RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 08:19 AM
STDave
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

We bought a RX350 preowned. It has halogen headlights. Are the OEM xenon lights plug and play? Or is there alot more involved than just changing headlight assemblies?
Dave
Old 10-22-07, 11:35 AM
asianrage
Driver

You'll need 2 ballasts, 2 HID project bulbs and assorted wirings. There were a few threads that discussed this. Do a search.
Old 10-23-07, 07:39 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't know the RX's ever came with Halogen's, unless it was the old RX300's.

...Just pick up an aftermarket HID kit to put in. I recommend MTEC, or even go with Xenondepot who is a sponsor of CL.
Ask them what side bulb you will need and go for it! Hey, might end up looking nicer then stock HID's anyway!
Old 10-24-07, 01:42 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Didn't know the RX's ever came with Halogen's, unless it was the old RX300's.

...Just pick up an aftermarket HID kit to put in. I recommend MTEC, or even go with Xenondepot who is a sponsor of CL.
Ask them what side bulb you will need and go for it! Hey, might end up looking nicer then stock HID's anyway!
The stadard base model come with regular halogen lights. You can add aftermarket HIDs, but keep in mind that the halogen headlights are not projectors like the OEM HIDs, but the reflector headlights.
Old 10-24-07, 02:54 AM
STDave
Rookie

I am wanting to change entire headlight assembly to an OEM HID version. I was wanting to know if the wiring is all there, just unplug my harness and be able to plug directly into an HID one. I know I won't have auto aiming function though.
Dave
Old 10-24-07, 03:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Others that have the OEM Service manual may be able to contribute more, but it is NOT a plug and play. I can't be 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure the connectors to the headlights are different. Nothing that you can't rewire yourself though. Also, the AFS not working is one thing as you can just buy an HID set that doesn't have the AFS system, but they all have auto leveling. You will need to mount and wire the auto leveling sensors as well if you want them all to work properly. Now, I can't be sure where the HID projector headlights comes to rest at when off. I know when you turn them on, they go through as self test and aim up and down, then to the set proper position. If that rest position is the proper aim position, than you don't really need the self leveling system working, but you may blind some traffic on certain occations. Those are all things you will need to find out first.

I'd give it a try though. It may not work 100% like OEM, but it will be far better than the halogens and work nearly as well as OEM. I know people will say you have to have the auto leveling with HIDS, but some cars early on did NOT have auto leveling with their HIDS, and I know of few of my friend's that did Q45 HID retro fits into their Lexus cars did not hook up the auto leveling and their lights perform well.
Old 10-24-07, 06:47 AM
STDave
Rookie

Thanks for the help CK6Speed. I will try to locate a pair of HID assemblies and install. If I find out more on this, I will post here.
Dave
Old 10-25-07, 09:02 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I highly recommend test driving an RX with the HID headlights before you make the leap. If I had to do it all over again I'd go with the halogens. The HID cutoff makes them useless on a rural road if you drive over 45MPH. I appreciate that the cutoff is to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. I'm not sure if non-projector HID's are any better.
Old 10-25-07, 10:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Non-projector would produce too much glare for oncoming traffic. I wonder if you still can adjust the height of the cutoff with the AFS system, I would think you can. Lexus / Toyota always aim their headlight low on their truck and SUV.
Old 10-25-07, 11:52 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you are looking for OEM HID components that will work with a D2S/R headlight we have those as well (assuming you end up getting just the headlights with no HID components). We have a full selection of OEM HID components right on this page ranging from all types of D2S/R bulbs, ballasts, and other various accessories. Please view this link:

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/OEM_HID_Xe...nents_s/32.htm

Regards,

Steve
Old 10-25-07, 12:02 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
Non-projector would produce too much glare for oncoming traffic. I wonder if you still can adjust the height of the cutoff with the AFS system, I would think you can. Lexus / Toyota always aim their headlight low on their truck and SUV.

It can be done, DIY at your own risk
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Adjust.pdf (165.8 KB, 256 views)
Old 10-25-07, 12:28 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had both RX and IS headlights adjusted by dealer, both were way off from factory spec, intentionally set low. Much better now.
Old 10-25-07, 02:24 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gibster
I highly recommend test driving an RX with the HID headlights before you make the leap. If I had to do it all over again I'd go with the halogens. The HID cutoff makes them useless on a rural road if you drive over 45MPH. I appreciate that the cutoff is to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. I'm not sure if non-projector HID's are any better.
Wow! That is the first comment against HID lights that I have read. I love my HIDs and I believe that they increase my level of safety. Yes, there is a very distinct cutoff but I think that is a design feature to help keep the light out of oncoming traffic. As a matter of fact, I own a BMW with halogens (wishing i had the HIDs) and some of the owners are discussing changing their halogens to HID. It can be done, but it is expensive using original BMW parts.

I can see that in open, rural conditions you might want more light but on the bright setting my 330 has very good light projection.
Old 10-26-07, 12:25 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Halogens SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK compared to hids--I will never buy a car again unless it has HIDS--Period!!!

Go get your lights adjusted or glasses
Old 10-26-07, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Wow! That is the first comment against HID lights that I have read.
I think he is complaining about the cut off of the projector lense instead of the HID.

Quick Reply: Headlights