RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Dueler H/L Alenza

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 05:09 PM
rxovermdx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dueler H/L Alenza

Hey guys, I need your feedback on the tire for RX, 18". According to TireRack, these are the most 'popular', Dueler alenza vs. Michelin energy vs. Goodyears vs. Kumho. To me seems like Dueler Alenza is the way to go, but I am concerned about its premature tread wear.
Old 11-10-07, 11:56 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Follow this thread....

All I have to say.....Wohoo! I love these tires!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=alenza
Old 11-11-07, 09:57 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Follow this thread....

I also think these are much better than the Goodyear or Michelins.
Old 11-11-07, 11:24 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Don't write-off the Kumhos...

I was going to do the same deal with the Alenzas as the linked post describes, but instead decided to try the Kumhos.

Purchased through Tire Rack and installed by a local shop listed on the Tire Rack site, we got all 4 installed for around $480.

Compared to the OEM Michelins which had 41k on them, these tires rock! Road noise is significantly lower than the Michelins, and grip is outstanding. With the Michelins, I would get tire squeals whenever going through freeway interchanges at moderate speeds. These Kumhos don't break a sweat.
Old 11-11-07, 05:24 PM
rxovermdx
Driver

I will give Alenza a crack at it. Thanks guys!
Old 11-12-07, 03:27 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

I would have to say. I love those tires. I am never switching back to those Michelins. Not that its a bad tire but I like the feel of these tires.
:thumbsup:
Old 11-12-07, 05:11 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

After a few weeks on the B'stones I think the big difference over the Michelins is the sidewall construction. Michelin has always had a very stiff sidewall - which contributes to their sharp cornering feel. Bridgestone retains 99.9% of that sharpness, but is a bit more compliant - producing a "thud" rather than a "bang" over a pothole. There is a difference in manufacturer's philosophy, if not technology - and Michelin came by theirs honestly.

The old Michelin "X" was one of the first radials sold in the US, and its ability to keep the tread planted flat on the road made it the secret weapon of a lot of autocrossers back in the day. Its downside was that with a thin sidewall, it tended to try to squirm off the rim under heavy cornering, even though the tread remained flat on the track surface. The trick was to blow up your "X"'s to about 40-45 psi to keep them from rolling under - stiffening the sidewall (and the whole tire) - and making it ride like it was solid rubber. Of course, suspension technology back in that era (Pleistocene) was limited - some vaunted "handlers" still used king posts ("sliding pillar" front suspension on the Morgan), and sports car manufacturers did not understand that the tire was part of the suspension system.

The over-inflation trick worked well at the track - but you wanted to let out some of the air before you drove your rat-racer home . . . to save your spine. Michelin responded by stiffening the sidewalls to achieve that elusive "sharpness" of handling, but as with over-inflating the tires, it came with a penalty - a rather harder ride than its contemporaries'. Ever since, Michelin's bias has been to produce a tire with a slightly stiffer sidewall to achieve that "sharp" road feel - without having to blow up the tire to dangerously high pressures. They have produced outstanding tires for many years that handle like few others - if you are willing to accept the slight penalty in ride comfort engendered by the stiffer sidewalls.

Now comes the low-profile tire "fashion" where everyone wants to make their grocery-getter look like a F1 racer. Narrowing the sidewall naturally produces a harder ride - thanks to reduced sidewall compliance over bumps. Michelin is again trying to find that "sweet spot" where the tire can produce prodigious cornering grip and still deliver a smooth ride. This time they have company - practically every major performance tire manufacturer is trying to do just that. In the end, the consumer is going to have to make a choice as to which manufacturer delivers the compromise between ride and handling that suits his own application and backside sensitivity. There are really no wrong answers here - it's a matter of choice.
Old 11-13-07, 04:11 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Follow this thread....

I agree with Lextranny.

We have Alenza's on our RX300. We do have a noticeable drop in fuel efficiency 1-2 mpg on both street and highway, but well worth it when compared with the OEM Goodyear Integritys. Handling, traction is significantly improved with these tires.
Old 11-14-07, 06:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We also change from Goodyear Integritys to Alenza on our last car, what a diff. in traction. We did notice a little less MPG, but not 1 to 2 MPG. The reason why the Goodyear gets good gas mileage is that its rubber is so hard that it barely cause any friction on the road
Old 11-14-07, 08:26 AM
Seadee456
Driver

Yeah, the consensus is that there is a slight drop in gas milage but you do gain traction, better ride, and the last longer. I would not take my Michelins back.
Old 11-14-07, 11:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Too bad the Michelin cross terrain doesnt come in the RX's size. They are one of the best tires I have ever owned.