RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

iPod integration - DICE

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 11:47 AM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iPod integration - DICE

I found some information about using the DICE buried in another older thread so I started this one hoping to find more up to date info.

I am looking for iPod integration and was looking at the Vais unit.

This unit has 2 modes. I rarely use play lists so the first mode (which shows text on the NAV unit) is pretty much useless for me.
The 2nd mode allows direct iPod control but doesn't show song information on the NAV screen.

From reading about the DICE unit for BMWs it seems that song information is displayed on the NAV screen AND gives direct control of the iPod.

Does anyone use this unit on the RX350 or 400h?
Does it give direct iPod control while showing the song info on the NAV screen?

thanks,
tom
Old 09-17-07, 11:12 PM
javanutsy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know as well... I have the DICE unit in my BMW and it allows full control from the Ipod as well as control from the steering wheel and stereo buttons, plus ID3 text displays and scrolls on the stereo LCD.
Old 09-18-07, 06:22 AM
richardrx
Rookie

I have it for my 2004 RX 330
It works great.
Full control of Ipod from steering and audio unit.
It shows the song on the LCD audio screen not the NAV.
Old 09-18-07, 03:44 PM
tomv
Driver

Originally Posted by richardrx
I have it for my 2004 RX 330
It works great.
Full control of Ipod from steering and audio unit.
It shows the song on the LCD audio screen not the NAV.
Do you possibly have it set incorrectly? or it may have simply changed functionality with the different model years.

I received the following reply from DICE support. I asked them for clarification about the DICE and Lexus RX compatibility and if the CD info would display on the NAV screen.

"The i-Toyota-R is the correct kit for your vehicle. This kit allows for text and control from the radio/steering wheel AND iPod itself (except for the iPhone and brand new iPod Classic, brand new Nano, and brand new iPod Touch). This kit works in Toyota's and Lexus'."

"Yes, the song title and artist is displayed on the nav screen when a song is playing from the iPod. Basically, in the same location as where your CD-text pops up."
Old 09-26-07, 01:54 AM
tomv
Driver

I'm getting ready to order the DICE kit but have a question about what to order.
I'd like to keep the iPod in the center console but is the cable that comes standard long enough for this install? I believe I read that the cable is 3 feet.
If it isn't, can a longer one be ordered?

thanks,
tom
Old 09-28-07, 07:12 AM
CarNutTO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomv
"Yes, the song title and artist is displayed on the nav screen when a song is playing from the iPod. Basically, in the same location as where your CD-text pops up."
CD-text doesn't show on the navigation screen; only on the radio LCD. It's the same as the VAIS unit - the VAIS website clearly states that the song/artist info ONLY shows on the navigation screen IF the radio can be controlled already through the navigation screen. This is NOT the case with the RX, but is the case on some Toyota/Lexus models.
Old 10-31-07, 04:06 PM
r0chEe
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased the Dice unit but have yet to receive it... Upon reading
the thread I've noticed:
"(except for the iPhone and brand new iPod Classic, brand new Nano, and brand new iPod Touch)."
So what's the actual problem with connecting up with the newer iPODs [I've got the Nano Video]?

I've got the Levinson stereo [6disc indash], has any1 has any probs/experiences with connecting the Dice unit to it?

Thanks

Last edited by r0chEe; 10-31-07 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 11:55 PM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

Originally Posted by r0chEe
I just purchased the Dice unit but have yet to receive it... Upon reading
the thread I've noticed:
"(except for the iPhone and brand new iPod Classic, brand new Nano, and brand new iPod Touch)."
So what's the actual problem with connecting up with the newer iPODs [I've got the Nano Video]?

I've got the Levinson stereo [6disc indash], has any1 has any probs/experiences with connecting the Dice unit to it?

Thanks
I have the same unit. It works fully with the original nano (i.e., you can control through the car and the nano). However, with the new nano, you can only control it through the car, not the nano.
Old 11-30-07, 07:16 AM
boatable
Driver School Candidate

Default Who has best price on DICE?

Does anyone know who was the best price on a DICE unit? Is there a post on how to remove rx330 radio?
Old 11-30-07, 10:25 AM
fud
Rookie

Originally Posted by boatable
Does anyone know who was the best price on a DICE unit? Is there a post on how to remove rx330 radio?

Here's the link to taking the radio apart.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227901
Old 12-06-07, 05:20 PM
Sir Topas
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to throw this out since nobody has mentioned it directly on this thread:

(taken from http://www.icarkits.com/product_info.php?products_id=66) emphasis mine

The I-TOYOTA-R comes with everything you need to connect an iPod to your vehicle's. No additional cables or equipment are necessary. You can install the adapter yourself, or take the adapter to any local car stereo shop or dealership to have put in. This adapter is not compatible with vehicles that have a rear seat DVD system. If you have satellite radio, it will need to be disconnected.
Old 03-18-09, 02:38 PM
flnsx
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the best price you have found this for a where?
Old 03-19-09, 07:34 AM
Heraldo
Driver School Candidate

Default USA Spec

Try this one... works perfectly and very cheap.