RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

cracked RX330 windshield ... after market or factory part?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 03:17 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Bottom line is a good after market glass such as PPG is no more likely to be distorted than the OEM glass. I have read on other forums that a few people, such as Orzel, who complain about distorted OEM glass as well. PPG makes the windshield for Lexus, all you are doing is paying a 100% mark up for the Lexus logo on the windshield.
Thank your for your opinion, G Man, but, do you have any facts to support that opinion? Any links that support your assumption that OEM and Aftermarket glass is the same? Anything?

I've read that there is a difference and I've posted two supporting links. Do you have any facts to dispute the claim made in those links that OEM glass is better?

Can you tell us why the auto manufacturers use OEM glass and not the cheaper aftermarket product?

Can you tell us why if they are the same, the federal government has more stringent testing requirements for OEM than aftermarket glass?

You probably know that PPG makes both OEM and aftermarket glass. Do you know that they are made in different plants with different specifications?

I'd like to see some facts to support your conclusion that they are identical except for the laser etching of a brand name please.
Old 12-06-07, 04:39 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
OEM and aftermarket windshields are not the same. OEM windshields are more expensive because they are slow annealed while aftermarket are not. The reason new cars have OEM glass is because they are required to meet strict federal regulations that aftermarket glass does not.

Your windshield is a large part of the safety features of your car. It's not there just to keep the rain from hitting you in the face. It is the backing plate for the air bags should they deploy. The windshield also provide as much as 60% of the structural rigidity of the roof in the event of a rollover. IMO, I would want OEM glass when it could affect my safety and that of my family and friends.

At the very least, make sure that the price quote is for glass that meets the FMVSS regulations, Be sure that the installer is certified and that his adhesives are fresh and meet the FMVSS regulations. Be aware that you shouldn't be driving that car for 24 hours after the new windshield has been installed as the adhesives have not yet cured. If you are in a severe accident the windshield could just pop out and your airbags will be useless or your roof could crush you. Doing a windshield in your drive way and you driving off a few minutes later is dangerous.

Do some web searching and you will be quite surprised what you will find about aftermarket glass. Also be aware that some of the same companies who make OEM glass also make aftermarket glass.

Aftermarket glass is cheaper for a reason. That reason is that corners are cut and it simply is not as strong as OEM glass.

Think for a minute about new car manufacturers. If they could cut corners on a windshield they could save up to $1,000 a car. Ask yourself why they use OEM and not the cheaper glass in new cars.

Here is a good read.
http://chicago.dbusinessnews.com/sho...pe_news=latest

Here is another.
http://www.ultrabond.com/whywindshields.pdf

I also noticed that in the first article they reference a comment that aftermarket glass might not be allowed under a lease agreement. Best check that out too.
well said my friend. well said. i have been looking for a replacement OEM factory windshield for my es. i have friends who said they know somebody who knows somebody that can do it for xx.xx amount of money and tell me that glass is glass. i dont believe them. actually a lot of people do not think i should waste my time as well. but i do. there is a reason that factory OEM Lexus glass is +$1000 and aftermarkets are $100-$300.
Charley
Old 12-06-07, 09:03 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the third RX that I have purchased since it was redesigned for 2004. I have had an 04, an 06 and now have an 08. During the summer, the 08 got a stone chip that spread very quickly horizontally across the passenger side of the windshield. I inquired both after market and at Lexus about the price of the glass + installation. As one can imagine, the prices varied greatly. When I inquired at Lexus I was asked rain sensor or rain sensor + heated glass. Unbeknownst to both me and the fleet manager at the large Toronto dealership, the windshield at least for both 07 and 08 has both rain sensor and heated lines to keep the wipers from freezing to the glass. If this feature was on the 06 or earlier I don't know. I finally opted for both the glass and the windshield to be installed by Lexus. My rationale was if the summer-installed windshield suddengly did not heat the wipers in the colder temps and they stuck to the glass, then I'd likely be out of luck -no warranty for aftermarket glass. I do not regret my decision and it works just fine--just my .02 cents. Perhaps something to consider?

dentate
near Toronto, ON
Old 12-07-07, 05:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Thank your for your opinion, G Man, but, do you have any facts to support that opinion? Any links that support your assumption that OEM and Aftermarket glass is the same? Anything?

I've read that there is a difference and I've posted two supporting links. Do you have any facts to dispute the claim made in those links that OEM glass is better?

Can you tell us why the auto manufacturers use OEM glass and not the cheaper aftermarket product?

Can you tell us why if they are the same, the federal government has more stringent testing requirements for OEM than aftermarket glass?

You probably know that PPG makes both OEM and aftermarket glass. Do you know that they are made in different plants with different specifications?

I'd like to see some facts to support your conclusion that they are identical except for the laser etching of a brand name please.
Seems like I created some confussion as far as oem vs dealer vs aftermarket. I should have call the aftermarket glass oem glass, which is diff from lexus glass with the Lexus logo.

Check out this site:

Looks like Pilkington or PPG is the way to go if your RX is 06 or older:

http://www.glass.net/auto-glass-info...uld-i-buy.html
Old 12-07-07, 02:37 PM
klevine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my glass replaced by safelite autoglass. it is the same exact glass that lexus uses. because of the sensors, as far as i know there isn't an aftermarket glass available (at least for the rx330.) the only difference besides the price from the safelite product and the lexus glass is the lexus logo is removed. i also recieved a lifetime replacement guarantee and safelite came to my office to install. difference in price was over $1000. even if the glass doesn't work out (which it has), i can replace it 3 more times during the life of the car and still break even with one install from the dealer.
Old 12-10-07, 07:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a windshield replace by safelite, I was not too happy with their quality of their work.
Old 08-23-09, 10:55 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Thats true if the aftermarket glass is a no name made in Taiwan or Mexico.

PPG, LOF, United, Pilkington are glass manufacturers for Toyota and Lexus here in North America. The glass these companies produce are O.E. spec.
No problems with LOF right? I'm probably going to have to get this glass installed to replace the cracked windshield in my 2008 IS 350 (purchased new in January).

I had a windshield replace by safelite, I was not too happy with their quality of their work.
damn, unfortunately, I don't think I have a choice in going with anyone else with Nationwide.

Seems like I created some confussion as far as oem vs dealer vs aftermarket. I should have call the aftermarket glass oem glass, which is diff from lexus glass with the Lexus logo.

Check out this site:

Looks like Pilkington or PPG is the way to go if your RX is 06 or older:

http://www.glass.net/auto-glass-info...uld-i-buy.html
I asked for PPG at first when I set up the appointment and they said they would do it for me. But then called me back and said they only have LOF. But looking on LOF's wiki, it seems it's now Pilkington. So, I think I'm good.

Originally Posted by Lil4X
....The part was from LOF, but the installer claimed that the only difference was the "Lexus" etched on the glass - most replacement windshields were made in the same plant. That's a pretty expensive etching. Where does Lexus get its glass, Lalique?
How has the LOF glass been working out for you?
Old 08-24-09, 09:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

There are no ACTUAL OEM windshields right? Just aftermarket which actually are made by the OEM glass makers.
Old 08-24-09, 11:11 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
There are no ACTUAL OEM windshields right? Just aftermarket which actually are made by the OEM glass makers.
This article explains it rather well.

http://www.glass.net/auto-glass-info...s-should-i-buy

And another good read here: http://www.carwindshields.info/
Old 08-24-09, 02:00 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Thanks for the information, great stuff!