certified preowned that has the warrantee until 100K. Should I take it back to the dealer and tell them the rotors are warped and they should fix it under the TSB?

I was also thinking that if they dont do it then just buy Brembos and not deal with this annoying problem every ~25K.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-07, 07:53 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have 27k on my 04 and will come in and complain about the vibration...my pads are close to being used up. I am pretty sure the TSB has not been done on my unit. We'll see what happens.
Old 09-12-07, 03:14 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
That sucks man...

I have 48K on my car and when I went to the dealer at around 42K they said that they applied all of the TSBs. But still the rotors were warped. I bought a certified preowned that has the warrantee until 100K. Should I take it back to the dealer and tell them the rotors are warped and they should fix it under the TSB?

I was also thinking that if they dont do it then just buy Brembos and not deal with this annoying problem every ~25K.

Thanks.

I would take it back for sure, but I am not sure the rotors will be covered under the extended warranty, they should be good under the original warranty; either way, it is definitely worth a shot. Because from experience, you will see the problem again.

From all of you that have experienced the rotor warping issue, I would LOVE to hear if Brembo or whatever (i.e. other than OEM parts) fixed it, because I am pretty much fed up.

I do have to add, the rest of the car (at 85K) is absolutely SOLID, so go figure.
Old 09-12-07, 04:20 PM
jednav
Driver

Those are lot of rotors. Hope you are not dosing water on them while hot.
Old 09-12-07, 04:31 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by jednav
Those are lot of rotors. Hope you are not dosing water on them while hot.

Does a full service car wash count?? I do go through the automatic car wash and I would imagine, there have been times when the rotors were hot when I did it.
Old 09-13-07, 06:34 AM
jednav
Driver

Does a full service car wash count?? I do go through the automatic car wash and I would imagine, there have been times when the rotors were hot when I did it.
am sure that the cause of your problem.
Old 10-23-07, 08:22 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Any one used Brake planet rotors on their rX?

http://stores.brakeplanet.com/Items/...6?sck=90563088

I know jfelbab has used them on his MR2 but I would just like feedback about brakeplanet rotors and brakepads from RX330/350 users.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-07, 01:42 PM
Spartus
Driver School Candidate

it's very likely the rotors are not the source of the problem. Perhaps it's the pad that is leaving residue on the rotor causing the warping sensation. Look into another pad such as Akebono ceramic and replace the rotors with brembo blanks.

Also, get your calipers checked, maybe they are sticking, in turn warping the rotors.
Old 01-08-08, 01:15 PM
mandyfig

Guys has anybody done the DIY on the pad replacement for our RX330-350's? Thanks in advance. I am scheduled to do this on my 30K. I am down to 2 mm on my pads, need to do it!
Old 01-08-08, 02:17 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I had 2000 RX300 and didn’t have brake problem, but that was my wife’s ride (she is not aggressive driver).
From my brake issues experienced on my Acuras and from other Acura owners’ experience, OEM brake components are the best for normal driving condition in our vehicles.
I am not talking about drag racing, etc. Anyone who believes that Lexus (or any other manufacturer) would put inferior brake components in their cars is not in the right mind. Car manufacturers go through very extensive parts design and selection, especially brake components. No car manufacturer ever wants to end up with lawsuit on their hands, and do not want to deal with brake issues free to car owner during warranty period.
Our car rotors can be turned as long as the width of the rotor is above “reject size”. That size is unique to each rotor type/model and is marked on each rotor.
Somebody mentioned here that with turning rotors loose their ability to dissipate heat from brakes. Absolutely true. Imagine that all car kinetic energy turns to heat during braking. That’s a lot of energy to absorb. However, if you have normal driving style, you should not have that warping problem, unless it is provoked by something else. For example, washing your car right after long stop-n-go driving will for sure warp rotors. Also, brakes are cooled by oncoming air during driving. If your car has underbody cladding damaged (it is usually designed to funnel upcoming air to some car components), or you install lower body kit that deflects air, you will have problem with rotors sooner or later.
Old 01-08-08, 02:30 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Guys has anybody done the DIY on the pad replacement for our RX330-350's? Thanks in advance. I am scheduled to do this on my 30K. I am down to 2 mm on my pads, need to do it!
Replacing pads on RX is very simple. Do a search on Google for "Camry Pad Replacement" and you'll find plenty of DYI step-by-step guides. Replacing pads on RX is identical to replacing pads on Camry or even Highlander.

-- Andrey
Old 01-08-08, 07:24 PM
mandyfig

Ok, I have done my Camry many times and actually think they will be similar. Might as well do a DIY when I do it for those who are on the fence on being a pseudo DIY. Sometimes the best way to love your car is to actually work on it.

I am also familiar with Honda-Acura.