RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

My recent experience @ Lexus dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 12:37 PM
cariesfree
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My recent experience @ Lexus dealership

Our RX was due for 5000 mile service. I didn't think it was a big deal, so I had my wife drop it off the dealer near her work place. Later that week, I was washing the vehicle and noticed that they did not rotate the wheels for her. I saw some oil marks on one of the wheels, but they did not rotate. You may wonder how I knew. I love the 7-spoke wheels so much that I actually knew specific location of each wheel. I called back, left a voicemail for the service guy ask him to call back. No phone call returned after three days. I called again and left another voicemail. No phone call returned after a few more days. We decided to call the manager of the service department. My wife gave him a call. No phone call returned after a few days. I called him and left him a voicemail. We finally got a call back from him. He offered to come out to personally pick up the car for her. I refused to let them drive the car and wanted to bring it in. They did the rotation for us. Tire rotation is not that big of a deal. They might have forgotten to do it, or maybe the tech guy intentionally skipped it. Either way, why didn't they return our calls sooner? I started to wonder if they even did the oil change for us. They lost my trust, and I will not return for other services or recommend this dealership to our friends. I don't want to put their name up here, but I thought I'd share the experience with you guys. If you are in Northern California and want to know if this is your local dealer, PM me.
Old 11-08-07, 01:10 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cariesfree
Our RX was due for 5000 mile service. I didn't think it was a big deal, so I had my wife drop it off the dealer near her work place. Later that week, I was washing the vehicle and noticed that they did not rotate the wheels for her. I saw some oil marks on one of the wheels, but they did not rotate. You may wonder how I knew. I love the 7-spoke wheels so much that I actually knew specific location of each wheel. I called back, left a voicemail for the service guy ask him to call back. No phone call returned after three days. I called again and left another voicemail. No phone call returned after a few more days. We decided to call the manager of the service department. My wife gave him a call. No phone call returned after a few days. I called him and left him a voicemail. We finally got a call back from him. He offered to come out to personally pick up the car for her. I refused to let them drive the car and wanted to bring it in. They did the rotation for us. Tire rotation is not that big of a deal. They might have forgotten to do it, or maybe the tech guy intentionally skipped it. Either way, why didn't they return our calls sooner? I started to wonder if they even did the oil change for us. They lost my trust, and I will not return for other services or recommend this dealership to our friends. I don't want to put their name up here, but I thought I'd share the experience with you guys. If you are in Northern California and want to know if this is your local dealer, PM me.
Sorry to hear about your experience. I have some "hidden" identification marks(1,2,3,4) on the inner side wheels/tire walls and make sure that the rotation has been done and update my service diary every time the rotation is done.

So far I did not have any issue with dealers here in Houston.

Last edited by sama; 11-08-07 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 11-08-07, 03:26 PM
Ken's_RX
Driver School Candidate

Similar experience, but from BMW.

Had a 528e, got nailed for the $130.00 oil "service". About a week later the battery dies. Bring it in they say "Oh, your battery water was low and you burnt out one of the cells.". Point to the oil change service and which says they check the battery water level. Bottom line, got a new battery at their expense.....

Lexus isn't the only one that "skips" stuff - ALWAYS CHECK if you can..

-Ken
Old 11-08-07, 06:20 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You should have asked them why they never returned calls???? That would be my first question to the manager
Old 11-08-07, 06:48 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Dealership

You can always leave them a nice comment on the letter you get from Lexus about your service. The dealer seems to be more concerned about getting Excellent ratings accross the board. Than what your service was like.
Old 11-09-07, 12:54 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been known to take a jeweler's file and put a indexing nick in critical bolt heads before having the car serviced for the first time. You'd be amazed at how much is never touched. Haven't had that experience with my Lexus dealer . . . yet.
Old 11-09-07, 06:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I do my rotations so I have not had issues like yours. But years ago, had similar issues mentioned.

It is pathetic that people try to get away with this. It truly reflects on the dealership and to a ceratin extent the Brand. So, it is always a good idea to call the Lexus Customer Relations number when things like this happen.

I really suggest to call the number. This is our only way to make sure that rotten eggs are taken off the basket. We pay for the experience, for the most part, don't we? If it leaves a bad taste in the mouth...then it should have been money not spent.
Old 11-10-07, 05:37 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't really believe your story that you left two voicemail and they did not return your call after a few days. I've been to two different Lexus dealers in my area and both have been very good (not great) and when I call them I don't think I've ever even gone to voicemail, it's always been an actual person picking up after a few rings.

If you really had this bad an experience with your dealer, then I would say time to find a new dealer in your area. They can't be that hard to find, I have three within 15 miles of where I live.
Old 11-11-07, 10:12 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be worse, i know of dealers here in so cal that have done much worse.
Old 11-12-07, 08:04 AM
steiner
Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I don't really believe your story that you left two voicemail and they did not return your call after a few days.
Are you calling him a liar? I, on the other hand, think even stranger things can and did happen. There is the law of outliers, and Lexus service is no difference. There are always a few different people out there.
Old 11-13-07, 07:48 PM
cariesfree
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I do my rotations so I have not had issues like yours. But years ago, had similar issues mentioned.

It is pathetic that people try to get away with this. It truly reflects on the dealership and to a ceratin extent the Brand. So, it is always a good idea to call the Lexus Customer Relations number when things like this happen.

I really suggest to call the number. This is our only way to make sure that rotten eggs are taken off the basket. We pay for the experience, for the most part, don't we? If it leaves a bad taste in the mouth...then it should have been money not spent.
I received the feedback card and the number as well. I still have it at home. I see your points, but part of me is telling me not to go too far on this. I'm sure the service manager already had a talk with the service advisor and the service advisor already had a talk with his technician. If I go too far, it may cost someone a job. What if this person has a family to feed? I think next time I'll just go to the other dealership across town where I really love their service.

BTW, I have a question. If I remember correctly, when we rotate tires, the R front goes to the L back and the L front goes to the R back. Is it not correct? Is there anything that makes the RX tires different? They just swapped the front with the back. All the tires stay on the same side. Thanks.
Old 11-13-07, 08:59 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

BTW, I have a question. If I remember correctly, when we rotate tires, the R front goes to the L back and the L front goes to the R back. Is it not correct? Is there anything that makes the RX tires different? They just swapped the front with the back. All the tires stay on the same side. Thanks.
well there is actually a diagram in the manual (a rather perplex way of doing it) where the spare is used as well. but they are again too lazy to do it.
Old 11-13-07, 09:42 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

We are in LA lower Alabama and the only dealer that is with in 150 miles of this town thinks they are doing you something special just to let you make an appointment to go to the service department. Forget trying to call a service writer and talking to him on the phone its voice mail only and a day or two later they may call back or not. This store still does not understand that good service will bring people back in and there crap will keep me in a Toyota dealer ship for all work.
Old 01-04-08, 03:41 AM
cariesfree
Rookie

After they rotated the tires, I felt like the vehicle pulled to one side or the other while driving on the freeway, but didn't have time to bring it in for a check. Last week I brought it in (a different dealership) to check out the wind noise. While there, I mentioned about the drifting. They checked and felt the same as I did. They had to rotate the tires again. This time they cross-rotated them. And it did fix the drifting. The advisor said due to uni-direction of the RX tires, the other dealership was supposed to verify if the vehicle drifts after rotation. They can not just simply rotate. I thought I'd share it with you guys in case you run into this problem.
Old 01-04-08, 02:14 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Not all Dealers are created equal.....

Quick Reply: My recent experience @ Lexus dealership