RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tire warning light on dash board...won't go away...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 07:10 PM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire warning light on dash board...won't go away...

Hi~

I recently got a "tire warning" light on my dash board so I went to a gas station and checked my tire pressure. I had it about a month ago and went to a local gas station and pumped it up to 31...I know the recommendation is 30 but I just wanted to put some extra.

And recently it got really cold here in Austin but it was pretty warm today but still I have the warning light.

Should I adjust the tire pressure to 30 or is this something I should take it to Lexus?

If I take it to my Lexus dealer, will this be covered by my warranty?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-26-07, 07:26 PM
Crystal_RX
Driver

1. Check the spare tire presure to make sure it is not loosing air. Spare tire is monitored as well.

2. if nothing wrong with spare tire and all of your tires are inflated properly, then reset the system and it should correct the problem.

3. Here is instruction how to reset tire warning system light (you can find this in the manual as well)
- Turn the ignition key ON.
- Press the "Tire Pressure Reset Button" and hold until the Warning light on the instrument display flashes 3-times, the leave key on for about another 2-minutes.
- You are done!
(The Reset Button is under the panel just below the steering wheel)

Good luck

----------------------
Crystal White RX350
Old 11-26-07, 07:34 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

When temperatures go down during the winter time, tire pressure goes down too. You can to test tire pressure when the tires are at their coldest points, meaning, having the car sit outside for 3-4 hours around the nighttime.

This happened to me recently as well, the light just came on due to a sudden drop in the average temperatures. I had to fill the air pressure to the recommended amount at cold inflation. After driving for a few days, it went away.
Old 11-27-07, 02:11 AM
Mutley
Driver School Candidate

I dont think that the RX has the Valve stem type TPMS since it uses a rubber stems.. I'd take it to the dealer and see whats going on.
Old 11-27-07, 06:07 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

From the useless information file...

Your tires will loose a pound of air pressurefor every 10° F the temperature drops. If you last filled your tires to 30 psi. when they were warm, say 80° F, and now it's 30° F, you will now see 25 psi. of pressure in the tires.

Several people have told me that if you fill your tires with nitrogen that this doesn't happen but I did this at Costco and guess what. Same effect. Not too surprising when you consider that regular air consists of 78% nitrogen anyway. The hassle of going all the way back to Costco to adjust the air pressure was out of the question so I'm back to regular air. At least it is easy to kick up the compressor and adjust the pressure in my garage.
Old 11-27-07, 07:05 AM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies...you guys are awesome...

If I take it to a Lexus dealer, would it be covered by my warranty?
Old 11-27-07, 07:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
From the useless information file...

Your tires will loose a pound of air pressurefor every 10° F the temperature drops. If you last filled your tires to 30 psi. when they were warm, say 80° F, and now it's 30° F, you will now see 25 psi. of pressure in the tires.

Several people have told me that if you fill your tires with nitrogen that this doesn't happen but I did this at Costco and guess what. Same effect. Not too surprising when you consider that regular air consists of 78% nitrogen anyway. The hassle of going all the way back to Costco to adjust the air pressure was out of the question so I'm back to regular air. At least it is easy to kick up the compressor and adjust the pressure in my garage.
There is a Costo a stone's throw away from me where I have been getting nitrogen as of late. However, I too won't go back there just to top off. With normal air, I used to lose about 1 psi per month, but the nitrogen holds pretty well even if I had a bit of air to the mix over say 6 months.
Old 11-28-07, 12:18 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by nowstime
Hi~

I recently got a "tire warning" light on my dash board so I went to a gas station and checked my tire pressure. I had it about a month ago and went to a local gas station and pumped it up to 31...I know the recommendation is 30 but I just wanted to put some extra.

And recently it got really cold here in Austin but it was pretty warm today but still I have the warning light.

Should I adjust the tire pressure to 30 or is this something I should take it to Lexus?

If I take it to my Lexus dealer, will this be covered by my warranty?

Thanks in advance...

Your RX is a 2007, it has the direct TPMS system. Check your spare tire air pressure.
Old 11-28-07, 10:30 PM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Thanks...for all the information...

I tried to check the spare tire on the bottom but how do I do it? Do I have to unscrew the spare tire holder or is there a easier way to do it...

And if I take it...should it be covered by my warranty?

Thanks a bunch...
Old 11-28-07, 11:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have missed it buy you need to state which year RX you have. the 04-06 has a passive type system that uses the wheel sensors. The 07+ uses the direct active system with special valve stems that measure tire pressure. If you have an 04-06, there is no reason to check your spare tire as it is not the problem (Well, you should check it anyway just to make sure it is not flat for that time when you do need it). If you have the 07+ you can check the spare tire. To make things easier you should just remove the spare tire by lowering it from under the car to gain easy access to the valve stem.
Old 11-29-07, 07:43 AM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Thanks...

I have a 07 and will remove the spare cap and get it checked.

Will update pretty soon...