RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

enough tranny issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 03:21 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3rd time youve taken it back to the dealer for the tranny?
Old 10-08-07, 12:00 AM
MC Wong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

Went to my loca Lexus dealer today and they went for a drive with me but cannot fault the any tranny issues. So they have now refered my case to Lexus Australia and will call me back within the next few days on where to go. Will wait and see. Will keep you all updated on the latest.

Cheers
Old 10-08-07, 07:22 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default After ECU reset drive it like you stole it

Seriously, drive the snot out of it. The tranny has an adaptive learning process it goes through. From other posts and from personal experience some, including myself, have obtained better shift performance from flooring it and driving it very hard after an ECU reset. Try it, you'll like it and be sure to report back. You may need a new reset however at this point. Depends how many miles since the last reset.
Old 10-09-07, 12:36 AM
MC Wong
Rookie

Well, my car has just been in for a 50,000km service and the ecu has been reset at the service. But will give your suggestion a try. Will I need to floor the thing all the time. Fuel consumption is already pretty average and I am not driving it that hard.
Old 10-09-07, 04:01 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would drive the **** out of it, but I live in NYC so that is hard to do. I'm not going to race to the next red light.
Old 10-09-07, 07:20 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Drive it hard, really hard for-

a couple tanks of gas or 500 miles and see if it makes a difference afterwards when you revert back to normal driving patterns. Actually driving it hard for this purpose means accelerating hard every chance you get even when you don't think necessary. I'm not talking about driving dangereously, just floor it through the gears when you can. Just get on it, heck you may never revet back to your old ways.
Old 10-10-07, 02:12 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

if the tranny has a problem shifting the update and reflash of the ECU is NOT i repeat NOT going to fix anything. I always drive the car hard, hell i get around 13-13.5 mpg normally and even after the Reflash the tranny was still the same. in fact it actually got worse and even the techs at the local dealer said that getting the update and reflash might even make it worse.
Old 10-10-07, 06:29 AM
MC Wong
Rookie

AM1, has driving the car hard solved your tranny issues?
Old 10-11-07, 02:13 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

nope. the tranny still does whatever it feels like. somedays the tranny is ok and shifts fine.other days it shifts like it has a slipping clutch. when i need power like getting on a freeway i usually get nothing. when i dont need it many times the tranny just takes off. i think its time to go back to the dealer to complain again
Old 10-11-07, 03:10 AM
MC Wong
Rookie

Hehe. I have been having a good week so far but the tranny does play up a bit. Like you can feel the car is trying to hold a gear instead of just downshifting and getting on with it. But I think the dealer thinks I am a nut job when I tell them its still not right. Even though ever time I go for a drive with the dealer it drives smooth as silk.
Old 10-11-07, 11:26 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

you have to have them drive it when its cold (morning) and also take it onto a freeway. Trust me the dealers know whats wrong with it. they wont say much, because there isnt much they can do. so they just keep quiet.
Old 10-15-07, 07:41 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

well my car is back at the dealership this morning. i am having the same 1-2, loss of power, kick into gear stuff. Usually my mom brings in it, this time I did. I didnt have the same advisor check me in in the morning, but when I called to check, I had the usual advisor (Mariano-Lexus of Queens) pick up and knew exactly who I was even though we have never met or seen eachother.Sad huh? He wasn't too happy because the problem keeps occuring and wish t would be solved already... We now bring the car in with no apppointment at all and they have no problems with that. (Tho we don't need a car since we live/work so close - they drive my mom to work after she drops it off... hahaha).

One thing that makes me happy is how the dealership deals with us, they accommodate us well, though I wish they would just be able to fix the problem so I don't have to see them again!
Old 10-15-07, 08:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I thought only Range Rover owners know their service advisor that well
Old 10-15-07, 08:45 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

this happens to be the ONLY problem we've ever had with the rx, it just keeps happening over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Old 10-15-07, 10:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have a clunk sound shifting, you have alot more problem than the lag.

Quick Reply: enough tranny issues...