RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Trailer Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-07, 12:24 PM
ddawsonis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Wiring Harness

I am trying to locate the wiring connection for a trailer on my RX400h The manual states that the vehicle is equipped with a harness 'stored in the rear end underbody', but I can't find it, nor can my dealer. Can anybody help??
Old 09-09-07, 01:46 PM
Ritzyblue
Driver School Candidate

Sent you a pm
Old 09-09-07, 02:10 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

left rear of vehicle, you have to remove the cover where the emergency fuel door release cable is, it is black taped to the harness right there. If your somewhat technical you can also access this pulg by removing a body plug under the vehicle and if you look straight up you see the wire harness and the white plug.
Old 09-09-07, 02:37 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Snce we are on this subject--can anyone post some pictures of your Trailer hitch install on the RX?

What looks better the a stock hitch you can get from Lexus or an aftermarket one?
Old 09-09-07, 02:52 PM
Ritzyblue
Driver School Candidate

Default Trailer Wiring Harness

I just bought my 08 RX 350 and was looking everywhere for photos on this hitch project, But no such luck. So I decided to do my own and help others. Well i've taken half a day and compiled some photos and wrote down all the directions with pics the best i could. Its not 100% because I already had the hitch partially mounted before I decided to take some photos for you guys. But I have the full install of the interior with factory lexus hitch. (Factory is well worth the little extra it costs to have plug and play wiring and clean job too) I believe all that lacks from the hitch point is I didn't take photos of removing the original tow hooks and mounting the hitch. Well here go's. I can't believe the dealer charges so much for this. This was a piece of cake for the average joe. Even if your somewhat mechanically inclined you should be able to handle this.. Oh and the photos loaded backwards so the bottom of the pics are first...

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/Ritzyblue/

Good luck and I hope this helps
Old 09-09-07, 03:50 PM
ddawsonis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help...I will work on that in the morning. The hitch I installed went in very easily - I will post a couple of pics tomorrow. Its an aftermarket hitch from Hidden Hitch, Class 3. Had to remove the tiedown brackets, and then remove two plastic splash panels from underneath - I cut these a bit to get around the hitch then reinstalled them.
Old 09-09-07, 03:52 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Great DIY! Thanks a bunch. Great presentation. Nice OEM Hitch. How much did the dealer want?
Old 09-09-07, 06:48 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

DDawson how much diferant does your hitch look compared to the Lexus hitch?

Im sure Lexus gets there hitches from someone but I bet its custo made for Lexus the way they wanted it to look
Old 09-09-07, 06:55 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ritzyblue
I just bought my 08 RX 350 and was looking everywhere for photos on this hitch project, But no such luck. So I decided to do my own and help others. Well i've taken half a day and compiled some photos and wrote down all the directions with pics the best i could. Its not 100% because I already had the hitch partially mounted before I decided to take some photos for you guys. But I have the full install of the interior with factory lexus hitch. (Factory is well worth the little extra it costs to have plug and play wiring and clean job too) I believe all that lacks from the hitch point is I didn't take photos of removing the original tow hooks and mounting the hitch. Well here go's. I can't believe the dealer charges so much for this. This was a piece of cake for the average joe. Even if your somewhat mechanically inclined you should be able to handle this.. Oh and the photos loaded backwards so the bottom of the pics are first...

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/Ritzyblue/

Good luck and I hope this helps

Look good! Can you take a few more side shots and close ups around your hitch form the back....
Old 09-09-07, 07:38 PM
Ritzyblue
Driver School Candidate

Booyah,

I'll snap a few more shots tomorrow and post'em and the box the hitch came in said toyota on the outside of it.

Last edited by Ritzyblue; 09-09-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 08:27 AM
ddawsonis
Driver School Candidate

I'm not the photographer that Ritzyblue is, but I've taken a couple of external pics of my install.

http://www.flickr.com/gp/13154342@N07/1Q65d4

This is an aftermarket Class 3 unit by Hidden Hitch. Installs qite easily, 6 bolts.

Thanks to all for your help with the electrical part, I've located the harness and now have to get a cable to connect into it.
Old 09-10-07, 08:50 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

I am thinking abou getting a trailer hitch...can you guys let me know where you went to buy this?

Thanks...
Old 09-10-07, 09:25 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 237 Likes on 164 Posts

I just ordered one from Carson. Luis is great to deal with. Good price, will ship anywhere, including the hotel in North Conway, NH where we will be going for a few vacation days later this month.

BTW, anybody know a good mechanic there? Want to get it installed before we cross the border back home!
Old 09-10-07, 09:58 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for an RX330 that came without towing package, what is the cost to install an OEM hitch?

Do you guys have an OEM parts vendor on forum that gives discounts on parts for CL members?
Old 09-10-07, 10:07 AM
ddawsonis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
I am thinking abou getting a trailer hitch...can you guys let me know where you went to buy this?

Thanks...
Got mine over the internet, from hitchestogo.com

Quick Reply: Trailer Wiring Harness