RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Possible VSC button?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 02:56 PM
CX889
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biff44
BTW, when you installed the button how did you connect the wiring to it. Did you cut into a wire and connect it to the button? Was there a multipin connector there already to hook up the button to?
thanks for some insight biff44 Refer to your previous post I gotta wait until the upcoming snow day in order to tell you the result.
I first thought it might related to circuit breaker but didn't find anything on that. You could be right, they might disable the light on dashboard since they didn't install the button. But will they literally remove the TRAC OFF illumination on the dash? Or is there a way to enable the illumination?
Originally, the 2 pin connector and the blank button to cover the connector are all there if you can still see the photo I took on the first post. I just replaced the blank button and got the TRAC button and insert it to the connector to become the switch. I crawl underneath on the driver side. I found the same color wiring plug into the connector into the fusebox. However, since I dunno how to remove the whole bottom piece of the panel so I can't tell if the whole wiring is connected.

EDIT.... Dunno if this piece of information helps but usually before u start the engine, there is a few seconds where all sorts of warning lights will be on, I had the VSC on but the TRAC remains off. But on my gen4 camry the TRAC lights came on. So would it be turn on too on RX?

Last edited by CX889; 01-11-08 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

vsc is a very sophisticated system, it involves a lot of sensors, circuitry, and most important a main brain. it's not just a bunch of wires put together and that's it.

and knowing lexus, even if you see one wire here, i highly doubt it has all the sensors and the brain all installed, basically only missing one button. they are not that stupid. the fact that when you put the car on ACC/ON and the trac off doesn't even light up, that very much means nothing is hooked up there, and probably means no vsc system at all on your car.

for examples, 2nd gen gs without hid headlights. putting in the hid headlights (factory) won't get your autoleveling, coz' all sensors are missing, even if you give power to the computer
Old 01-13-08, 04:50 PM
CX889
Rookie

well in my case only VSC light up so that means no TRAC is activated then? oops... got the button for nothing ><
Old 01-15-08, 07:15 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CX889
well in my case only VSC light up so that means no TRAC is activated then? oops... got the button for nothing ><
Unfortunately Lexus has not yet developed the "plug-n-play" feature. Simply adding a "missing" button won't install the feature. Putting a channel selector on your nav screen won't bring in TV stations, either.

Rather than develop multiple wiring harnesses, the RX like practically all mass produced cars shares its wiring with other units that may or may not have a specific option. You could probably find connections somewhere for every option in the catalog, but installing the switch is just the beginning of the modification. You already have a far better solution in place - AWD. Adding VSC would REALLY mess you up.

VSC is used on the FWD models to limit wheelspin, particularly in slippery conditions. It is pretty unsophisticated, but it does work, after a fashion. By using the ABS system to apply the brake at close intervals to a wheel turning significantly faster than the others, it can help direct power to the wheel with traction. This is the Fred Flintstone approach, in my book, and produces brake hammering and steering wheel ****** sufficient to get the driver's attention and say, "Hey, STOP that!".

The AWD, particularly in the '99-'00 RX 300 and the latest RX 350's uses a center viscous coupling to redirect power smoothly from front to rear because it is front-biased. If either front wheel is turning significantly faster than the rest, the coupling gradually begins to direct that excess power to the rear wheels until that wheelspin stops. The result is a smooth, undetectable flow of torque from the wheels having the least grip to those with grip to spare.

The difference between the two methods is dramatic. One definitely gets your attention, the other you may never notice. My '00 RX 300 had LSD (limited slip differential, for you children of the '60's), as did most AWD's of that vintage. The transition to a FWD RX330 with VSC was a little tough to take - considerably more torque, and half the places to send it.

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-15-08 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 06:57 AM
myspouses
Driver School Candidate

When the changes for 2008 were announced after just a few months of ownership my wife's RX350 2007 model, I checked out "VSC OFF" button that had been added. My 2006 Acura TL already had this industry standard and it's main purpose is for when all wheels start slipping (like caught in big snowdrift across a highway here on east side of Lake Huron where weather fronts/winds more severe than past.) and you are attempting to free car by say "rocking" the vehicle. The brain of VSC shuts down power and your stuck. By utilizing "VSC OFF" button, you can rock vehicle free with full use of accelerator. Ask in dealership for someone to show this button to you curious people who either did not know they had one (2008, 2009 models)
or like me don't have one. As I recall, removing Fuse #5 accomplishes same thing with no repercussions and I have discussed this with a Service Manager.
Old 02-22-08, 10:26 PM
CX889
Rookie

Originally Posted by myspouses
When the changes for 2008 were announced after just a few months of ownership my wife's RX350 2007 model, I checked out "VSC OFF" button that had been added. My 2006 Acura TL already had this industry standard and it's main purpose is for when all wheels start slipping (like caught in big snowdrift across a highway here on east side of Lake Huron where weather fronts/winds more severe than past.) and you are attempting to free car by say "rocking" the vehicle. The brain of VSC shuts down power and your stuck. By utilizing "VSC OFF" button, you can rock vehicle free with full use of accelerator. Ask in dealership for someone to show this button to you curious people who either did not know they had one (2008, 2009 models)
or like me don't have one. As I recall, removing Fuse #5 accomplishes same thing with no repercussions and I have discussed this with a Service Manager.
Worth a try to remove fuse #5. By the way, what is fuse #5 about? Traction control?