RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 or BMW X3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 09:21 PM
eastgurl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 or BMW X3?

Which would you pick, RX350 or BMW X3? BMW offers free maint for 4yrs/50miles, is it a good deal?
Old 10-26-07, 09:48 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by eastgurl
Which would you pick, RX350 or BMW X3? BMW offers free maint for 4yrs/50miles, is it a good deal?
Before i got my rx350, I was actually looking very hard at the X3.
The 2007 X3 is the perfect size for my need, it drives really well, looks better than the pre'07 refreshed in my eyes, has good engine to weight ratio, good awd system, comes with free maintenance and bmw killer lease deal.

Why I get the RX350?
1) BMW navigation system is just so so compare to Lexus. Rear backup camera does not even exist in X3's option list. The Lexus comes with more (to me: better) gadgets and options for cheaper OTD price than the X3.

2) I decided to buy not lease.

3) This one is the killer: there are significant number of complains on 2007 BMW x3 transmission that is borderline dangerous. BMW has released several TSB to fix this issue with no success. Several owners have actually lemon(ed) the car because of this.

Here is 1:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203584

Here is 2:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231600

Here is 3:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237255

Here is 4:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=238843

Here is 5:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234129

Here is 6:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=239130

Here is 7:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235005

Pitty, it is a very nice vehicle otherwise

Last edited by SugarRush; 10-26-07 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 07:10 AM
eastgurl
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the info!
Old 10-27-07, 07:30 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Be Sure to compare total cost over a 3-5 year period

I have seen but can not put my hands on a comparison that was done comparing total cost of ownership between a BMW and a comparable Lexus. The all inclusive maintenance of the BMW made it cheaper in the long haul. And, if you haven't driven a BMW you should. They drive like nothing else (unless you spend big big bucks), the power, handling and sportiness provide an excellent driving experience. Now to some that is not good. If you like a "soft" ride where you don't feel the road or where you don't want the car to provide you with feedback in the way of feel you probably won't like the BMW as it provides "sport" ride. The Lexus while it drives well is more "luxurious" providing more of a "comfort" type ride.

Another smart option is to look at a CPO X5 (or X3). You can get a low mileage 1 or 2 year old car and save a boat load of $ and with the CPO actually get the remainder of the free maintenance and full warranty and then the extended CPO warranty on major components. I bought a 2 year old BMW with 16,000 miles for $15,000 less than the invoice for the car new and had a better warranty to boot. Still have it 6 years later and plan on doing the same thing next time as well. A CPO X5 would allow you to upgrade in power, size and eliminate any transmission concerns you may have. Find out if the jerkiness is just with one of the usually several different modes you can put the BMW auto's in. I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 10-28-07, 07:03 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Todd
I have seen but can not put my hands on a comparison that was done comparing total cost of ownership between a BMW and a comparable Lexus. The all inclusive maintenance of the BMW made it cheaper in the long haul. And, if you haven't driven a BMW you should. They drive like nothing else (unless you spend big big bucks), the power, handling and sportiness provide an excellent driving experience. Now to some that is not good. If you like a "soft" ride where you don't feel the road or where you don't want the car to provide you with feedback in the way of feel you probably won't like the BMW as it provides "sport" ride. The Lexus while it drives well is more "luxurious" providing more of a "comfort" type ride.

Another smart option is to look at a CPO X5 (or X3). You can get a low mileage 1 or 2 year old car and save a boat load of $ and with the CPO actually get the remainder of the free maintenance and full warranty and then the extended CPO warranty on major components. I bought a 2 year old BMW with 16,000 miles for $15,000 less than the invoice for the car new and had a better warranty to boot. Still have it 6 years later and plan on doing the same thing next time as well. A CPO X5 would allow you to upgrade in power, size and eliminate any transmission concerns you may have. Find out if the jerkiness is just with one of the usually several different modes you can put the BMW auto's in. I thought I read that somewhere.

^ I totally agree, BMW drives really well, but only for those who likes the feel of the road. I personally like it and will lease/own a bmw as long as it is still within warranty and free maintenance period. Beyond that, I'd rather keep the 'cushy' Lexus due to its perdicted better than avg reliability record.

The original poster (OP) were asking about the 2007/2008 BMW X3, so I will try not to make this thread as another BMW vs Lexus topic.

Now back to the 2007/08 X3.
Todd you are also correct. If one shifts the x3 auto transmission from D to SD when the car is in the low gear then press the accelerator, the gear hunting and jerkiness are 'bypassed'. But this only works some of the time. Not to mention if one have to tell his wife to do this, I dont think she will understand why or even bother. To quote a post from the BMW forum:

" ....My wife asked why I was flipping the gear shift so much and replied that no way was she going to do that. To have a $45k+ car need to switch from SD to D each time you stop and go is just wrong. .....Why did BMW do this? Particularly since not only does this board document the problem but so do many car magazine reviews. German engineering arrogance?...."
Old 10-28-07, 07:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Test drive the vehicles for yourself. I made the right decison and I am very pleased See the sig.. No problems whatsover...
Old 10-28-07, 12:17 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Test drive the vehicles for yourself. I made the right decison and I am very pleased See the sig.. No problems whatsover...
Whips: 06 BMW X3 3.0
Just want to add to DASHOCKER's post there.
The transmission complains on the X3 I posted earlier are only on the 2007 X3. Yours is a 2006 and it does not have the problem. As of why this is the case, it has also been discussed in the bmw forum. Will it be fixed on 2008 X3? I am hopeful, I do like the X3 very much.
I am not trying to bash the X3 here. Just want to present the facts

Last edited by SugarRush; 10-28-07 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 02:22 PM
mcgrady
Driver School Candidate

why would someone buy an 08 RX at the end of its model year. It offers absolutely NOTHING compared to lower end toyota.

FWD CHEKC
lack of push start/ smart access CHECK
lack of ventilated seat CHECK
dated design since 2003 CHECK
lack of parking assist CHECK
lack of aux input CHECK

but I'm the moron that's getting this over the GS because my dad is a moron and he insists I get him an RX. Have fun old man..I'm not even going to SIT in your crappy RX.
Old 10-28-07, 02:53 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mcgrady
why would someone buy an 08 RX at the end of its model year. It offers absolutely NOTHING compared to lower end toyota.

FWD CHEKC
lack of push start/ smart access CHECK
lack of ventilated seat CHECK
dated design since 2003 CHECK
lack of parking assist CHECK
lack of aux input CHECK

but I'm the moron that's getting this over the GS because my dad is a moron and he insists I get him an RX. Have fun old man..I'm not even going to SIT in your crappy RX.
^ I can agree with you. I am in the same category as your 'moron' dad
Old 10-28-07, 03:25 PM
PDXRX
Driver School Candidate

That tranny problem is a shame...sounds like BMW gets it from GM. In fairness, the 6-speed auto in the new Camry has been a similar PoS for Toyota.

If BMW brings the 3.0L turbo diesel version of the X3 to the states then I'd would consider very hard on trading my RX for it. 280+ horsepower, 400+ for torque, and 30+ mpg combined...oh baby! Rumors are growing that we will see them bring this engine to the US for 2009 model years, but no info yet on which models.

kb.
Old 10-29-07, 06:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Eastgurl, they are 2 totally diff. crossover, only you can make the choice on this one. Do you like a luxury ride or a good handling suspension and steering? The X3 is somewhat underpower and if you start adding on options, the price can go up really fast. BTW, the maintenance on the X3 is not free, all they did was added to the price of the car before hand. The RX has a soft ride and the steering is somewhat loose but still precise, and the Lexus dealers are much better than the BMW dealers.
Old 10-29-07, 07:13 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eastgurl, you're not truly comparing apples to apples here. BMW X3 is smaller, and is on par with Acura RDX.

Other than that, BMW is good if you dont need a lot of room, need something handling rather well, and plan on keeping this vehicle for duration of free maintenance, 4 yrs/50k mi.

Lexus RX is more stylish IMHO, and may offer more of a car for the money, but it is more relaxed cruiser, and not handling as well as BMW, but supposedly more reliable long-term.
Old 10-29-07, 10:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are looking at X3, I would rather buy the RDX and save $15000.
Old 10-29-07, 10:56 AM
eastgurl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to Everyone! I love this forum! I think I'm going with the Lexus because I do like the luxury ride more.
Old 10-29-07, 12:28 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Free maintenance does not exist.

You pay for it somehow-somewhere.

Cost of owning a car: should be the better benchmark. You can get data on this.

Quick Reply: RX350 or BMW X3?