RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 08:09 AM
STDave
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air compressor

I am wanting to get a compact 12v air compressor for my wifes RX350. I want it to fit in the storage compartment by the tire tools. Has anyone found one that fits in there? What brand?
TIA
Dave
Old 10-19-07, 09:41 AM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

I would suggest get the 110v type [pancake compressors]. Unless there has been some advancement, the volume throughput on 12v compressors does not cut it.

I dont want to sound sexist but I can say that although my wife knows the steps to change the tire, but lifting one out and replacing it with another is not what I expect her to do . Carry a club card, fix-a-flat, or just drive slowly to a service station (even on rims). [fix-a-flat and driving practically ruins the tire, but the chances are that th tire would need replacement. Fixable tires are generally spotted by slow leaks].

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 10-19-07 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-19-07, 10:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by STDave
I am wanting to get a compact 12v air compressor for my wifes RX350. I want it to fit in the storage compartment by the tire tools. Has anyone found one that fits in there? What brand?
TIA
Dave

Harbor Freight carries a bunch of 12V Air Comps. I have never thought of keeping it in the car. But now I do. Good 1st aid. But as Salim says, if you had a blow out or a severe penetration, the air comp will do you no good. I keep a fix-a-flat handy though.
Old 10-19-07, 12:04 PM
STDave
Rookie

My wife knows how and can change a flat very well. I just wanted a small compressor to air atire up if it is low until she can get home.
My manual states "do not use fix a flat or it may mess up your tire monitoring sensor."
I'll try Harbor Freight though.
Old 10-19-07, 12:40 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not usually a fan of the cheap 12V air compressors because they make more noise than air. However, the folks at Griot's Garage claim that this unit is up to snuff for the type of work you want it to:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....3500&SKU=10299

I have run flat tires in my BMW and I will probably put one of these in the trunk.
Gary
Old 10-19-07, 05:22 PM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

try sears store,auto ,they have nice small ones
Old 10-19-07, 08:15 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by STDave
My wife knows how and can change a flat very well. I just wanted a small compressor to air atire up if it is low until she can get home.
My manual states "do not use fix a flat or it may mess up your tire monitoring sensor."
I'll try Harbor Freight though.
Fix-a-flat is nasty stuff .. every one agrees ... but in pinch it serves its purpose. If you use it, make sure leave a tip for the person who tries to fix the flat.

Driving with low air is not preferred but is not catastrophic. On RX300 you have to lift the spare out of the back. Does it drop down in newer models?

You may like to test the scenario out before you buy or arrange for a return if not satisfied. Friend who bought a 12v pump was unhappy with its performance. You are on the right track asking for proven record.

Salim
Old 10-20-07, 03:42 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah

Driving with low air is not preferred but is not catastrophic. On RX300 you have to lift the spare out of the back. Does it drop down in newer models?
Salim
On my '05 330, the spare is lowered by a cable from inside the trunk area.
Gary
Old 10-26-07, 01:17 AM
rgreen350
Driver School Candidate

The MasterFlow Tsunami MF-1050 portable 12v compressor is popular on the off-roading forums. It is also sold as SuperFlow MV-50. My local PepBoys currently is carrying the MF-1050 for $59 before a $10 rebate. Because of the amps that it draws, it connects directly to the battery with clamps, similar to jumper cables, rather than plugging into the cigarette lighter. I don’t know if it will fit in the storage compartment, but it comes with a black carrying case.
Old 10-26-07, 10:41 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rgreen350
The MasterFlow Tsunami MF-1050 portable 12v compressor is popular on the off-roading forums. It is also sold as SuperFlow MV-50.
That is a substantial looking air compressor. I was looking at the one in Griots Garage only because they pride themselves on having only top notch products (or so they say). Oth, the looks and testimonials about the product you mention is pretty good. I hope to visit a Pep Boys and see how big that thing is. I definetly want one that fits in my well.

Gary
Old 10-27-07, 12:54 PM
rgreen350
Driver School Candidate

It fits in the storage compartment, barely. The MF1050 compressor is in the case with the air outlet pointing up, and I had to remove the air hose from the case.
Attached Thumbnails Air compressor-mf1050.jpg  
Old 10-27-07, 04:46 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rgreen350
It fits in the storage compartment, barely. The MF1050 compressor is in the case with the air outlet pointing up, and I had to remove the air hose from the case.
Great. Thanks for the post and the photo. Did you try out the pump yet? I am curious if it sounds and acts like it can do the job. In my experience, most pumps are noisy, vibrate a lot and barely put out pressure.

Gary
Old 10-27-07, 10:14 PM
salimshah

The pressure typically is not a problem but the flow/volume is .

As an example, if you have air driven tools, the pancake/portable wont be able to do the job as the volume throughput is lacking. Similarly half full tire takes too long to be fully inflated by 12v portables (typically).

Salim
Old 10-27-07, 10:54 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Be careful purchasing these pumps - most of the cheap ones can produce plenty of pressure, but they do so at the expense of volume. I had one take thirty minutes to fill a tire on my boat trailer. The long duty cycle eventually aired up the tire, but it destroyed the compressor in the process.

My wife came home a couple of days ago with a little compressor she found at Big Lots - for $4, after coupons and discounts. It's pretty small, but looks well made. I'm going to mod it with a longer air hose and a better chuck - then cut off the long electrical cable and cig lighter fitting. Long, tiny gauge wires create a lot of resistance and cripple the performance of the pump. You are best off with no more than 3' of wire and a couple of battery terminal clips. I may see what I can do about upsizing that electrical wire too. Project Cheapskate may have its own concept-matching compressor!
Old 10-28-07, 03:47 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

I concur with the thoughts on most 12V air pumps. However, if you look at the original post where this pump was presented to us, there are some pretty decent testimonials from the off road crowd with their big tires and such. Oth, if you need air and you are in the middle of Timbuktu, ANY air compressor is good, isn't it?

Gary

Quick Reply: Air compressor