RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I'm sorry I took Premium Audio over Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 02:44 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoj
I believe ML is only available......... if u take the Rear seat entertainment pkg too from 2008 model onwards!

I am not impressed with Standard audio system of 08 RX......... there is no option to tweak at all....

just three bars for bass/midrange/treble . and move the sound to front/rear ............ left/right !

is there anything else i am missing out.........i havent had time to dive into the manual a lot!
Hmmm, I no longer have my 04 RX330 with regular audio, but I thought it had more than just 3 clicks for the tone adjustments. You should also be able to select listening position as well. It isn't great, but you can select "Driver", ALL, Front" or Rear I believe.

While I wont say I'm a competition grade car audiophile, I have been doing my own systems for over a decade in all my cars. I'm not a boomer by any means as I listen to more soft rock, jazz, classical and such. Anyway, I thought the regular system in our RX330 was not outstanding by any means, but actually pretty good for a stock system. I'm one of those that love the smooth sound of silk dome tweeters and can't stand the harshness of metal dome tweeters. I didn't really have any ear fatigue with the RX high end. Eventually I hooked up a aftermarket A/V system and only keept the stock speakers. Because I had much more adjustibility including parametric EQ and running the stock speakers through an aftermarket amp, I actually was able to get a pretty good sounding system out of it. I was using an Alpine PXA-H700 for the time delay and parametric EQ settings.
Old 11-08-07, 06:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jolifull
When I try to add options, I can add the DVD navigation system/blue tooth luxury pkg, but the rear seat entertainment system is not an option. Am I missing something. I live in Alaska...do they not add the entertainment system? Maybe it doesn't operate well in cold weather?

Thanks for your help.
It must be a regional thing.
Old 11-08-07, 09:38 AM
asianrage
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to buy an 08 RX350 and would like the Mark Levinson upgraded audio system. My dealer tells me that it is not available on the new 08's. Is this true? The main Lexus website "brochure" lists the Navigation system/Mark Levinson Package, but when I "build my Lexus", it doesn't list the upgraded audio as an option. I can still choose the navigation package, but it appears to just have the factory audio with the 8 speakers.

Any thoughts? I really like a good audio system in my vehicles, so I am leary of the standard issue. Thanks!
I don't think your region is offered that. The build feature on the website follows what is available at the dealership. Dealerships are offered a set package for the region that they're in. For our region, RXs will get most option, minus the ML. But it is available. If you want ML or anything that's not normally offered as standard for the region, you will have to special order it.
Old 11-13-07, 09:30 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I order one at the end of October 04 and got it in first of March of 05. We order it with Mark Levinson navigation system and no rear seat entertainment system. So if you have the time you can have them make your car just for you with what you want in it and not take the dealer order junk.
The cars trhey think they can turn over fast to get them off there floor plans.
Old 11-16-07, 12:57 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Angry Mark Levinson is AWOL

I'm trying to buy an 08 RX350 and would like the Mark Levinson upgraded audio system. My dealer tells me that it is not available on the new 08's. Is this true? The main Lexus website "brochure" lists the Navigation system/Mark Levinson Package, but when I "build my Lexus", it doesn't list the upgraded audio as an option. I can still choose the navigation package, but it appears to just have the factory audio with the 8 speakers.

Any thoughts? I really like a good audio system in my vehicles, so I am leary of the standard issue. Thanks!
I tried building an RX on lexus.com and no matter where I claim to be living in the U.S., it never offered me Mark Levinson. Also, I don't remember seeing a Mark Levinson in any of the cars at the dealer.

How come?

And can you find it or do have to do a special order and wait 3 months?
Old 11-17-07, 12:43 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

You can have your dealer look for you. Just tell him what you want and they will shop around for it. The car we wanted was Black Forest Pearl in color and there just was not a lot of them around. So it had to be order when we ask for it without the rear seat entertainment system. The dealer in this town likes to order his cars Crystal White, Black Onyx, Bamboo Pearl, Savannah Metallic in that order. You will see a lot of them around but I have only know of ine other Black Forest Pearl in this area. They also do not order nav but will put in the seat heaters.
Old 11-17-07, 09:11 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Question How long?

Originally Posted by billy44bo
You can have your dealer look for you. Just tell him what you want and they will shop around for it. The car we wanted was Black Forest Pearl in color and there just was not a lot of them around. So it had to be order when we ask for it without the rear seat entertainment system. The dealer in this town likes to order his cars Crystal White, Black Onyx, Bamboo Pearl, Savannah Metallic in that order. You will see a lot of them around but I have only know of ine other Black Forest Pearl in this area. They also do not order nav but will put in the seat heaters.

How long did it take your order to show up?

Last edited by steverhode; 11-18-07 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-17-07, 11:22 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Order the car the 29th of October and got it the First of March. They made the car in the first week of January. Ship from Japan to New Orleans.
Old 11-17-07, 05:13 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Question What type of music is your opinion based on?

Originally Posted by Kostyan
our RX is equipped with Premium Audio, and not ML. IMHO Premium is a great sounding system, and unless you're into cometition audio, no need to upgrade. I actually like it better than my Acura TL's lame EL-S

What type of music do you listen to most, and what what volume levels do you listen to it at?
Old 11-17-07, 09:24 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I love classical which can give you the full range of the spectrum. My wife likes rock, easy listening and jazz. My 17 year is old new age music and Frank Sinatra. The range of volume goes from low and medium to just about 75% wide open. You can’t stay in the car for a long time with it wide open
Old 11-18-07, 04:43 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexus has a long history of assembling the goofiest packages early in the model run. In order to get Nav. I had to take a FWD model (much to my regret - I traded an AWD RX 300) In order to get the RSES, I had to take the ML . . . Basically the car came one of two ways - loaded with practically everything on the options list, or stripped. Nothing in between. Within six months some flexibility began to appear in the packages, and by the following year, you could assemble pretty much what you wanted. Lexus seems to be keeping delivery and inventory simple during the early months of a model run - unless you special order a car, you may end up taking what you can get. With the lease expired on my RX 300, it was either compromise or walk.
Old 01-24-08, 05:58 PM
fw1
Rookie

I have an 08-RX with the ML audio. I don't think it's a great but it's definitely better than the standard audio offered. My RX was a custom order (had to wait 2 months) because I wanted the ML system without the rear entertainment. It all depends on whether the dealer's willing to work with you.
Old 01-25-08, 10:29 AM
DogLady
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD Player

I too wanted the DVD entertainment system on my new 08 - which should be delivered on Monday - but it was $2,000. I also wanted the Sirus radio - but that was $700. Too pricey for what you can buy elsewhere. I did get the Navigation system with Bluetooth, heated seats and all that good stuff. Hopefully - it will be here - I have been waiting over a week and the dealer gave me an 08 loaner to drive in the meantime.
Old 01-25-08, 11:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Lexus DVD entertainment system is ok but not for $2000. You can walk into any stereo shop and get 2 built in headrest DVD player for the same price.
Old 01-25-08, 08:33 PM
Arbitrage1
Driver

I just bought an 08 Rx350, with the Nav package. I played a lot of music while driving around the first day I got it, and I thought the stereo was great. It sounded so good that I assumed it was the ML system, and it wasn't until later when I was reading the manual that I realized it was not. (No little ML sticker on the face)

In fact, I don't recall seeing any window stickers that specifically mentioned the ML system, of the cars I looked at. And on the web site, when I try to configure the Rx to have the ML, I cant.

But ignorance is bliss, and this stereo sounds good to me.