RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Disabling the audible seatbelt reminder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07 | 02:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I'm for seat belts too, and use it every time i drive, but i don't need to be annoyed with a beep every time i start the car.
In this case, being that you are one to wear a seatbelt, why not buckle up before you start the car?
Old 01-01-08 | 08:50 AM
mindblower
Driver School Candidate

sometimes we encounter short rides that really do not need buckling up.. like for example, re-parking the car from the current lot to an adjacent lot, or giving a fren a ride from my house to 2 houses down .. around 150 meters... or some other short/safe trips. For such cases, I do not wish for the buzzer to sound the entire trip :P ... I've so far disabled it ... will leave it disabled permanently hehe...
Old 01-01-08 | 10:50 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Default Won't turn mine off.....

Originally Posted by jmgoldsmit
Is it possible to permanently disable the audible seatbelt reminder alert? If yes, how? Thanks.
Five years ago I 'rolled' a Toyota 4Runner five times. The only reason I am able to be alive and typing this is because ...... first, the good LORD spared my life and I was wearing my seatbelt. The vehicle didn't look like a vehicle because it was damged so severely. Both clavicles were broken plus ribs in two places. I will ALWAYS buckle up.
Old 01-01-08 | 10:59 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

i didnt know you could disable it. could be worse, i rented a saturn outlook and the dumb car would beep after less then 10 seconds of starting up the car even if you dont put the car in drive and would not shutup until you buckled up.
Old 01-02-08 | 03:27 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by mindblower
sometimes we encounter short rides that really do not need buckling up..
There is no such thing. You can get just as dead on the street in front of your house as you can on the freeway.

There is no excuse for not buckling the seat belt before you start the car. None. Period.
Old 01-02-08 | 06:41 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

The reason my wife is a seat belt fanatic is she has a friend, a former co-worker who was in an accident in a bank parking lot a few years ago. It was payday and with her husband driving their van, they swung into the drive-up line to deposit her check. She unlatched her seatbelt while they were still moving as she reached for her purse on the floor.

At that moment a car came flying out of the lot toward them, striking the van on the front passenger's side. They never saw it coming. The belted-in husband was only slightly injured, but the wife was thrown into the dash at an odd angle and very nearly killed. For almost twenty years she has been confined to a wheelchair, a functional quadriplegic. She had only unlatched the belt a second before they were struck, but that one second changed their lives dramatically.

I get reminded of this whenever I start packing out of the driveway while hooking up my seatbelt. Freak accidents do happen - even on the shortest trips. If it's a choice of having the seatbelt reminder or myself disabled, there's only one choice.
Old 01-03-08 | 04:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the info also, i do wear my seatbelt, but im just glad that the noise is gone, my mom and dad didn't know why it stopped making that noise, i didn't tell them, lol but they are glad it's gone, but i do wear my seatbelt
Old 01-03-08 | 06:59 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Talking

Seat belts are compulsory in Australia and I must confess that I find it uncomfortable to drive without them. Equally, in Australia we don't get the annoying buzzers and other audible reminders that seem to pervade all brands of US cars. I understand why the car makers include them as the US is incredibly litigious but they are incredibly frustrating to responsible individuals with a modicum of intelligence.

It's the one thing that drives me crazy whenever I drive a car in the US (aside from driving on the right hand side of the road)
Old 01-03-08 | 11:56 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

at least it goes away unlike some american cars that will start beeping right when you turn the car on, even say if you are just warming it up or sitting in the car with the engine running and not drving.
Old 01-04-08 | 06:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
at least it goes away unlike some american cars that will start beeping right when you turn the car on, even say if you are just warming it up or sitting in the car with the engine running and not drving.
Thats in case a car T-bone you in your driveway
Old 01-04-08 | 10:10 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Disable Seatbelt Warning

I disabled my seat belt warning. I always use my seatbelt. It doesnt matter how many feet I go. But I got tired of hearing the noise. When I would put anything like my laptop on the front seat.
Old 01-07-08 | 11:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Dont you know you are not suppose to put your laptop in the front seat as it becomes a flying object when you are in a accident.
Old 01-08-08 | 12:10 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Disable Seatbelt Warning

Thats ok. I will take that chance. I like to live life on the edge.
Old 01-08-08 | 01:22 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thats in case a car T-bone you in your driveway
haha or in your garage.
Old 01-12-08 | 02:17 PM
croach
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great info, it worked for me like a charm, even though I still always wear my seat belt.

However, I can not get the door lock settings to change using the procedure in the manual, putting it in park and N and hitting the lock button, etc. Anyone have luck with this?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Disabling the audible seatbelt reminder?