RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Big Model Change Coming When Exactly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 12:59 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Big Model Change Coming When Exactly?

For those of us in final boarding stages of buying a 2008 RX, the timing of the release of the new model is very important.

Basically, there are 2 theories. An older and longer term theory says the big change to the RX will be in a 2009 model, which will be available for purchase sometime in the spring of 2008 (i.e., less than 6 months away). The more recent theory is that it will be a 2010 model to be released in the spring of 2009 (about 1 1/2 years away).

I gave my son my 1998 GS to take to college. After a lot of research, I concluded that I most wanted to get a new RX as my next car. I've been sharing my wife's car for 3 months, but this can't go on much longer. I want to buy now, but, if I was absolutely convinced that the new RX was coming by say April of next year, I might be willing to wait. I certainly can't wait on the off-change that it will show up in April.

My dealer is convinced/certain and the more recent articles I've seen point to a 2009 release of the 2010 model.

Ignoring what you'd like to happen, when do you believe it will be released and, most importantly, on what do you base that belief.
Old 11-27-07, 01:37 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Both stories are all over the automotive forums - it seems that the release is scheduled for spring of '08, BUT I wouldn't want to bet too much on it. The RX330 was scheduled to come out the first week of March 2003, however last minute organizational problems brought very few to our shores before May. I took delivery in June - the leasing company (non-Lexus) was getting ready to put out a contract on me, despite the fact I continued to pay on my lease three months over the agreed term. Delays set in - March became April, May, and early June, as one thing or another delayed the new models. Lots of folks had prepaid - and they were REALLY unhappy.

When my new car did arrive, it wasn't quite correct - it was missing the "adaptive cruise" that had been sidetracked by Lexus' legal department at the last moment . . . they were frightened by our litigious society and backed off putting applications of throttle and brakes in the cold hands of a computer. It spent a couple extra days in make-ready while the mechanics figured out the niceties of initializing the windows, moonroof, seat and steering wheel adjustments, in addition to finding and marking off all of the required items on the delivery checklist.

The result was nearly a 4-month delay in delivery - but I was lucky. I had minimal issues common to early adopters - TSB's on transmission shift programs, brake rotors, and a couple of small parts, plus leaky headlights were all quickly handled under warranty. A year later, option packages became more flexible, special orders were being accepted, and prices actually fell a little.

I worked in product development for a large company at one time and should have learned my lesson: Never buy serial number #1 of anything.

As much as I would like the newer model, I might be willing to wait a bit this time.
Old 11-27-07, 02:10 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i honestly think its going to be spring of 2008.

reasons:
1) look at how much the competition has grown ie. bmw refreshed its x5, we have the cx-9, the new mdx and rdx, the new highlander
2) sales are going to slowly decrease because of above mentioned
3) this is the 5th model year, and thats a lot for a lexus SUV
4) the highlander just came out (some may say the new highlander is better [more features] than the current RX) and lexus wouldnt allow its little brother to beat the RX
5) the concept that was just unveiled showed some hints as to what the RX will look like

Since nobody is certain for sure...wait until January. There is an important auto show (i dont remember the name) but its sometime in the beginning of January. If they dont unveil it then, then it might be a 2010 model.
Old 11-27-07, 02:29 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

The salespeople at the Lexus dealer I go to believe that it will be sometime next year, 2008.

Plus, if you like the current design and can get a good deal, why not get it now. If you are planning on buying the new redesign, will you like how it looks? Perhaps you'll have to deal with paying more or deal with issues as an "early adopter?"

All questions to consider.

Last edited by sportsfan8; 11-27-07 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 03:11 PM
Druco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
i honestly think its going to be spring of 2008.

reasons:
1) look at how much the competition has grown ie. bmw refreshed its x5, we have the cx-9, the new mdx and rdx, the new highlander
2) sales are going to slowly decrease because of above mentioned
3) this is the 5th model year, and thats a lot for a lexus SUV
4) the highlander just came out (some may say the new highlander is better [more features] than the current RX) and lexus wouldnt allow its little brother to beat the RX
5) the concept that was just unveiled showed some hints as to what the RX will look like

Since nobody is certain for sure...wait until January. There is an important auto show (i dont remember the name) but its sometime in the beginning of January. If they dont unveil it then, then it might be a 2010 model.
Couldn't agree with you anymore! My dealer told me around summertime
Old 11-27-07, 04:10 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Lil4X;3082789]I had minimal issues common to early adopters - TSB's on transmission shift programs, brake rotors, and a couple of small parts, plus leaky headlights were all quickly handled under warranty. A year later, option packages became more flexible, special orders were being accepted, and prices actually fell a little.

I worked in product development for a large company at one time and should have learned my lesson: Never buy serial number #1 of anything.
QUOTE]

In general I agree about never buying the 1st model of any car (until it is at least a year old and they have found the major issues), having said that, I purchased an April/May 2003 RX330 and had 0 problems with it in 4 years. That is Zero, zip, Nada problems. All Aussie Lexus are made in Japan however.
Old 11-28-07, 01:07 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Druco
Couldn't agree with you anymore! My dealer told me around summertime
I was at my dealer yesterday, and a factory rep was there. The factory guy said he was sure the new RX would be coming out in 2009, not next year.

Who knows if he is right. But he seemed very confident in his facts.
Old 11-28-07, 02:45 PM
Druco
Driver School Candidate

Right now would be a hard time knowing on what there saying is true. They have a big sales event going on now "December to remember" which they make out VERY well. I wish they weren't so secretive! But, I was weighing out my options and looked at the 2008 GX. My sales person at Lexus knows how I am and when we were discussing about the GX, she told me (but didn't want to) that there's word on the street that 2009 will be different!! Who knows again?? right?? If your rep is telling the truth, sadly to say but I'll have to go elsewhere for a new ride.
Old 11-28-07, 03:35 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
I was at my dealer yesterday, and a factory rep was there. The factory guy said he was sure the new RX would be coming out in 2009, not next year.

Sales people want to make a sale now, not later. So, they will say whatever will make "a sale." Reliable sources for product launches will be car clubs like ours.
Old 11-28-07, 03:52 PM
Jimkerry
Driver School Candidate

Missing a key product launch, even in the auto industry, by a year would be a total disaster. Considering the new Highlander is already out and the value of the RX to Lexus' bottom line, I just don't see that happening.

Keep in mind that the people telling you it will slip by a year (1) know you are ready to pull the trigger and (2) are motivated to sell you something now, especially with bloated RX inventories.

Jimbo
Old 11-28-07, 07:43 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Got a 2008 gorgeous Matador Red 400h

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Sales people want to make a sale now, not later. So, they will say whatever will make "a sale." Reliable sources for product launches will be car clubs like ours.
Well, I needed a car right now -- since I've been sharing my wife's car after I gave my son my GS this past August to take to college -- so I used the historically high resale value that RXs command to help me decide that now was the time to buy.

If a new model comes out in either 2008 or 2009, I can sell mine after I've had it for a year or so and still do just fine when I swap it for a new model. I was NOT willing to attempt to share my wife's car for another 6 months in the hope that a new model (of the color I want) will be ready for me to drive away.

For the record, I got the 2008 gorgeous Matador Red 400h with Ivory interior that I wanted. I am now a very happy camper.
Old 11-30-07, 12:44 PM
Druco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steverhode

Well, I was at the dealership today (Friday) and word just got in this morning that the 2009 RX will not be redesigned until 2009 making it a 2010 RX. This is no BS this will be a fact Sucks!
Old 11-30-07, 01:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

May I ask who was the source of this information? To be perfectly frank, sometimes the dealers get conflicting reports.
Old 11-30-07, 06:35 PM
Druco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by encore888
May I ask who was the source of this information? To be perfectly frank, sometimes the dealers get conflicting reports.
I understand what your saying. They could tell me anything they want and the only thing I have to go by is what there saying to me (Manager at Lexus). I've been pretty much up there butt about this and first they said "Yes" the 2009 will be redesigned and that was about a month ago. Today I had to get the RX inspected and stopped by the showroom and the salesperson came up to me and said that we got interesting news this morning and said that the 2009 RX will not be redesigned until the year 2009 making it a 2010. They do know that I would like to get out of my current RX but I made it perfectly clear that I won't be spending additional 20-25k on something that already looks like the one I have.
Old 12-01-07, 12:47 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen plenty of articles of new model changes coming as 2010 model instead of 2009 model as some have been passing around the internet. If anything the latest release may be more upgrades (w/spy photos) and such to the hybrid version and maybe a more powerful version for 2009 as a preliminary upgrade before the whole complete revision as some say that might be coming as a 2010 model.

Quick Reply: Big Model Change Coming When Exactly?