RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Blue Tooth Interference

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 06:39 AM
Dave_S.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Tooth Interference

Has anyone else experienced bad radio interference when using the Lexus blue tooth phone with your cell phone? I've tired two different phones with mine and it usually has some nasty interference that can be heard only from the person on the other end of the line. It seems to help slightly if I move the phone around to different locations in the car. This is in a 2007 RX350.
I called my dealer and they indicated this is not a common problem.

Last edited by Dave_S.; 12-27-07 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-27-07, 05:31 PM
paulsmits1
Driver School Candidate

Default Paul Smits

I had a similar problem. Reported it to the dealer and had him experience it first hand (by calling his office phone from the RX using bluetooth and my cell). Dealer replaced the microphone and now it is excellent.
Old 12-27-07, 08:01 PM
vasylko
Driver School Candidate

I have 08 RX and have been calling/receiving calls from my car numerous time and have not heard about bad quality from both receiving party as well as me listening or talking. Maybe this is isolated issue and you should take it up to dealer like "paulsmits1" did.
Old 12-27-07, 08:08 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dave_S.
Has anyone else experienced bad radio interference when using the Lexus blue tooth phone with your cell phone? I've tired two different phones with mine and it usually has some nasty interference that can be heard only from the person on the other end of the line. It seems to help slightly if I move the phone around to different locations in the car. This is in a 2007 RX350.
I called my dealer and they indicated this is not a common problem.

There is TSB for this issue, TSB clearly states that:
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.

Technical Service
Information Bulletin
June 6, 2007
EL007-07
Some customers may experience distortion on the receiving end of the call when using the “Handsfree” function. An improved microphone has been developed to correct this condition. Use the following repair procedure to remove and replace the microphone.
EL7013 R & R Microphone Amplifier 0.4 86290–48010 76 71
Applicable Warranty*:This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
Old 12-27-07, 09:33 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Im wondering if the 08's have this great new microphone?

What years do the TSB call out for the microphone?
Old 12-27-07, 09:54 PM
Crystal_RX
Driver

I have 07 RX350 and I have been using the bluetooth function for a year now. So far, I don't have this issue.
Old 12-28-07, 06:15 AM
Dave_S.
Rookie

Thanks for the replies and the excellent info regarding the TSB.

Dave S.
Old 12-28-07, 08:55 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dave_S.
Thanks for the replies and the excellent info regarding the TSB.

Dave S.
Please let us know how it goes, if this dealer does not acknowledge the problem show them the TSB# or go to another dealer.
Old 12-28-07, 08:56 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Booyah
Im wondering if the 08's have this great new microphone?

What years do the TSB call out for the microphone?
Originally Posted by Crystal_RX
I have 07 RX350 and I have been using the bluetooth function for a year now. So far, I don't have this issue.

This for some 07 RX350's only. It has been fixed and 08's should have this new improved microphone.

That is why the TSB says:* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
Old 12-29-07, 01:17 PM
Dave_S.
Rookie

Thanks Sama. My dealer (Stevenson Lexus in Golden, CO) has been excellent to work with on this car and our last Lexus ES300. I expect no problem working with them.
Unfortunately I have had the experience too often with this 07 RX350. First the hatch back rattle from the cargo cover - which had a reasonable fix available,
then the Nav System got confused and had to have a new software disc loaded, then the sound system completely locked up and the head unit had to be replaced, (took about 4 weeks to get my CD's back).
This bluetooth problem has been there since the first day, I just never reported it before. We'll bring the car in next week and see what happens. I now understand why this model has been dropped from the Consumer Reports recommend buy list.

At least none of the problems have re-occurred once fixed , but it is a little disappointing to have these types of issues in the first place. This is one of the reasons I sold my Grand Cherokee and came back to Lexus.

My wife and I both still really like the car though, and the dealer has really treated us well in fixing these issues and providing loaner cars for us in attempts to make the issues as non-disruptive to us as possible.
Old 12-29-07, 07:48 PM
Crystal_RX
Driver

Dave, I also have 07 RX350 which I took delivery back in Aug 2006. Since that date, I had not have a single issue with it. Just 2 weeks ago, there was rattling noise came from front driver door panel, I took it in and lexus took care of it. RX is a wonderful vehicle in my mind.
Old 01-05-08, 04:17 PM
Dave_S.
Rookie

Went to the dealer today - The dealership is convinced that all three of my phones are defective and I simply need to buy another one.
I have a Motorola Razor, another Motorola, similar electronics to the Razor but in a different package and a new Blackberry all have the buzzing, humming static problem through the microphone (heard by the person on the other end of the call) when paired with the car, but all three work fine with other bluetooth handsfree devices ( I have 5 headsets and they all work fine-even when used in the car).
The Lexus technician paired his phone to my car and it seemed fine. I paired one of my phones to the car immediately after and it is back. If I hadn't personally made a call on the technicians phone to my wife, who said it was fine on her end, I wouldn't believe it.
So it appears the bluetooth works with no static with the technicians Motorola phone but not with any of my phones.
I have to ask again is anyone on this forum has had a similar experience and what the fix was?
I'll buy another phone, but I have no confidence it will work with this car.

I have found other posts on this subject that describe the EXACT same problem I am having, so I know it is not just my car with this problem:

Here is an example:
Does anyone have an issue with the person on the receiving end of calls getting static, humming sound and volume in/out?
Vehicle is RX 400h 2007, Nav/ML package. Phone is T-Mobile Motorola RAZR V3. I have no issues with the sound quality for the incoming call. I've accessed the sub Menu (HOLD INFO BUTTON & PARKING LIGHTS ON/OFF 5 TIMES) and adjusted the receiving/sending sound level and the quality type? Does anyone have any literature on this sub-menu? What values default values should be here? Mine are all blank? Took vehicle back to dealer, they blamed it on phone. Updated software for phone and no improvement IS IT THE PHONE OR LEXUS BLUETOOTH?

Another Example:
I leased a 2008 RX 350 this spring and there have been constant problems with the bluetooth feature. The people I speak with hear terrible static and interference - My side is fine. The dealer has tried 4 times to fix it - the first time, they must just literally have looked at it because nothwithstanding my request that they do so, the did not contact Lexus. Then, they replaced a part - but unfortunately for me, the wrong part. Then they replaced the mike but apparently, Lexus now has issued two new mikes and they had to change the first new one for the second. I hear that Lexus is well aware that the bluetooth is not working properly. Has anyone else had this problem - has anyone had this fixed. I am ready to use an installed bluetooth car kit.

Another one:
anyone had electrical interference on their bluetooth h/f connection. I had a motorola phone (L2) and the dealer told me that his non motorola phone worked fine. I just changd to a samsung blackjack and that seems to have improve a little, but people still say that it is like a bolt of lightning is zapping them at times. I think it is when the battery is getting charged from the engine (car battery not phone) and the EMF's are not shielded

Also people describe it as sounding underwater... my other friends have lexus cars (non hybrid) and have clear as a bell sound..

Anyone help please?

And another:
Does anyone experience interference on the use of bluetooth in the car? People who listen to me in the car report a buzzing sound whenever the car is in regeneration mode and other instances.
Tony

Dave
Old 01-05-08, 04:35 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go to a couple of your friends to see if you can try there phone? Or just insist to Lexus you want another mike--they should replace it for you, talk to the head setvice manager dude....
Old 01-05-08, 04:54 PM
Dave_S.
Rookie

In poking around on line for a solution I came across these instructions:
Turn Ignition "on"
Press Info button and hold while you turn the headlights on and off 4 times
A menu appears. Click the menu button and go to Bluetooth settings and adjust the voice quality setting up to 3 from 0. I tried this and it did not effect my problem.

I also see there is a sound quality type setting that is defaulted to "00" and says refer to service manual. The system lets you enter a 2-digit setting for this, so I tried 01 and it didn't seem to want to pair with my phone any longer so I set it back. Anyone have any insight as to what this setting is for?
Dave

Last edited by Dave_S.; 01-05-08 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 05:29 PM
Dave_S.
Rookie

I also saw a post somewhere saying a person had gotten their Bluetooth reset because of static. Anyone know how to reset the Bluetooth in an 07 RX350? Sorry for all the posts, but this is driving my crazy.
My wife also had a good suggestion that I go back to the dealer and pair my phone with another car on their lot and make a call to see if it also has the problem or not. This would confirm if it is or is not related to the car.

Last edited by Dave_S.; 01-05-08 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Blue Tooth Interference