RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Thought Id Share this Predicament

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-07, 08:06 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Thought Id Share this Predicament

So i live in san francisco, and going onto the Bay Bridge is like trapping yourself in an entanglement of cars and just really slow traffic. everyone is trying to get onto that damn bridge. so, im waiting there for like 30 minutes, and im inches from this street intersection. There are a long line of cars behind me and everyone is waiting patiently. All of a sudden this Benz E class comes and tries to cut in front of me (and everyone behind me because it was a single lane turn).

now im a pretty passive person but perhaps my bubble just popped this time. I start holding my horn for like 10 seconds; hes inching forward, and im inching forward trying not to let him in. he kind of gives up cause if he didnt, he would have hit me. at this point, people behind me are honking at him too along with me. So as i pass his window, i give him the middle finger which i have never ever done before to anyone...

he then comes out of his car, and punches by window several times, and i cant go anywhere because of the traffic. hes like yelling "OPEN YOUR WINDOW" and pounding at my window. at this point, my wife is like yelling and im just sitting there ignoring him. and finally, he gives up on that too and goes back to his car.

funny thing is that he had a wife and children in the car at the same time...what an embarassment to his family.

I guess my RX glass held up pretty well. probably hurt him for than it hurt my glass. I have his license plate number...anything i can do? everyone in my car thinks i was in the right
Old 10-14-07, 08:19 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You were in the right to not let him in. He was being ***** and trying to get ahead of eveyone--I do the same thing too as idiots try that crap. They just dont want to waiti in that long line as everyone esle does. I wouldnt have given him the finger though, you won just by him being behind you. Could have been a crazy and shot yo azz
Old 10-14-07, 08:23 PM
RXSF

Could have been a crazy and shot yo azz
so true...who would have thought i would need bullet proof glass in downtown SF...?

im sure if it wasnt a middle aged white man in a benz i wouldnt have done anything...but he had family and he was like mid forties to fifties.
Old 10-14-07, 08:25 PM
turbosw20
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL..Every once in a while here in las vegas i get road rage.Be very careful with people out there you never know!!
Old 10-14-07, 08:34 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I wouldn't have liked him cutting in either, but I would have let him cut in. There are simply too many crazy people out there and you can never tell how someone will react.

My son had a similar thing happen in Phoenix and the guy got out of his car with a tire iron and proceeded to destroy all the windows in his car. Other vehicles behind him got the license number and he reported it to the police The guy was arrested. However, thinking over the whole situation, he was just lucky there was no gun involved.
Old 10-14-07, 08:47 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

man, i would be so scared hahaha iv only been driving for about a year and half and i would of done the same thing as you did. But now i know better... If there was a crazy man punching my window i would... i dont know i think i would of taken a pic of him and his car and called the cops.
Old 10-14-07, 09:19 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea I would have immediatly been on the phone dialing 911 and letting him know that too
Old 10-14-07, 11:03 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

I can sympathize with you and am confronted with similar situation without fail returning from work ... where cars get into left turn only lane to advance by 10 cars or so and merge back in at the last minute ... always to the disadvantage of the law abiding people who follow driving in the proper lane [if it happens infrequently, one can attribute it to visitors/or some one not familiar with roads] ... enough of my story.

If you look back, you put yourself, your wife and your property at risk. Was it worth it? You did cross path with an aggressive person [with or without legit reason to be in a hurry] but had he been (assuming that he already was not) on substance abuse and worst still armed, the outcome could have been bad.

The reason I started with my own story was that often times, I am tempted to do the same as what you did. I am not in any position to teach the aggressor. The only thing in my control are my actions. It is a matter of time that the aggressor will run into some one like himself.

Salim
Old 10-14-07, 11:44 PM
RXSF

yeh..your right salim, but at that point, i didnt know what i was doing. the finger just came out, and like i said, ive never done it before to anyone (with meaning). lol. oh well, i guess now ill think twice...
Old 10-15-07, 12:45 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would have done the same thing. if someone pounded on my window i would have jammed a hunting knife i keep in my car right up there.
Old 10-15-07, 12:54 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUT, pounding on the horn for 10 seconds...is kind of too much.
The middle finger = not necessary. You would not do that in public, so don't do that in your car either. Just having your car preventing the guy from cutting in front of you is good enough. (Not many people will actually hit your car just to get into a spot)
On the other hand, I would have called 911 when the guy started to bang on the windows...thats just scary
Old 10-15-07, 05:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

A 911 call could have documented his assault. If you could have solicited at least 1 witness, then he will be in trouble by now. Your finger will not count as a negative. His pounding on your car is willful damage to property. Good that the glass did not break. Then he be deep in dodoo. Good thing you did not succumb to his craziness.
Old 10-15-07, 06:04 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Rather than give him the one-finger salute, try this: laugh at him. My Mom taught me this trick many years ago. It's not aggressive, but if you really want to make him blow a fuse, try it. The idea is pretty good psychology . . . he is trying to intimidate you, but rather than expressing fear or anger of your own, you short-circuit his aggressive behavior with what he expects least - laughter.

In a few rare cases, he may recognize he is making a fool of himself, but there are a few very disturbed people out there who will go ballistic - and a few nearly have a stroke when a threat is met with laughter. Be very careful how you employ this tool - a bemused smile rather than a laugh might be safer.
Old 10-15-07, 07:01 AM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"my wife is like yelling and im just sitting there ignoring him. and finally, he gives up on that too and goes back to his car"

lol it looks like your wife is a bigger man than you are i am sorry, but you instigated by sticking up your middle finger, then you got scared when he approached you.
Old 10-15-07, 07:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Like you never got caught in the wrong lane? Did anyone let you in?

I think you acted like a dork, dude. We all need to chill a bit and be a bit more courteous. Stupid acts like yours contribute to the cause of road rage incidents that might cost you and your wife your lives someday. It's not like everyone I've met in the Bay area was playing with a full deck. Next time you bird someone you might just find a hole in your forehead. So what was so important about that 16' of real estate in front of you that you couldn't give a guy a break? How would acting like a gentleman have hurt you? Did it save you a lot of time? Cause you any aggravation?

Quick Reply: Thought Id Share this Predicament