RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlamp Washers Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 12:54 PM
fud
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp Washers Issues

Does anyone have problems with the headlamp washers? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I was in Tahoe for New Years and didn't work when needed...
Old 01-04-08, 01:33 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Were your headlights on?
Old 01-04-08, 02:03 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fud
Does anyone have problems with the headlamp washers? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I was in Tahoe for New Years and didn't work when needed...
Was there water/washing fluid in the washer jar. If there was water it was most likely frozen since this happened in Tahoe.

Otherwise I would take it to the dealer to check the Headlight cleaner motor or relay circuit
Old 01-04-08, 02:48 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When you pull the wiper/washer stick toward you to wash the windshield, if the headlights are on (or in automatic after dark) the headlight washers will do their thing. Otherwise to engage the headlight washers only, you have to push that little button ahead of the gear selector next to the heated seat switches.

Since I'm not in snow and slush very often down here in the Texas tropics, I really don't need those headlight washers - they just came with the (what I consider mandatory) heated seats. Because I'm not often a mud-bogger, I don't often need to wash my headlights, but pulling the lever after dark usually make me smack my head as it can totally screw up a good wash job by spraying the lights, hood and sometimes the windshield with washer fluid.

Wish Lexus would disconnect that interlocked control - and let me choose whether to wash my headlights or not.
Old 01-04-08, 03:40 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X
When you pull the wiper/washer stick toward you to wash the windshield, if the headlights are on (or in automatic after dark) the headlight washers will do their thing. Otherwise to engage the headlight washers only, you have to push that little button ahead of the gear selector next to the heated seat switches.
Hmmm, wonder what year we are talking about? In my '05 330, the ONLY way to make the headlight washer come on is to:

1. have the headlights on
2. push the button on the lower, center dash between the seat warmer buttons.

Is yours different in that they come on with the activation of the windshield washer? On my new BMW 3 series, the headlight washers wash after every 7-10 activations of the windshiedl washer. I have heard different numbers, thus the variance.
Old 01-04-08, 03:42 PM
grouch
Driver

Originally Posted by fud
Mine didn't work until I filled the WW washer fluid container back up with almost a gallon of fluid. The WW washers worked fine. SO, my guess is that maybe there are two different feed tubes so the headlight washers don't run you out of fluid.........Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-04-08, 11:20 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Hmmm, wonder what year we are talking about? In my '05 330, the ONLY way to make the headlight washer come on is to:

2. push the button on the lower, center dash between the seat warmer buttons.

Is yours different in that they come on with the activation of the windshield washer? On my new BMW 3 series, the headlight washers wash after every 7-10 activations of the windshiedl washer. I have heard different numbers, thus the variance.
The headlight washers on my '04 RX 330 (April '03 build) spray when the headlights are on and I pull the windshield washer stalk. They can also be operated independently at any time by pushing that button just forward of the shifter, beside the seat warmer rotary switches.
Old 01-04-08, 11:40 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The headlight washers on my '04 RX 330 (April '03 build) spray when the headlights are on and I pull the windshield washer stalk. They can also be operated independently at any time by pushing that button just forward of the shifter, beside the seat warmer rotary switches.

Yep thats the only way!!! if your lights are OFF and you clean your windshield the headlamp washer will NOT spray--But if lights are ON and you wash the windshield they will Spray!!
OR push the button as stated above at any time
Old 01-05-08, 03:54 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Booyah
Yep thats the only way!!! if your lights are OFF and you clean your windshield the headlamp washer will NOT spray--But if lights are ON and you wash the windshield they will Spray!!
OR push the button as stated above at any time
Wow. That is a huge change from the observed operation in my '05. I wonder why they changed? Anyone with an '06 care to share how theirs works?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-05-08, 03:03 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

How does yours work then?
Old 01-05-08, 03:21 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Booyah
How does yours work then?
Uhm, what I initially wrote when I responded?

"In my '05 330, the ONLY way to make the headlight washer come on is to:

2. push the button on the lower, center dash between the seat warmer buttons."

I have had my car for three years, actually read the owner's novel (sorry, manual) and know it pretty well. That is why I am surprised at the difference between the '04 and '05.
Gary
Old 01-05-08, 04:06 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

SO If your lights are on and you pull to clean the windshield your washers do not come on? They should My 04 did as well as the 08

Last edited by Booyah; 01-05-08 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 04:07 PM
fud
Rookie

Thanks guys! I think that b/c my lights were on "auto" so it may not be on when I test it since it is during the day time. Now its working fine! I just thought that it would work since the windshield one works when you press on it at anytime.
Old 01-05-08, 04:19 PM
CTtech
Driver School Candidate

Pardon my ignorance, but is it the same on the 08? I was unaware the headlight washers were able to be activated by any means other than the manual switch on the dash. If driving with the lights in auto mode, but they are on due to darkness, if I pull the wiper stalk back to cleanse the windshield, the headlight washers come on? I haven't had the vehicle long and have yet tried or needed to try to operate the headlight washers, knowingly.
Thanks,
Old 01-05-08, 04:32 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Yep the headlights will get a wash too

Quick Reply: Headlamp Washers Issues