RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

My RX350 smells bad after A/C is turned off!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 05:45 PM
Env_Engr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My RX350 smells bad after A/C is turned off!

My RX has about 2000 miles on it now. I have been noticing that every time I switch from A/C to regular fan mode, some weird smell (not pleasent) comes from the fan and it keeps blowing for a long time. I want to check and see if this is normal? I had the same issue with my old 1998 Toyota Avalon but I thought new cars will not have that problem. Anyway...if you guys have the same problem and have a remedy, please help me.

Thanks,
SVK
Old 11-14-07, 07:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

everyone gets this problem. if your smelling a sour foul smelling odor, then it can only be one thing: mold

what happens is that the water that leaks out of the AC from the cold air stays in the vents and isnt released properly or entirely (notice that when your AC is on, look under your car, you will see water dripping out). what happens is when the water gets old, it starts to turn foul or even mold.

some solutions:
tell your lexus dealer (like i do everytime i go in) to change the air filter and most recently, they applied a sanitizer smell and i guess sprayed it on the filter. now my car smells like a bathroom, but i guess its better than mold

or...open all your windows, set the AC on HIGH and on the HOTtest setting. this is an attempt to dry the water inside and kill off all the growing bacteria in your vents

there are also some sprays you can buy at your local autoparts store. i havent tried this option yet
Old 11-15-07, 12:34 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Another thing that works too is always run your AC or whatever on FRESH air mode only as that seems to keep your coils dryer and you wont have that smell! I never use Recirculate unless Im behind some damn diesal truck--but I pass them very quickly
Old 11-15-07, 04:29 AM
BrownRB
Driver School Candidate

Those sprays work quite well. You run the fan on high and spray into the outside air intake. Kills mold and smells good - great for getting rid of cigarette smells.
Old 11-15-07, 06:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I always turn off the AC about 5 mins before I get to where I am going. Its the condensation in the ductwork that cause the smell. Turning off the AC will equalize the temp inside the ductwork to the outside temp somewhat. Putting the air mode to outside air also helps when shutting off the AC. If there is molds in the duct work already, try spary a can of disinfectant in the air intake with the fan on full.
Old 11-15-07, 06:18 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrownRB
Those sprays work quite well.

Originally Posted by The G Man
If there is molds in the duct work already, try spary a can of disinfectant in the air intake with the fan on full.
Please advise the manufacture/name of the spray(s) and where you found them that you are referring to. My GS is having the same problem despite the changing out of the cabin air filter.
Old 11-15-07, 07:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lysol or any kind of disinfectant spary will do.
Old 11-15-07, 07:50 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lysol or any kind of disinfectant spary will do.

Thanks for your input. I had a feeling you would say "Lysol." I hate the smell of Lysol so much that I think it is on the same level as the moldy smell that I trying to get rid of. If any one else know of other products that will work, please chime in.
Old 11-15-07, 08:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The auto part store or the dealer have some special spary for this, but I am not sure if it smells any better than Lysol.
Old 11-15-07, 08:53 AM
BrownRB
Driver School Candidate

The brand of apray that I tried had a peppermint smell. Can't remember the name.
Old 11-15-07, 10:17 AM
RXSF

The brand of apray that I tried had a peppermint smell
o0o pepperment. its like christmas morn everytime you step in.
Old 11-15-07, 03:22 PM
tgdaman
Rookie

Env,
I have a '08 RX too and haven't noticed any foul smell under any conditions including the one you describe, so it isn't normal.
Old 11-15-07, 04:50 PM
RXSF

Env,
I have a '08 RX too and haven't noticed any foul smell under any conditions including the one you describe, so it isn't normal.

it is normal, with time, it will reveal itself
Old 11-15-07, 06:00 PM
Env_Engr
Driver School Candidate

Default Molds - really?

Thank you all for your replies. My Rx is only 3 months old and it is hard to believe that the smell is due to molds for such a new car! I will mention this to the dealer during my next visit and see what response I get.
Old 11-15-07, 07:52 PM
Crystal_RX
Driver

My RX350 is about 1 year old. However, I do not have this problem. Probably because I live in Seattle and the weather helps which I do not need to use that much air conditioning.

Quick Reply: My RX350 smells bad after A/C is turned off!