RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Equivalent Toyota Part: Oil, Air, Cabin Filter.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 05:18 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Equivalent Toyota Part: Oil, Air, Cabin Filter.

Hi,
I do my own oil changes on my 07 RX350 and I thought I'd let people know the equivalent parts at the Toyota dealership because most likely, they will be much cheaper.

Oil Filter:
Part# 04152-YZZA1
Or ask for the oil filter for a 2006 Avalon, others cars are possible too.

Air Filter:
Part# 17801-0H010
Or ask for the air filter for a 2007 Highlander, both V6 or V4 are the same.

Cabin Filter:
Don't know the part# because I did not buy it, it looks crappy, the purolator ones are made by Micron Air and look better.
Or ask for the cabin filter for a 2006 Camry.

In my area, the toyota dealer charges $3.99 with a easily found coupon for the oil filter and $12.99 for the air filter with easily found coupon.

Lexus obviously charges more than double sometimes triple for the same exact parts. The oil filter is the best deal because I bought an aftermarket oil filter, the Purolator from Pep Boys for $10, so the dealer is cheaper in this instance.

Alex
Old 09-13-07, 10:31 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by moolman
In my area, the toyota dealer charges $3.99 with a easily found coupon for the oil filter and $12.99 for the air filter with easily found coupon.

Alex
Which Toyota dealership you referring to? $12.99 is a bargain!

Thanks for the great info.!!
Old 09-13-07, 10:40 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Glendale Toyota, I went there once to fix something on my Prius and ever since then I've been getting coupons sent, the coupon flyer comes once a month at least. $3.99 for the oil filter and $12.99 for the air filter. I thought their price on the crush washer was a bit expensive though, 90 cents each.

Alex
Old 09-13-07, 11:29 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder how long before someone attacks you for even suggesting the idea of putting "toyota" parts in your lexus.
Old 09-13-07, 11:36 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AM1
i wonder how long before someone attacks you for even suggesting the idea of putting "toyota" parts in your lexus.

Is the same thing!
Old 09-13-07, 11:39 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Glendale Toyota, I went there once to fix something on my Prius and ever since then I've been getting coupons sent, the coupon flyer comes once a month at least. $3.99 for the oil filter and $12.99 for the air filter. I thought their price on the crush washer was a bit expensive though, 90 cents each.

Alex
thanks! a bit too far for me.

So, is this the Toyota part # for the air filter?

Air Filter:
Part# 17801-0H010
Old 09-14-07, 12:28 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lextranny
thanks! a bit too far for me.

So, is this the Toyota part # for the air filter?

Air Filter:
Part# 17801-0H010
It's should be the part number at both Lexus and Toyota. It's the part # that is on the box.

As for the other poster, Toyota and Lexus use the same parts, if you were to buy the oil filter and air filter at the Lexus dealership, you'll get the same filters, the same red/white box that says Toyota, yes, the Lexus dealership uses the same parts as Toyota, Shocking I know. You will get some extras though buying from Lexus, a higher price and some nice coffee and donughts on the way out of the dealership.
Old 09-14-07, 05:09 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

If I may suggest that the moderator is to make this thread as a "sticky"
very useful info
Old 09-14-07, 11:22 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Is the same thing!
i know its the same thing. i was just joking since some people on this board act like putting a lesser toyota part on their car will make it explode or something.
Old 09-15-07, 12:19 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

It's should be the part number at both Lexus and Toyota. It's the part # that is on the box.

As for the other poster, Toyota and Lexus use the same parts, if you were to buy the oil filter and air filter at the Lexus dealership, you'll get the same filters, the same red/white box that says Toyota, yes, the Lexus dealership uses the same parts as Toyota, Shocking I know. You will get some extras though buying from Lexus, a higher price and some nice coffee and donughts on the way out of the dealership.
Doughnuts? I stay away from that stuff! Years later....you will get a bypass transplant.

Thanks for the info...calling my local Toyota dealer and see how much they are.
Old 09-15-07, 08:40 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
I always get a chuckle out of this. But there is a serious consequence.

When some NON-Lexus owners point out that Lexus is Toyota, a good majority has their hair raised up and vehemently say that Lexus is not generic Toyota. To add injury to insult the next statement is look at the etching on the glass it says Toyota.

Lexus on its part has started to put Lexus on the glass and the filters etc and is making an effort to further the brand distinction.

Now the consumer (Lexus owner here) after spending the extra $10k (estimate), is trying its best to save on recurring maintenance costs and exhibits hippocracy [I could not come up with a better word (I am not gloating here, just stating my limitation as english is not my first language) .. applicable to those who think Lexus is not a Toyota] This applies down to crush washer and all the way up to timing belt change.

The humor part end when I say ... If you go to Toyota, then do not hesitate to say that you drive a Toyota.

The serious issue (off topic): There are consequences of this action. As Lexus tries to build the brand differentiation, and the consumers keep going to least common denominator, something will have to give.

[on topic]
No one needs to buy Toyota products for Lexus. You have third party and generic parts ... like the crush washer can be replaced with nylon washers which can last 2 or three changes. If you search there is a DIY to build your own filter too.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 09-15-07 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-15-07, 06:14 PM
sama
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I always get a chuckle out of this. But there is a serious consequence.

When some NON-Lexus owners point out that Lexus is Toyota, a good majority has their hair raised up and vehemently say that Lexus is not generic Toyota. To add injury to insult the next statement is look at the etching on the glass it says Toyota.

Lexus on its part has started to put Lexus on the glass and the filters etc and is making an effort to further the brand distinction.

Now the consumer (Lexus owner here) after spending the extra $10k (estimate), is trying its best to save on recurring maintenance costs and exhibits hippocracy [I could not come up with a better word (I am not gloating here, just stating my limitation as english is not my first language) .. applicable to those who think Lexus is not a Toyota] This applies down to crush washer and all the way up to timing belt change.

The humor part end when I say ... If you go to Toyota, then do not hesitate to say that you drive a Toyota.

The serious issue (off topic): There are consequences of this action. As Lexus tries to build the brand differentiation, and the consumers keep going to least common denominator, something will have to give.

[on topic]
No one needs to buy Toyota products for Lexus. You have third party and generic parts ... like the crush washer can be replaced with nylon washers which can last 2 or three changes. If you search there is a DIY to build your own filter too.

Salim
My 2 cents: There is nothing wrong in saving some bucks here and there and at the same time maintain your vehicle in good condition by getting genuine Toyota parts.

My dealer here charges $160 for a oil change and a Toyota dealer charges $34.95 done in 30 minutes or your next oil change is free.

These things add up say for 100,000 miles or 20 Oil changes it is :
Lexus: $3200 vs for Toyota $699

I maintain all the receipts for Warranty purposes and also get a lonaer vehicle if the service is more than $200. If it is a exclusive Lexus part the dealer gets it from their Sister Lexus dealer couple of blocks away.

I do not want to pay money for the "Lexus" experience for donuts/starbucks coffee or wireless internet or Loaner Lexus vehicle.

Toyota did not have the Lexus brand until recently in Japan, RX is sold as Harrier in Toyota's home country.
Old 09-15-07, 10:13 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Actually, I buy Toyota parts mainly because they are even cheaper than 3rd party parts from Pep Boys and autozone. For the first oil change I did myself, I bought a purolator oil filter but it was $10. My toyota dealer had it for $4 with coupon, actually the regular price I think is $7 so it's still cheaper. The cartridge filters seem to be expensive in general at auto parts stores. There are some limits to saving money though, I have a prius and I use the K&N oil filter because I saw the toyota filter and they are crap, just a piece of paper in there. Main thing for me is that I just like to save money, sure I have the money to spend if needed but I'm a cheap guy sometimes, just know where to be cheap at, not with friends and family. Except this week, I just bought a 52" Samsung 71 series LCD to watch USC football. No motion blur with the 120mhz refresh rate.

Also, I posted before how I went to Glendale Lexus and they won't just do an oil change, they will only do the "recommended maintainence" it was about $200. No way I'm paying for that.
Old 09-16-07, 12:00 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Actually, I buy Toyota parts mainly because they are even cheaper than 3rd party parts from Pep Boys and autozone. For the first oil change I did myself, I bought a purolator oil filter but it was $10. My toyota dealer had it for $4 with coupon, actually the regular price I think is $7 so it's still cheaper. The cartridge filters seem to be expensive in general at auto parts stores. There are some limits to saving money though, I have a prius and I use the K&N oil filter because I saw the toyota filter and they are crap, just a piece of paper in there. Main thing for me is that I just like to save money, sure I have the money to spend if needed but I'm a cheap guy sometimes, just know where to be cheap at, not with friends and family. Except this week, I just bought a 52" Samsung 71 series LCD to watch USC football. No motion blur with the 120mhz refresh rate.

Also, I posted before how I went to Glendale Lexus and they won't just do an oil change, they will only do the "recommended maintainence" it was about $200. No way I'm paying for that.
Someone who has some common sense. Salimshah said it about right, without directly making fun of anyone here. If glendale lexus refuses to just do the oil change give lexus HQ a call and tell them what the dealer told you. My RX330 is npow near 37K, i've never done anything more then oil changes every 7K or so and i only do oil changes at outside independent places. All the warranty work i needed my local dealer has done them. they tried to insist that i do the mainteneance there i said "NO WAY" and they just dropped it. screw dealers who make ish up.
Old 08-28-09, 11:08 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Cabin Filter # 87139YZZ05

Quick Reply: Equivalent Toyota Part: Oil, Air, Cabin Filter.