RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

are you serious? $200.00 Reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 02:17 PM
Krayziedxc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are you serious? $200.00 Reprogram

so my local dealer said $200.00 to program because i have no key. but i have a valet key. but he also says $45.00 if you have another key. if not its $200.00

that just too much just to program a dam key

any other ways you can do it cheaper..
Old 11-07-07, 05:04 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Cant say what should be the right price ... but for new key without existing keys, you have program the key and the ecu.

Salim
Old 11-07-07, 05:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

$250 USD is what I paid to get some extras made (master and two valets) way back about 5.5 years ago. There is a method for reprogramming the keys as Salim mentioned, I am just not sure if the method that was used on the RX300 is the same (and I woudn't want anyone to screw something up on a 330 by mentioning it).
Old 11-07-07, 07:50 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayziedxc
so my local dealer said $200.00 to program because i have no key. but i have a valet key. but he also says $45.00 if you have another key. if not its $200.00

that just too much just to program a dam key

any other ways you can do it cheaper..
$200 is just to replace for the ECM. If you don't have a master key, only way to program a key is to change the ECM.
You likely to folk over another $250 to buy a master key, Lexus should program it for free, after the dealer pockets $450.
Old 11-08-07, 02:46 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
$200 is just to replace for the ECM. If you don't have a master key, only way to program a key is to change the ECM.
You likely to folk over another $250 to buy a master key, Lexus should program it for free, after the dealer pockets $450.
Yea, if you don't have that master key it gets much more complicated. Well, not really complicated but much more expensive since they will change the ECM. Don't loose your master key guys
Old 11-08-07, 08:12 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Yea, if you don't have that master key it gets much more complicated. Well, not really complicated but much more expensive since they will change the ECM. Don't loose your master key guys
Yes, I lost one and could not find the other one. The Lexus dealer told me exactly what I posted above. I already bought the key but am not willing to pay another $200 for an unnecessary ECM.
Couple months later I found for the master key. I brought it with me to the dealer to program the non-programmed one, now I have two master keys.
Moral of the story is when you are down to one master key. Get a second one programmed before you down to only the valet key.
Old 11-08-07, 08:39 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't have to replace the ecm on the rx330. the can be reflashed.
Old 01-11-08, 05:01 PM
Krayziedxc
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the help guys. i sovle my problem!

well first i went to hoffman dealer CT, they are BS. Trying to take my money out of my pocket. payed a new master key for $225. w/ cut..bs. then said activate is $200.00 cuz ecm. they have to order from factory.

so after that i decided to go upstate Mass. Lexus dealer.. i ask them how much is the master key its is $100.00 + tax. damn why couldnt i do that before. so i told them i have a master i need it program , i have key but a spare key.. so i guess they flashed it. and the total was $65.00.. so i said to my self my wow!!! they wash and wax and vaccum after wards.

i believe lxgs4 was right , they flashed it.
Old 01-11-08, 07:21 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude make Sure you go back to your other POS dealer and tell them everything the other dealer did and price and tell them you will NEVER,NEVER do business with them EVER--do it!!! tell us what they said too....lol
Old 01-11-08, 09:19 PM
Krayziedxc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Booyah
Dude make Sure you go back to your other POS dealer and tell them everything the other dealer did and price and tell them you will NEVER,NEVER do business with them EVER--do it!!! tell us what they said too....lol
plan on it too. hahha will let you guys know

i did that like 5 years ago. i wanted to buy a ls400. i dressed like crap. and they gave me a wrong look and decided to not go with the deals im interested in. so i said screw it.

so decided to go to another dealer ,acura, they gave me the right look and gave me the price i wanted. and so on i went back to the lexus dealer. an show to the saleman wat i just have gotten. pretty ashame for his face. manager also came out too. happy face to a bad face when i left. he probaly got fired..
Old 01-12-08, 05:50 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayziedxc
plan on it too. hahha will let you guys know

i did that like 5 years ago. i wanted to buy a ls400. i dressed like crap. and they gave me a wrong look and decided to not go with the deals im interested in. so i said screw it.

so decided to go to another dealer ,acura, they gave me the right look and gave me the price i wanted. and so on i went back to the lexus dealer. an show to the saleman wat i just have gotten. pretty ashame for his face. manager also came out too. happy face to a bad face when i left. he probaly got fired..
Make no mistake about it, salesmen are trained to evaluate you as you walk in the door just like they evaluate the car you drive up in. They look at what clothes you wear, what brand of watch, shoes, how you speak, etc. They are anxious to sell cars and they quickly "profile" you. That "profile" tells them how likely you are too buy a vehicle and hence how much time and effort they will put in to answering your questions and showing you the lineup. Not surprising, since salesmen make their money by selling cars, it's just natural for them to want to spend their time most effectively. They can tell a looker from a buyer pretty effectively.

You want to see the difference for yourself, go to a upper scale dealership (Lexus, BMW, MB, Caddy, etc.) dressed shabbily. Wear grubby jeans or a sweat suit and old sneakers. Go back again a few days later dressed in a business suit, expensive and well polishes shoes. Wear your Rolex. In the first case you will likely be shown the door faster than a car or you will be totally ignored. In the second, you will be assisted immediately, offered coffee or soft drinks, have a couple of people attending to your questions, be introduced to the service manager and perhaps even the dealership's owner. It's all a game and you need to be aware to play successfully.

Another thing to consider. I am convinced that salesmen prefer to sell cars to people who look professional and may likely be an influence for other future sales. I have always been able to drive a better deal when I am playing the game on their field and make them see what I want them to see.

If they believe you to be an acute businessman, they know you are not going to hesitate to make a quick decision, likely will have the needed funds, and often they will put a better offer on the table initially.
Old 01-12-08, 07:14 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
You want to see the difference for yourself, go to a upper scale dealership (Lexus, BMW, MB, Caddy, etc.) dressed shabbily. Wear grubby jeans or a sweat suit and old sneakers. Go back again a few days later dressed in a business suit, expensive and well polishes shoes. Wear your Rolex. In the first case you will likely be shown the door faster than a car or you will be totally ignored. In the second, you will be assisted immediately, offered coffee or soft drinks, have a couple of people attending to your questions, be introduced to the service manager and perhaps even the dealership's owner. It's all a game and you need to be aware to play successfully.
When I bought my RX350, I drove up in my 6-year-old RX300 with my roommate. We were both wearing T-shirts and jeans, and we both had on soemwhat grubby jackets. The salesman who drew us listened to my story that I was there to look at the new RX, but wasn't ready to buy yet. We went out to a demonstrator, took a drive, and came back to talk. Not once did I get the feeling he was trying to run me off.

(Side note: The guy was a distinguished-looking older gentleman who had the kind of voice you hear on the evening news. Turns out he used to be a news anchor, but got out of the business when he decided he wanted to be at home with his kids in the evenings.)
Old 01-12-08, 11:50 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jmaynard
When I bought my RX350, I drove up in my 6-year-old RX300 with my roommate. We were both wearing T-shirts and jeans, and we both had on soemwhat grubby jackets. The salesman who drew us listened to my story that I was there to look at the new RX, but wasn't ready to buy yet. We went out to a demonstrator, took a drive, and came back to talk. Not once did I get the feeling he was trying to run me off.

(Side note: The guy was a distinguished-looking older gentleman who had the kind of voice you hear on the evening news. Turns out he used to be a news anchor, but got out of the business when he decided he wanted to be at home with his kids in the evenings.)
Yes, but you must remember you're from Minnesota and there tee-shirts, jeans and grubby jackets are considered cool. ROTFLOL
Old 01-15-08, 01:19 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I went into my Lexus dealer in gym shorts and T shirt and they still treated me respect.
Old 01-15-08, 01:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Krayziedxc, which dealer did you go to in MA?

Quick Reply: are you serious? $200.00 Reprogram