RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Transmission problem or No problem
Drives smooth no problems
41.67%
Many many problems
25.00%
Not sure, maybe getting to problems
33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 12:58 AM
Jimbo2828
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem?

I'm about to buy an 04' 330 but was a little worried about the transmission problem. Just want to know if it was affecting everyone
Old 10-20-07, 02:14 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the other threads, and youll see for yourself.
Old 10-20-07, 08:27 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I am experiencing the hunting, the lag. Now I am hearing a clunk-thud after I release my gas....
Old 10-20-07, 09:03 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

My wife and I once owned an 04 Sienna with the 3.3L. We had the same issues. I would pass on the car, in my opinion. This issue made the van very unenjoyable to drive.
Old 10-20-07, 09:54 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I was in the market for an RX, I would go with the 350 - when I had one as a loaner, it was 1000% more predictable when shifting and shifts were nicer.
Old 10-20-07, 11:21 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by excluesive
If I was in the market for an RX, I would go with the 350 - when I had one as a loaner, it was 1000% more predictable when shifting and shifts were nicer.
while yes the rx350 might have less of the shifting problem or not have the problem as pronounced, it has the problem too. afterall the tranny is still the same, just the engine is different. ive driven too different rx350s and its still there.
Old 10-20-07, 02:12 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

really? ok u prove me wrong then.
Old 10-20-07, 05:04 PM
Losiho
Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
while yes the rx350 might have less of the shifting problem or not have the problem as pronounced, it has the problem too. afterall the tranny is still the same, just the engine is different.
The gearbox is the same, but the gear ratios are taller in the 350.
Old 10-21-07, 03:24 AM
MC Wong
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I am experiencing the hunting, the lag. Now I am hearing a clunk-thud after I release my gas....
I am experincing the exact same problem over and over again even though Lexus says I have the latest updates. The car drives good sometimes and sometimes it will thump when I take my foot of the gas. Or when i am entering a rough about and accelerating out of a corner it will do a jerky rev then slam into gear. Lexus if you are reading this post, find a solution and help us fellow RX members who are all experiencing this problem.
Old 10-21-07, 09:32 AM
Jimbo2828
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MC Wong
I am experincing the exact same problem over and over again even though Lexus says I have the latest updates.
What are the latest updates? ECU or something part of controlling the transmisson?
Old 10-21-07, 04:56 PM
MC Wong
Rookie

I had my transfer case replaced. ECU reset. ANd transmission flushed. But still shifts are not smooth at times.
Old 10-21-07, 10:57 PM
Jimbo2828
Pole Position

I was just thinking that the Highlander shares the same engine but maybe not the same transmission as the RX. Maybe that transmission might work better.
Old 10-21-07, 11:14 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

I had my transfer case replaced. ECU reset. ANd transmission flushed. But still shifts are not smooth at times.
wait how many miles do you have? the transmission flush unless your car really really needs it, is useless in terms of the tranny shfiting problems. Anyone else who is having trouble with their tranny dont believe the dealer if they tell you a tranny service or flush will fix the problem. my dealer told me that also, until i got the tech to admit that it wouldn't do a damn thing.
Old 10-22-07, 06:21 AM
MC Wong
Rookie

Originally Posted by AM1
wait how many miles do you have? the transmission flush unless your car really really needs it, is useless in terms of the tranny shfiting problems. Anyone else who is having trouble with their tranny dont believe the dealer if they tell you a tranny service or flush will fix the problem. my dealer told me that also, until i got the tech to admit that it wouldn't do a damn thing.
I have about 55000km on my car and my case has gone to Lexus Australia which I am still waiting for a reply. Looking at my records maybe they didn't do a transmission flush. Just a reset on the ECU after the transfer case was replaced. Everytime I complain about the bad shifting at Lexus they would get a foreman to go for a drive with me. But whenever we go for a drive the car shifts smooth as silk. Go figure
Old 10-22-07, 06:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I have about 55000km on my car and my case has gone to Lexus Australia which I am still waiting for a reply. Looking at my records maybe they didn't do a transmission flush. Just a reset on the ECU after the transfer case was replaced. Everytime I complain about the bad shifting at Lexus they would get a foreman to go for a drive with me. But whenever we go for a drive the car shifts smooth as silk. Go figure
And that's what a few of the Toyota dealers down here (Lexus ain't here yet) with their vehicles, but I recommended to a few of my service advisors to not wait until the vehicle cools down, but to have someone go with them for an extended trip of at least 15 minutes (on most occasions) driving around the neighborhood. More than a few times after that they encountered something issue with the tranny or some other part of the vehicle. One question I always tell them to ask the customer is how soon do you feel a problem after driving the vehicle, and that is exactly the same length that the foreman or whomever should be driving the vehicle with the customer, not just pulling it into the shop and putting up on the rack or taking it for a spin around the corner.

Acura here in Mexico will go with the customer until they can notice the problem, something that I would expect.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem?