RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Flowmaster Exhaust on RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 06:33 AM
Lexguy026
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Exhaust on RX

I was curious to see if anyone has modded the RX Exhaust to somthing with a little more kick, with maybe a flowmaster muffler or some type of performance Exhaust to get a diffrent sound. I havent seen much on the 3.3 V6 and was curious as to how it would sound.
Old 11-21-07, 07:58 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you serious--Flowmaster on a Lexus
Old 11-21-07, 10:49 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now thats something i havent heard about in a long time. funny though i thought about putting a thermal exhuast system in.....
Old 11-22-07, 06:11 AM
Lexguy026
Rookie

Well, it doesnt have to be flowmaster, but im curious to see / hear any exhaust modifications, i just wanna make the RX sound almost like the FX55 or better, i mean thats why the forums are here right to toss around ideas
:-) i know it may sound silly, but i was just thinking about it.
Old 11-22-07, 06:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I'll give you my opinion. Flowmaster has a lower growl than say a Magnaflow, that is due to Flowmasters being more restrictive in design (though they do a good job of maxizing the power out of the restriction). Something like an APC muffler (cheap but they do the job) is very direct, and is slightly louder than the Magnaflow. Magnaflow is also direct, but has a lot more internals that quiet the sound better than the APC.
Old 11-22-07, 06:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lexguy026
Well, it doesnt have to be flowmaster, but im curious to see / hear any exhaust modifications, i just wanna make the RX sound almost like the FX55 or better, i mean thats why the forums are here right to toss around ideas
:-) i know it may sound silly, but i was just thinking about it.
Well, the exhaust sound is largely predicated on the engine itself. Because our engine groups aren't as powerful as those of the FX, the sound truly won't be the same. You'd need to force a lot of power through the engine and do some major exhaust work, widening pipes, oval mufflers (not bazookas) to get a similar sound, but if you don't have the power up front, it won't sound the way you want it to. I am sure you are quite familiar from my videos what mine sounds like and despite that power, won't get close to an FX.
Old 11-22-07, 06:31 AM
Lexguy026
Rookie

Yea ive actually checked your page out, RX is really nice
Old 11-22-07, 06:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am hoping to do some exhaust work on Saturday morning (I actually have a lot of work to do on my RX...maintenance things), so I don't know if I will get to this.

Modifying the exhaust is VERY IMPORTANT if you want power. Even changing piping 1/4 of an inch in diameter can yield important gains and ease up restriction.

What it I want to get rid of this resonator you can see here and have a 1 in, 2 out resonator/muffler stuck in there, instead of the straight 1 in 1 out round resonator here (round resonators are good, but not as mufflers on the rear end), in addition, I want to scrap this flex pipe here (bad idea in terms of power as I have found out) and stretch the y pipe in front of it to the front of the catalytic converter. The blue lines I made below show the approximate change in flow I will be making and the yellow lines are the current flow.

Ideally, I could probably in the future have a 2 in, 1 out high flow cat, but it really won't make much of a difference in that space.
Attached Thumbnails Flowmaster Exhaust on RX-img_3310-a.jpg  
Old 11-23-07, 11:53 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

you have to be careful yo dont make the piping too big otherwise you might start to lose power. thermal mufflers for example are usually straight thru designs, and almost always make a car's exhaust sound deep and loud.
Old 11-24-07, 04:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AM1
you have to be careful yo dont make the piping too big otherwise you might start to lose power. thermal mufflers for example are usually straight thru designs, and almost always make a car's exhaust sound deep and loud.
Now that is true.

I thought mine was wide enough but after taking a trip to an elevation about 3000 feet lower than where I was the air was really violent entering my engine...it would jerk back (that ram air intake was doing it, but I need to open up that restriction to let those ponies free.
Old 11-26-07, 12:04 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

why not go with a hi flow cat like a random technology one. get rid of the resonators, etc.
Old 11-26-07, 03:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AM1
why not go with a hi flow cat like a random technology one. get rid of the resonators, etc.
I may. I looked into the those from Random once, more cost. Resonators have to stay. Mexico is no issue, but when I go home to the U.S., noise seems to attract nice people who wear shiny badges.
Old 11-26-07, 08:59 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexmex is right, when modifying the exhaust systems you should either keep the exhaust resonator or replace it, getting rid of it will just cause an obnoxious and annoying rasp. I put a Magnaflow muffler on my RX300 and kept everything stock, the only other modification would be a K&N Filter and removing the stock airbox resonator.

Old 11-26-07, 11:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh my, a fart can on a Lexus, what a shame
Old 11-27-07, 02:13 AM
Mutley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AM1

Hi flow cats will cause the CEL to come on.. Not worth it... High flow cats are not OBD II compliant.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Exhaust on RX