RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX 350 Navigation 7.1 and Lockpick 3 Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 05:46 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Here is a good thread on the GS forum about the nav 7.1 hack

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=309318

I was also on the lockpick webpage.. is there any updates on this or how to get the phone to dial or the Nav screen to play DVD's (while in motion would be best). I can not seem to find a clear consensus for the 7.1 nav
Old 02-02-08, 01:51 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are multiple threads on the GS forum about this and you're right, we're all over the place. some info seems to contradict other posts. For what it's worth, my best summation on 7.1 as it applies to GS:

1. There is a wire cutting mod that frees up the nav, dvd etc. it's hardcore enough that it works for every version of nav dvd including 7 for model years 06, 07 and 08. Not aware of any exceptions. don't know if the RX schematic is different in terms of what wires to cut.
2. you can do a hybrid dvd with v6 that works on all cars/years. unlocks nav only.
3. once you cross to 7.1 it gets dicey. people with 07 cars with nav hardware that is Gen5 say they got a 7.1 hybrid dvd to unlock the nav. that does NOT work for 08 cars which have Gen5 Nav hardware. v7 hybrid also does NOT work for 06 model year with Gen4 nav hardware. Regardless, hybrid dvds apply only to nav unlock, not dvds etc.
4. There is a plug and play kit that emulates the wire hack and works for dvd v7. frees up nav, dvd, bluetooth etc. works on 06, 07 and 08 but nav free up window varies by model year it seems. I get only about 30 seconds of unlock time, others report up to a couple of minutes with v7 dvd. But i haven't seen a plug and play advertised for RX.

It's hard to tell about the lockpick specifically (that's different than the plug and play kit talked about on GS forum). Not many posts about it that i can find. given all the other threads, i don't blame you for being iffy about it. Might be worth calling their tech support line and seing what they say. i've looked at there web site. lots of ifs and disclaimers. hard to tell..
Old 02-02-08, 05:40 PM
garetjax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kutscher
I was also on the lockpick webpage.. is there any updates on this or how to get the phone to dial or the Nav screen to play DVD's (while in motion would be best). I can not seem to find a clear consensus for the 7.1 nav
I emailed coastal tech on this issue thursday night and they replied to me about 2am friday saying it does support 7.1. I ordered friday morning and got a shipping notice and my unit should be here wednesday. I will post back once it is installed.

I picked up my 350 on thursday and I am just starting to enjoy it.

Garet
Old 02-02-08, 06:43 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Bravo! looking forward to hearing. we'll finally know for sure.
Old 02-02-08, 08:52 PM
garetjax
Driver School Candidate

Your from MA?

Picking up my new car last thursday and getting lost on Route 1 aka the auto mile sealed the deal for me. After going down Route 1 endlessly looking for a U turn I had to pull over to use the damn nav. I decided then and there I would be searching and getting a nav override system asap.

Hopefully everything will work well. From everything I could read on the net about coastal tech it seemed to say customer service was terrible but once you got the product it worked great.

I was pleasantly surprised when i got an email response in only a few hours after emailing them about 11pm on a thursday and even more so when I got my shipping notice after ordering friday morning. Maybe they have turned their customer support around - I have definitely had a good experience so far.

The next big search will be for something that will let me use an ipod with the touchscreen for music.

Coastal Tech sold one but on their page they say they don't know when they will be getting them back in stock. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should get a Scosche AXIPTA for $150 or so spend $100 more for the VAIS.
Old 02-03-08, 04:59 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, metro west. The nav lockout was like having a tooth drilled. This forum was a great find.

have looked at both vais (SLS) and Scosche AXIPTA. I have SAT radio and Scosche may have an edge but still thinking it over. Besides lower price, it retains all original sat functions and gives ipod control through head unit. the vais unit (SLS) hijacks SAT3 mode so you lose the 6 presets from that and is a passive AUX so no ipod control through the head unit. Scosche has clear edge there.

The temptation of vais (SLS) for me is that it increases the display on the touch screen from 10 to 16 characters even for SAT radio and I use that a lot more than ipod. 10 char limit is annoying so Vais would be a way to uptick that. scosche unit doesn't change the 10 char limit.

end of day tho, will likely choose control of ipod via the head unit over having an extra 6 char of display.

I believe the vais SLI givea full ipod control via the touchscreen but dosn't marry up with SAT radio very well so not an option for me I don't think.
Old 02-04-08, 09:22 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by ecount00
Yep, metro west. The nav lockout was like having a tooth drilled. This forum was a great find.

have looked at both vais (SLS) and Scosche AXIPTA. I have SAT radio and Scosche may have an edge but still thinking it over. Besides lower price, it retains all original sat functions and gives ipod control through head unit. the vais unit (SLS) hijacks SAT3 mode so you lose the 6 presets from that and is a passive AUX so no ipod control through the head unit. Scosche has clear edge there.

The temptation of vais (SLS) for me is that it increases the display on the touch screen from 10 to 16 characters even for SAT radio and I use that a lot more than ipod. 10 char limit is annoying so Vais would be a way to uptick that. scosche unit doesn't change the 10 char limit.

end of day tho, will likely choose control of ipod via the head unit over having an extra 6 char of display.

I believe the vais SLI givea full ipod control via the touchscreen but dosn't marry up with SAT radio very well so not an option for me I don't think.
Hey Greg,

I am a big fan of the Vais units and have both a SLS2 and SLI2 installed in my 07 RX350 - giving me full head unit control over both Sirius and ipod functionality.

Both the SLS and SLS2 (smaller unit without extra Aux ports) have had the firmware fix for some time that allows all 18 presets to be used (included SAT3) so make sure to consider that when comparing add-ons....plus as you note you get the 16 chars as opposed to 10 char default. See this thread over at the Vais Technology forum...

http://www.vaistech.com/forums/showt...highlight=SAT3

While I would prefer to have an integrated Sirius/ipod unit...the ease by which I could get both SLS2 and SLI2 installed under my center console sealed the deal for me.

Hope this helps,

--Scott
Old 02-05-08, 04:04 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Scott.
Good info. First I don't want to be spreading bad info and second, that makes it an easier choice. I was sure that an email i got back from Vais last fall said SAT3 presets were lost. Regardless, great news. Clearly worth the cash. Did you do the install youself? I'm not sure I'm up to that task.

Last edited by ecount00; 02-05-08 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-07-08, 08:33 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by ecount00
Thanks Scott.
Good info. First I don't want to be spreading bad info and second, that makes it an easier choice. I was sure that an email i got back from Vais last fall said SAT3 presets were lost. Regardless, great news. Clearly worth the cash. Did you do the install youself? I'm not sure I'm up to that task.

Greg...yeah, I did do the Vais SoundLinq installations myself but only after hours of reading of previous experiences from others here on ClubLexus. It is relatively straightforward but does require the right tools. There are a number of install threads here that you can read. If you aren't up for it - there are installers that Vais or the other third-party A/V vendors can recommend in your area.

The good news is that compared to the Lexus OEM sat radio equipment install (which, no kidding, requires seat removal among other things....) this is a piece of cake and way cheaper. I remember when I replaced the Vais SLI and SLS units with the smaller "2" units the whole process took less than 30 minutes. Big initial install issue is the Sat radio antenna assuming you want it in the back next to the Nav antenna.

Good luck!

--Scott
Old 02-07-08, 10:51 PM
UnoWhoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garetjax
I emailed coastal tech on this issue thursday night and they replied to me about 2am friday saying it does support 7.1. I ordered friday morning and got a shipping notice and my unit should be here wednesday. I will post back once it is installed.

I picked up my 350 on thursday and I am just starting to enjoy it.

Garet
I don't think I can hold my breath much longer! Did the Lockpick product work with 7.1?
Old 02-10-08, 02:33 AM
DreamParty
Driver School Candidate

Default This is what I asked =>

Dear Coastal Electronic,

I am just wondering if there is any kit for 2008 Lexus RX400h, I think the NAV is running 7.1, but not sure. Need some help from you guys. Thanks,

and here is the answer from them:

The Lockpick 3 basic is fine for the 08. This would allow the nav input while in motion if desired. The audio and video versions of the lockpick 3 are for vehicle which do not have a factory dvd player present.

Please let me know if I may assist you further : )
Kelley
http://www.coastaletech.com
mailto: support@coastaletech.com

Also, from their website, Ultimate Lockpick 3 should work on 08 RX, except if you have OEM DVD installed, but you will get video & audio in to plug in your own sources.

Andy
Old 02-10-08, 08:22 AM
garetjax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UnoWhoo
I don't think I can hold my breath much longer! Did the Lockpick product work with 7.1?
I'm hoping to finish up some work and install it this afternoon.

Garet
Old 02-10-08, 01:03 PM
garetjax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garetjax
I'm hoping to finish up some work and install it this afternoon.

Garet
Ok the basic lockpic (nav unlock) is installed and works like a charm

It took me awhile because I was afraid of snapping the plastic jack tray as I pulled it out - once you get that out its a 1 minute job - unplug nav dvd player - plug that connection into lockpick, plug the other connection on the lockpick into the nav dvd player.

As people have posted the tool tray has 2 plastic push pins on the top left and right - they came right out but the tool tray was still pretty stubburn.

I have only taking a lap around the block, hit the dest button, hit the red pushpin in upper left corner of the screen, and then screen is no longer grayed out. I did it a few times - seems to work great.

RX350 - nav 7.1 - bought last week in Jan.

Now I need to buy an ipod adapter before I take apart the dash to install the 2nd part of the lockpick.
Old 02-10-08, 06:03 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does this also free up the Phone items as well
Old 02-11-08, 07:19 AM
garetjax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Booyah
Does this also free up the Phone items as well
I bought the ultimate lockpick + which includes the $99 lockpick basic and the $229 ultimate lockpick 3.

I installed the lockpick basic which is the unit that plugs into the nav dvd player in the back of the 350. It only unlocks the nav - I double checked the phone and it is still locked.

The $229 unit that provides video/audio input also does the bluetooth unlocking.

I wish they could have packaged the bluetooth and nav unlock together because if I get a vais I will have extra audio inputs I really don't need.

Either that or if coastal offerer their own ipod interface - they had one on their site but its sold out and not known when it will be back. It's a valor ilink but going to valors site it looks like they are between releasing a new version of the ilink.

Garet

Quick Reply: 2008 RX 350 Navigation 7.1 and Lockpick 3 Ultimate