RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

So I was rear ended...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 07:37 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry to hear about what happened. The important thing is that you and your daughter seem ok, and hopefully you both fully recover.

All I want to ask is if you have most of his information, license plate #, make and model of the vehicle, dl#, time and date, a picture?

Nowadays people will do anything to get out of losing money. On the other hand we have to try to make sure to get a police report, pictures, and ALL information with any type of accident. But sometimes we panic, or forget, were all humans so don't worry too much about it.

Hopefully all goes well and this guy is not able to bail out like this. Keep us posted with any info, and goodluck!!! We're on your side!!
Old 12-11-07, 09:15 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did get the license plate number and gave it to the insurance company. The last I heard is "He doesn't remember an accident". Uh huh. He doesn't remember getting out of the car, having a discussion, giving me his insurance card, etc.

I am dealing with his insurance company. I called mine and they said I could go through his (I figured this would be cut and dry, why involve mine?). Should I go ahead and involve mine at this point? I'd hate to involve mine, have them pay a few dollars after the deductable, decide not to investigate, and then hit me for a zillion fees because I was rear ended!

His insurance company did an estimate based on visual, and came out with about $700 to replace the bumper. They said I could go anywhere and use original parts, and shop could call them with a problem or evidence of internal damage. Their guy seemed knowledgable. They said they use the pictures as part of the investigation. However, they are still not agreeing to pay it because the guy is denying the accident, so I will wait.

The car is drivable and we seem OK, so right now this is just an annoyance.
Old 12-11-07, 10:17 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Unfortunately it seems headed towards who ever has the most patience, leverage and weight behind them.

You can go through your insurance, if you have un-insured/under_insured clause. Pay your detuctable and let your insurance company recover (or not) from the other party + insurance. [this may be the easiest]

You can hire a lawyer (to write demand letters) or represent you in court or take to to small claims court.

It is sad that the laws (not the intent but how it affects people) is usually for the law abiding folks.
[even if you have a police report and on top of that judgement against the other driver, recovery is not guaranteed.]

Salim
Old 12-11-07, 12:12 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife had a similar type of accident a year ago. An older guy, mid-70s, hit her as she was at a stop light. They got out, looked over the cars, exchanged information, and called the police who didn't respond since no one was injured and the cars had no VISIBLE damage. Just to be sure, my wife called our insurance company and they suggested an inpsection. $450+ in unseen damage, mostly to the bumper stucture. The other guys insurance looked the car over and they more or less agreed with the dollar damage. The next week we get a call from his company and he says he didn't hit her.

1. How do I have your insurance info if you didn't do anything?
2. Why do BOTH companies agree that there is damage?
3. Any why does an insurance company insure someone who can't remember hitting someone and who is diabetic and on pain killing medicine, my wife asks the insurance agent?

We went to small claims court and when the judge saw BOTH insurance company's dollar figure, she spent five minutes deliberating and awarded us damages.

Take it to small claims court if it applies and let them handle it. Be sure and have a qualified technician inspect the vehicle for hidden damage.
Old 12-11-07, 02:14 PM
hyiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noone wants an accident. but if it happens, (esp. if its not your fault) wait for police to come. Yes, that might mean an hour. But once police came, they cannot deny it did not happen anymore. Don't let them get out of it.

and Meantime... copy everything. license plate, driver license, insurance, car's registration, car VIN#, make, model, yr, color, how many people in each car... who are they.. anyone seems hurt... anything you can note down.
and yes, phone camera is useful. he didn't remember the accident. I just got like 5 pics of his car and him... liar...

I hate irresponsible people like that...
sorry about the ranting....