RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is ML worth wait and cost? Please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-07, 04:35 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is ML worth wait and cost? Please help me!

After much agonizing back and forth, I finally picked an RX over a GS since I found driving a bit higher to be more fun and the seating overall more comfortable.

The dealer can get me just the RX color combo I want and get me a fully loaded RX, but I have to make a decision. In less than 2 weeks he can get me exactly what I want except it doesn't have the ML audio. For that I will have to wait 6-12 weeks and, of course, pay more (about $2K I think, but I could be wrong.)

Now, this is very important. I will be listening (on CDs plus on XM sat) to about 65% classical, 25% news and 10% 50s/60s rock. I usually have the stereo at medium volume. I don't turn it high up.

1) Based on your experience, will I be able to tell much difference in ML, given my listening characteristics?

2) Is it worth the wait and cost?

Question 1 is the most important to me, but I'm also interested in your thoughts on question 2. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me!

Last edited by steverhode; 11-17-07 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 04:43 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) prob not a ton of diff based on your music, but if the classical music is on CDs or DVD-Audio's (rather than some FM station) then it may make quite a difference. the ML really shines w/ CD playback IMO. the sounds are just fuller, which for classical music i think is a big factor.

2) i personally think so. it adds value, so you can think of it "costing" less than whatever the MSRP on it is. the other thing is that the changer is now a DVD changer if you get ML, so you get the added benefit of being able to watch DVDs on the nav screen (when parked OR if you manually hack it). just something to think about if it interests you...
Old 11-17-07, 05:10 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default What do others think?

Originally Posted by lexuslover
1) prob not a ton of diff based on your music, but if the classical music is on CDs or DVD-Audio's (rather than some FM station) then it may make quite a difference. the ML really shines w/ CD playback IMO. the sounds are just fuller, which for classical music i think is a big factor.

2) i personally think so. it adds value, so you can think of it "costing" less than whatever the MSRP on it is. the other thing is that the changer is now a DVD changer if you get ML, so you get the added benefit of being able to watch DVDs on the nav screen (when parked OR if you manually hack it). just something to think about if it interests you...

Thanks, and I am really hoping that others will chime in with their thoughts too. (By the way, almost everything I listen to will be on either CDs or on XM sat.)
Old 11-17-07, 06:33 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ML in my GS which I bought used. I would not have bought it without ML. In the short term I think you could get a better sounding aftermarket system for under $2,000 but when you sell the ML would be worth more as buyers like myself prefer factory install over some guy at Joe's audio. I think only the high end system in VW's can compare with the ML as far as OEM goes. At one point ML was the highest rated OEM system.
Old 11-17-07, 07:54 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

WE have a ML in my 330 and classical is all that I listen to. We had to wait 4 months for them to make it and ship it to us from Japan. The local dealer had it for a week and we were in one of their pane Jane 330's and you can tell the difference in the sound. It’s up to you what you really will be happy with the tin box sound of the stock sound system or real sound. Now the ML in the cars has a lot more to offer than that in the Rx but you have to be happy with your car. Never let a few thousand dollars get in the way. You never want to be six months in a new car and think I should have got this or that also with this car.
Old 11-20-07, 01:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The point is that the ML in the RX is not worth a few thousand dollars. BTW the ML system in the GS is better than the RX.
Old 11-20-07, 06:15 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes a difference in everything. You will notice it mostly in the music, but even in talk radio... great depth to speakers/singers.
Old 11-20-07, 07:52 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lucasb7
It makes a difference in everything. You will notice it mostly in the music, but even in talk radio... great depth to speakers/singers.
I thought so too until I spend a solid hour at my dealer going back and forth between 2 2008 RXs, one that had ML and one that did not. There was ZERO difference no matter which CD I choose or what station I listened to. I believe that in a blind test most people will not be pick out the ML.
Old 11-20-07, 08:15 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

we are glad it does not make a difference to you. But to some it is a big difference. It is all it what one likes. That is why the dealer have all the plane jane can on there floor plans. they known they can turn them over fast. Have a nice life
Old 11-20-07, 08:43 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by billy44bo
we are glad it does not make a difference to you. But to some it is a big difference. It is all it what one likes. That is why the dealer have all the plane jane can on there floor plans. they known they can turn them over fast. Have a nice life

Are you sure? Try a test with and without ML one right after another, going back and forth for an hour. Don't count on remembering how one sounds from the past. You may be surprised.

20/20 did a segment recently in which people were absolutely sure that they could tell a big difference in their expensive vodkas vs. the normal stuff. But when they tried a blind test, they could not tell any difference or they frequently guessed wrong.
Old 11-20-07, 10:35 PM
cariesfree
Rookie

I almost got the ML but chose not to because the look of the DVD screen. It doesn't fit there well IMO. Not sure how true it is, but the saleman told us that you would need to pump it high to be able to hear the difference. Another thing is that you listen while driving. Will the difference be noticable, esp when you have to pay attention to the road? This is quite diffrent from choosing a particular home theater system over another one. The RX ride is nice, but not that quiet when compared to other Lexus sedans. Either way, you'll get an RX! Good luck!
Old 11-21-07, 06:01 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steverhode, I wish I had your problem, the difference in sound are not worth the two thousand dollars. This kind of money can buy you the whole audio system setup for a car, and I'm talking about some high end stuff. If the money are burning your pockets then some charity needs it more lol
Old 11-21-07, 11:09 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Shop around via the internet and

find what you want elsewhere. Don't let them tell you your local dealer won't give you a loaner during an overnight service visit because they will (they have to per Lexus). Also, if the salesman finds out you "HAVE" to have something you WILL NOT get the best deal.
Old 11-21-07, 04:35 PM
Tom H
Rookie

I agree about the ML not making a big difference in the RX unless your sitting in your garage with the engine turned off. I think that any subtle improvements in sound quality would be masked by the excessive interior cabin and road noise anyway. Maybe you would hear the advantage in the LS or possibly an LX. I could see the extra 2K myself.
Old 11-26-07, 12:08 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo

A big difference? No. If you want to hear a big Difference, compare the ML system in the RX to the ML system in the GX, LX or LS.

Quick Reply: Is ML worth wait and cost? Please help me!