RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

1 week battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 07:30 PM
Liphotoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flabbergasted at what I am hearing here from that Dealer!
I have a new RX350 with under 1000 miles. I'm soon going away for 2 weeks, and now concerned that it won't start when I get back. I've left many cars fr 2 - 3 weeks & they started right up. Can't believe the RX350 could actually have a problem with that.
Old 08-22-08, 08:29 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

What a lame response even from corporate. Something is not right with them (Lexus HQ). Out of curiosity, I measured the draw from my 05 RX330. Unfortunately, I could not maintain the contacts as I lifted off the battery clamp, so it lost power. Once the circuit was complete again, with meter in line, there was an initial 450 mA draw for a few seconds, then settled down to 300 mA. Stayed that way for about 30 seconds then I got tired and put it back together. I went on a trip recently for a week and no issues with starting the car. Regards
Old 08-22-08, 09:28 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that cannot be normal and it isn't the battery. somebody said it earlier, there is a draw that shouldn't be there. if you have an option try another dealer. if you haven't given up on the car already. if your wife has had it, get rid of it. happy wife, happy life.
Old 08-23-08, 05:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Liphotoman
I am flabbergasted at what I am hearing here from that Dealer!
I have a new RX350 with under 1000 miles. I'm soon going away for 2 weeks, and now concerned that it won't start when I get back. I've left many cars fr 2 - 3 weeks & they started right up. Can't believe the RX350 could actually have a problem with that.

If it makes you feel better spend $50 for a Battery Tender.An easy one minute istall on and off.
My GS is strickly a pleasure ride vehicle and may sit one,two weeks or more at a time.
I just leave a Battery Tender on it which keep the battery at full charge.
Batteries that sit lose about 1-3% of power per day.When the battery power constantly drops and get charged back up,the battery life is shortened due to some chemical reaction to the plates.
The OP's one week drain is a problem draw somewhere.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-23-08 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-24-08, 07:38 AM
Tedc123
Driver School Candidate

The only problem with a trickle charger/battery tender is we cannot plug in anywhere when we go to the airport. As of now, we cannot take the Lexus to the airport and will have to remember to either disconnect the battery or hook up a charger anytime we are out of town.

Still cannot believe this is "normal" or "acceptable". I'm sure there has to be an excessive current draw and am amazed that a company that is supposedly known for their quality is not fixing this problem.
Old 08-24-08, 08:29 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

This is not normal as you already know. I have left mine at the airport 3 times for at least a week each time with no problem at all starting. The dealer should be trouble shooting this problem. If you have a clamp on amp meter you can do this yourself and then tell the dealer what to fix. With a clamp on amp meter on the battery lead (either one) read the Amps. Record this value and then start removing the smaller fuses one at a time and look for the one that drops the majority of the load. Keep a list of the fuses that you have removed and put back with the amount of amperage that dropped.
I am assuming that you have been in your RX at night with every thing off and made sure that a light is not on some where in the rear cargo area or the glove box.
Jeff
Old 08-24-08, 12:31 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Clearly, this is not normal behavior for any automobile. Many of us here own Lexus vehicles and travel extensively. I've left my RX at the airport for as long as three weeks and it started right up when I returned. Simply put, your vehicle is not performing as designed.

Here is all the information in the owners manual suppliment you should need to seek redress.

Both Lexus and your Lexus dealer are dedicated to serving your automotive needs. Your complete satisfaction is our first priority. Should you have a problem or concern, please take the following steps to ensure the quickest possible response:

Step 1
Discuss the situation with a dealership manager, such as the service manager or customer satisfaction manager. If necessary, ask the dealership owner or general manager for assistance. In most cases, a satisfactory solution can be reached at this step.

Step 2
If the dealership does not address your concern to your satisfaction, call the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at (800)25-LEXUS (800/255-3987).

You may also write to us at:
Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department
P.O. Box 2991
Torrance, CA 90509-2991
Whether calling or writing, please provide the following information:

Vehicle identification Number (located on the driver’s side corner of the dashboard, under the window)

Current vehicle mileage

Name of your selling and servicing Lexus dealership(s)

Your day and evening telephone numbers.

Step 3
If your concern has still not been resolved to your satisfaction, Lexus offers additional assistance through BBB AUTO LINE, a dispute resolution program administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. The purpose of BBB AUTO LINE is to resolve disputes through arbitration — a process by which two parties authorize an independent third party to hear and resolve a dispute. The program is informal and free of charge. To request that your case be reviewed through the program, contact:
BBB AUTO LINE
4200 Wilson Blvd., Suite 800
Arlington, VA 22203
(800)955-5100

Important: You must use BBB AUTO LINE before seeking remedies through a court action pursuant to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You may also be
required to use BBB AUTO LINE before seeking remedies under the “Lemon Laws” of your state. For the requirements applicable to your state, see the appropriate page of the Owner’s Manual Supplement – Lemon Law Information booklet located in your glove box.
Old 08-24-08, 03:26 PM
Tedc123
Driver School Candidate

Great tips. Thanks jgr7 I will look to make sure there is no "hidden" light on in the night time. Also, if our Lexus dealer will not do their job I will have to wire my amp meter in line to see which fuse is the "guilty" party.

jfelbab. I've contacted the dealership and the 800 number. Have not asked for the service manager or owner, but will do so next. Really appreciate BBB address and Lexus address. We are not just going to accept that it is acceptable for there to be a dead battery in 3 days. The dealership acts like we are crazy and we should understand that because the car has a DVD player and navigation system it is OK for the battery to drain.
Old 08-24-08, 05:18 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Tedc123
Great tips. Thanks jgr7 I will look to make sure there is no "hidden" light on in the night time. Also, if our Lexus dealer will not do their job I will have to wire my amp meter in line to see which fuse is the "guilty" party.

jfelbab. I've contacted the dealership and the 800 number. Have not asked for the service manager or owner, but will do so next. Really appreciate BBB address and Lexus address. We are not just going to accept that it is acceptable for there to be a dead battery in 3 days. The dealership acts like we are crazy and we should understand that because the car has a DVD player and navigation system it is OK for the battery to drain.
FWIW, my RX has these options as well and like I mentioned I've left my RX at the airport for as long as three weeks in the dead of winter (5-20°F Temps) and it started right up. There is an issue with your vehicle and it appears your dealer is not to be trusted.
Old 08-24-08, 06:53 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Again out of curiosity measured the current draw, this time a little more carefully as not to disconnect and have the computer etc reset, and the car had sat for over an hour....40 mA. This actually seems quite small but that's what my old meter (not digital) shows. I also have Nav, but no DVD.
Regards
Old 08-25-08, 05:17 PM
LEXEHAM
Driver School Candidate

FWIW, I read in a Honda forum,that if you had a dead battery to check the A/C clutch. The problem was there were contacts that were sticking causing a drain. I recently left our 05 330 fro more than a week and it started up right away. I was concerned that it wouldn't after reading this thread some time ago.
Old 08-25-08, 05:48 PM
jfelbab

I don't know if you saw this regarding the "Auto Headlight" feature... on page 53 of my owners manual there is this statement.
If you are going to park for over one week, make sure the headlight switch is off.
It may well be that this feature draws unusual amounts of power at times.
Old 08-25-08, 06:02 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I always leave my headlight switch on auto, never had a problem.
Old 08-25-08, 10:02 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get one of those digital voltmeters that plug into the cigarette lighter socket...oops I mean 12V outlet. I have one plugged into the floor outlet--I just leave it there.

With the engine running the system voltage should be regulated to about 13.8 to 14.2 or so, with variations due to varying load and engine speed. This is a temperature compensated voltage--higher when it's cold, less when it's warm, due to the fact that the battery is a chemical device and chemical reactions take place more readily at higher temps. Thus, auto voltages are designed to be higher when a battery is harder to charge in the cold.

I disagree with whoever said a car cannot fully charge a battery. When the voltages described above are applied to a lead-acid battery it will be charged properly. A discharged battery will absorb lots of current when such voltage is applied (and the alternator or battery charger will have to "work" harder to provide it). A fully charged battery will absorb much smaller current when the same voltage is applied...basically just taking a trickle charge.

That makes keeping a battery fully charged very easy as the electrical system doesn't need to know the battery's own voltage (nor could this be sensed during charging), nor how much current goes in or comes out and certainly not the actual chemical state in the cells. All it has to do is apply the 13.8-14.2 (temperature compensated) volts and the battery, if it's in good condition, will be maintained at full charge.

As to the question at hand, I don't know if .3A is an excessive parasitic draw but certainly the voltage should be checked to see if the car is keeping the battery properly charged.