RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

04 rear camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 12:48 PM
Pad Man
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 rear camera

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. I bought my wife an 04 RX330 last year with low miles. She now has about 55000 miles on it and the rear camera went bad. I took it to the dealer and they said its out of warranty and it would be about 900+ to replace. I have been doing some research about Eclipse brand cameras that might work. The vehicle has the Nav system, Mark levinson stereo also. I just cant justify that amount of money for a little camera, but then again, on such a nice vehicle, its irritating when something is not working . Anyone have any help on the cam? Is there an aftermarket one that will work? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eric
Old 10-08-07, 04:32 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I hadn't thought about it but once you get used to that back up cam, you come to depend on it. I've been doing some research for installing one on "Project Cheapskate" the renovation of my wife's old minivan - and have found several cameras that might even be better than the OEM. Google backup camera and check it out. There are several cameras that incorporate their own IR lighting to enable them to "see" in the dark, one of the failings of the Lexus OEM camera. I assume they would require the same 12v and video leads that the existing camera uses. Some users mount the larger cameras inside the back window.
Old 10-09-07, 10:39 AM
Pad Man
Driver School Candidate

Default Backup-camera

I looked into aftermarket, but Dont know if they are compatible. The Nav system on our also incoorporates the heating/AC controls. I am just looking to see if there is a camera that will work with the factory Nav. Thanks.

Eric
Old 10-10-07, 07:54 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pad Man
I looked into aftermarket, but Dont know if they are compatible. The Nav system on our also incoorporates the heating/AC controls. I am just looking to see if there is a camera that will work with the factory Nav. Thanks.

Eric
Ouch!! $900 is a lot but hey it is a Lexus
When you went to the dealer did they give you the details of what went wrong? There are 3 things that can go wrong: camera ECU , the camera itself or just the wire harness itself.
If the television camera ECU detects a malfunction:
the ECU Stops signal reception and displays a dark screen this condition indicates the Camera has gone bad

If the ECu goes bad it does not work at all.

Are you getting a dark screen? this means the camera has gone bad
If it is the case just give a shot by :

1) Checking the wire harness if it is OK then
2) Replacing just the camera which you can get for between $99 & $149 at any of the pepboys or autozone stores.

Try this at your own risk or go to a mechanic Remove the existing camera by:
Remove back door trim panel assembly upper
Remove back door garnish
Remove television camera
Disconnect the connector and disengage the clamp.
Disengage the 2 claws and remove the television
camera.
Old 10-11-07, 12:34 PM
Pad Man
Driver School Candidate

Default backup camera

the nav screen in reverse goes from white to black to extremely blurry. The dealer said it was a camera. What my concern is, I need an aftermarket camera that will work in its place. The dealer said Lexus was the only place to get it. I can modify the location for a different camera to work somewhere else, but I am concerned with if the wiring will work with an aftermarket camera
Old 10-12-07, 07:58 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure but practically all of the "backup cameras" operate on 12vdc. The output is either a video signal, or in some cases a wireless (Wifi) signal. What makes me think a video output would work is that the RSES output (and aux input) play a standard video signal just fine on the nav screen. You may find that the signal must be "flipped" right to left to make it appear to be a mirror, but from the configuration of some of the aftermarket camera-monitor combos, it looks like that switch is taking place at the monitor end.

I'm not able to take apart the hatch to test this for a few weeks, but some enterprising person might want to test the output of the OEM camera on a standard monitor, then check the appearance of a tuner, an old VHS deck, or a home camera on the nav screen (be caureful, it will only work with the shifter in "reverse").

Old 10-12-07, 08:46 AM
Pad Man
Driver School Candidate

Default back-up

So am i correct in assuming that any backup camera, just the camera, will work as a replacement?

Eric
Old 10-13-07, 04:53 AM
RHODY401
Rookie

Mine went bad also, and I'll be getting it fixed under warrantee. It has a streaky display, and it does work at night - just not in daylight.

Example: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1128958202.html

My guess is that the cameras use defective Sony CCD's. There have been many camera products recalled due to defective CCD's produced by Sony, including over 100 different digital and video camera models. (many brands) They have the exact same symptom. (streaking/blurry display and sensitivity to light). The bad CCD sensors were manufactured between October 2002- March 2004, which matches the production time of the '04 RX.

This is PURELY a guess, and I dont know for sure who makes the CCD in these Toyota camera units. In the case of the digital and video cameras, the companies (Canon, Sony, Fuji, Konica, Minolta, Ricoh, Olympus, etc) are replacing them beyond the warrantee period.

Mike
Old 10-17-07, 02:11 AM
Spotnsabby
Rookie

The Eclipse brand camera is the same as lexus. You can look at one at Circuit City. The wiring should be the same. One thing to remember is the camera works off 6 volts not 12volts!!!!! I would also call Lexus, this is a common problem they have.
Old 10-17-07, 04:18 AM
RHODY401
Rookie

I REALLY miss that camera. I became so used to having it there.

I have an appointment to get mine replaced, among other things. It's still under warrantee, and I got the impression it has been a common problem.

This has, by far, been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. It has been in the shop, for recalls and warrantee issues, more times than 10 or so previous vehicles combined. I read yesterday that Lexus/Toyota slipped from #1 to #5 in quality/reliability ratings, and i'm wondering if they based that on my Canadian built 2004? ha ha

Although I really believe in the company's innovation with Hybrid, etc, they will be much lower on the shopping list this spring when Im shopping for a replacement.

Enough is enough
Old 10-17-07, 09:26 AM
Pad Man
Driver School Candidate

After doing extensive research and phone calls, this is what I have found out. The 04 Lexus cameras are proprietary (sp). Not just any camera will work. They have had problems with the cameras, but not enough to make a recall. I will look at the Eclipse camera and share what i find. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 10-17-07, 10:59 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RHODY401
I REALLY miss that camera. I became so used to having it there.

I have an appointment to get mine replaced, among other things. It's still under warrantee, and I got the impression it has been a common problem.

This has, by far, been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. It has been in the shop, for recalls and warrantee issues, more times than 10 or so previous vehicles combined. I read yesterday that Lexus/Toyota slipped from #1 to #5 in quality/reliability ratings, and i'm wondering if they based that on my Canadian built 2004? ha ha

Although I really believe in the company's innovation with Hybrid, etc, they will be much lower on the shopping list this spring when Im shopping for a replacement.

Enough is enough
Thats fighting words there. some people on this board are gonna go nuts if you talk bad about their "perfect" rx's. Mine is just like yours, problems galore.
Old 11-24-07, 02:04 PM
RHODY401
Rookie

Followup: Re 2004 defective backup cameras

They replaced mine under warrantee.

Today, a letter arrived from Lexus regarding a campaign to replace these beyond the 50k warrantee. It's a known issue where they are failing, and they'll reimburse anyone who previously paid to have theirs replaced.

If this applies, contact customer care.

Best regards,
Mike

"2004 Model year RX330, Optional read (back up) camera warranty enhancement notification

Lexus has received reports that the rear (back-up) camera equipped as an option on some 2004 model year RX 330 vehicles may have an internal connection that could become disconnected under certain circumstances, resulting in an inoperative camera....."
Old 11-25-07, 02:35 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the same letter for my 04 RX. i haven't had any issues with my camera in almost 5 years though...
Old 12-10-07, 09:23 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also received a letter regarding the Camera... What kind of problem have they been talking about? Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 04 rear camera