RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Thought Id Share this Predicament

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 08:14 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Hold it guys.

Why do you think RXSF posted this thread?

To share his experience with a hint of remorse for doing thing which in normal circumstances he would not [read his post again]

H(w)e cant undo what has already happened. We can hypothetically put ourselves in his position and now discuss what h(w)e should have done. Sitting behind a terminal, far removed from reality we can choose to be humorous, understanding, constructively share ideas and unfortunately insulting. Keep in mind the CL community members are friends, so please treat them as such.

Lil4x post shows how laughter can be interpreted in multiple ways, so may be i am having a bad morning.

Salim
Old 10-15-07, 08:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I was in a situation like that once and wish I haven’t done what I did too. We all do stupid things when we get frustrated in traffic. What I hate is people who gets mad when you don’t let them in. They are supposed to yield to traffic when they merge. If you are going straight, you have the right of way, you don’t have to let them in. Sometimes I am nice and let them merge but by no mean am I require to. Just because you didn’t let him merge, that doesn’t make you wrong. Now giving him the finger after that, that’s a diff. Story.
Old 10-15-07, 08:27 AM
papan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine, except when he showed middle finger the other guy pulled a gun out and shot his back windows. Since then I don’t show fingers in traffic.
Old 10-15-07, 10:22 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i didnt realize the middle finger was such a big deal...its like for gods sake. im totally in the right in the lane thing, because it was a single lane turn and plenty of signs that says right lane bay bridge. for god sake, if he had any sense in him, he should have noted the long line of cars behind me. hmm, did we just wait there for 30 minutes for fun?

and he did it incorrectly too, if i were in he situation, i wouldnt just speed up and try to cut in front of someone. i would have signalled on the side (he had no signal btw), opened by window, and gave the hand thank you to the person. then i would have let him in.

like i said, im a pretty passive person, but traffic really gets to me.

and this ISNT being racist, but he was a middle aged white man, so i dont think he would have a gun in his E class benz...if the car had tinted windows all around and was an escalade rolling on 23", then yeh...
Old 10-15-07, 11:40 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Signalling the birdie is escalation of hostility and is considered provocation. Although you were wronged, but you could have been ticketed for exhibiting road rage for the indecent gesture.

As far as not letting some one in intentionally, (even though the other is not driving by the rules) is against you as you failed to avoid an accident. Right of way is more for the others to give, rather than for you take.

I am not advocating to be timid, but simply pointing out that there a more important things in life that one should pursue (pick and choose your battles). If you were not upset at the traffic/delay, you might have waved the person in.

Salim
Old 10-15-07, 04:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

If you think you had to deal with that in California, come down to Mexico City. I deal with these ****** all the time. Most of the time, it is that they are oblivious to those around them, absolute complete ignorance, no turn signals, no looking, it's just me and my highway. I have to often practice a great degree of zen matched with extreme driving skills. And sometimes my emotions get the best of me. I have gotten into a few shouting matches and some occasional fists being thrown before things got calmer. It's such a common occurrence, that the police officers at my track the other day were commenting to me that that as long as no one presses charges, they just let people go about their own business. Most people don't press charges.

And I have heard from other foreigners here who think, oh this is nothing, you want to see crappy drivers, come to X country.

I know such of a country and place, Caracas, Venezuela, and I remember my father kept a gun in the glove compartment (legally) and so did just about everyone else, luckily he never had to pull it out except to clean it and occasionally practice with it.

In addition, learning to drive in Miami, I saw my fair share of road rage incidents, but nothing like Mexico City or Caracas.

So, it could be worse.
Old 10-16-07, 09:27 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
i didnt realize the middle finger was such a big deal...its like for gods sake. im totally in the right in the lane thing, because it was a single lane turn and plenty of signs that says right lane bay bridge. for god sake, if he had any sense in him, he should have noted the long line of cars behind me. hmm, did we just wait there for 30 minutes for fun?

and he did it incorrectly too, if i were in he situation, i wouldnt just speed up and try to cut in front of someone. i would have signalled on the side (he had no signal btw), opened by window, and gave the hand thank you to the person. then i would have let him in.

like i said, im a pretty passive person, but traffic really gets to me.

and this ISNT being racist, but he was a middle aged white man, so i dont think he would have a gun in his E class benz...if the car had tinted windows all around and was an escalade rolling on 23", then yeh...

it IS being racist, you figured you could get away with your toughguy ACT since he was an old guy in a Benz.....he called you out and got scared.

you just admitted you wouldnt have pulled the same **** "if the car had tinted windows all around and was an escalade rolling on 23"

at least you wife has some *****, are they her own or has she comandeered yours?

Old 10-16-07, 10:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

What kind of comment is that. Confronting the other driver would only make things worst.
Old 10-16-07, 08:06 PM
cariesfree
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Like you never got caught in the wrong lane? Did anyone let you in?

I think you acted like a dork, dude. We all need to chill a bit and be a bit more courteous. Stupid acts like yours contribute to the cause of road rage incidents that might cost you and your wife your lives someday. It's not like everyone I've met in the Bay area was playing with a full deck. Next time you bird someone you might just find a hole in your forehead. So what was so important about that 16' of real estate in front of you that you couldn't give a guy a break? How would acting like a gentleman have hurt you? Did it save you a lot of time? Cause you any aggravation?

This post is a bit harsh but I can see and agree with your point of view. It's really not worth it esp. around the Bay and/or you have loved one in your car or at home. When you think about the consequences that can occur, it's definitely not worth it. Even trying to block someone from cutting can lead to some serious damages, both your life and your pocket.
Old 10-16-07, 08:14 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

on your part. I'm sorry but it just doesn't make sense, most people have already touched on the things I wanted to say about endangering yourself and your wife, but I mean really it didn't make things easier for you, him, or anyone else around you guys. I know driving in the Bay Area is frustrated and they're plenty of idiots out there, but I just take a deep breath and let them through, then I'm back on my way to where ever I am going. I have tried very hard not to let stupid things bother me and I think it has made me a more easy going person, so I'm just saying sometimes just take that deep breath and let it go.

-Tim
Old 10-16-07, 09:06 PM
RXSF

the problem is that i usually do let it go, to the point where i just couldnt resist it this time. must i go through the bubble analogy?

you figured you could get away with your toughguy ACT
what tough guy act. giving him the middle finger is being tough? it was just my way of telling him to f*** off. i wasnt going to do anything when he came up to my window obviously. i mean, he was probably bigger than I was, i wasnt going to risk getting my face messed up.
Old 10-17-07, 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Would it have made that much of a differnce if you let him merge? What is the difference, 15 more seconds to the bridge? Maybe he had a emergency and he really did need to get to some place fast. Either way, I always try to let people in with a smile, not a middle finger
Old 10-17-07, 07:16 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the problem is that i usually do let it go, to the point where i just couldnt resist it this time. must i go through the bubble analogy?

what tough guy act. giving him the middle finger is being tough? it was just my way of telling him to f*** off. i wasnt going to do anything when he came up to my window obviously. i mean, he was probably bigger than I was, i wasnt going to risk getting my face messed up.
I just don't think he deserved the middle finger, and yes it is a sign of aggression. You're just lucky because your hand wrote a check you couldn't cash had it been any worse. Just have someone throw up the finger to you while you're trying to merge because you made a mistake and see how you feel. I think you were caught up in the moment and completely understand that though.
Old 10-17-07, 10:38 AM
RXSF

it was pretty clear to me that it wasnt a mistake...it really seemed that he did it on purpose because he could have cut in right when he found out he was in the wrong lane....but no, he ignored all the signs and the solid white line to separate the lanes.

Last edited by RXSF; 10-17-07 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-17-07, 10:54 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was pretty clear to me that it wasnt a mistake...it really seemed that he did it on purpose because he could have cut in right when he found out he was in the wrong lane....but no, he ignored all the sides and the solid white line to separate the lanes.
you dont need to justify yourself to anyone on this board. If you thought it was wrong and gave the guy the finger, then cool. All i know is that if someone did that to me i would give them the finger also, regardless of who it is. i have my cell phone, my camera, and my weapon if necessary. I have no problem putting A**hole drivers in their places, don't be a p***y when you drive.

Quick Reply: Thought Id Share this Predicament