RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What made you decide to buy a Lexus RX330/350

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 02:32 PM
CTtech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We purchased our previous vehicle new (99 Grand Cherokee) for it's versatility in cargo room and all wheel drive. We have a large Golden Retriever who is now 9 and he was also a big consideration for the step up to an SUV size vehicle at the time. This time around , now with a 3 year old along with our first son, our pup Samson, it had to be another SUV style vehicle again. The RX was even better in this aspect as it is slightly lower to the ground allowing Samson to get in and out more easily. We had test driven the new Grand Cherokee, the Honda Pilot, the Volvo XC90, the Saab 9-7X and finally, of course, the RX350. There was no real comparison. The Jeep lacked comfort and reliability ratings, even though we had great luck with the previous model I was uneasy with resent ratings, the Honda was surprisingly comfortable and had good ratings for reliability but some annoying wind noise I just couldn't get over, and both the Saab and the Volvo's, even with the 8 cylinder, although very comfortable to ride in, lacked power from the a dead stop, and when getting onto the highway, they both made a lot of noise and didn't really start going until the RPMs were much higher. With a coworker having an RX330 and loving it, we decided to check out the RX350. Right off the bat we were impressed with all of the little things they added. From the integrated seat belt height adjusters, the three way split rear seats, which slid and reclined, the auto open/close rear door with multiple safety sensors, and even the fact all 4 windows and the sunroof were all one touch up and down. Then there was the newly improved 270HP power plant. This was much more responsive than any of the other vehicles we had test driven with the exception of the Jeep with the Hemi.
My 2 Cents, Love my RX,
CTtech
Old 01-09-08, 04:47 PM
banjo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DogLady
For those who have already purchaed a Lexus RX 330 or 350 - I'd like to get some feedback on why you chose the Lexus over other cars such as BMW, Acura or anything really. Thanks!!
I bought a 08 RX 350 loaded because we like it better than any of the other small suv's..We have owned all most every make vehicle over the past 40 years and this by far is the best..The transmission does act up some but I have not seen that to be a big problem....My 03 Lincoln Navigator was much worse..This RX 350 gets great milage and handles very well..We have over 5000 miles on it and love it..Black on Black
Old 01-09-08, 11:25 PM
kidfuture
Driver School Candidate

I sell real estate in Branson, Missouri and needed something roomy, AWD with decent gas mileage. My last vehicle was a Toyota so I thought I'd check out a Lexus.

What turned me onto the RX was the quiet ride, enhanced technology and that it will dust my friend's BMW X5 off the line.
Old 01-10-08, 07:02 AM
DogLady
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for posting your responses - CTTech - as I am the DogLady I just loved it that you took into consideration your dog when making your decision about a new car.
Old 01-10-08, 01:21 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We leased our first RX 300 in '00 after many years of Suburbans, Travelalls, and even large station wagons I need for my business. The RX represented a big change from the glorified pickup trucks that I had become used to. It was smooth, quiet, and much more poised on the road.

We've since turned in the lease car and purchased an RX 330, and enjoyed an extra helping of all the good things about the 300.

While not nearly the trailbuster the Suburbans were, the RX package is a competent soft-roader, it easily swallows all my gear*, and best of all it is the consummate highway cruiser. Remote jobs I used to fly to are now handled with much more ease with a roadtrip - and at lower cost and without the combat fatigue that is now a part of the airline experience.

The ride and handling is superior to a van, and even our youngest - the 8-lb furball who does NOT usually travel well, can snooze peacefully on a lap or pop into her carrier wrapped in her blankets for some serious Z's. The smoothness and silence is soothing to all of us, but particularly for a furry uneasy rider, it is a blessing.

* Link to photo and explanation of typical travel configuration.
Old 01-10-08, 01:36 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

We leased our first RX 300 in '00 after many years of Suburbans, Travelalls, and even large station wagons I need for my business. The RX represented a big change from the glorified pickup trucks that I had become used to. It was smooth, quiet, and much more poised on the road.

We've since turned in the lease car and purchased an RX 330, and enjoyed an extra helping of all the good things about the 300.

While not nearly the trailbuster the Suburbans were, the RX package is a competent soft-roader, it easily swallows all my gear*, and best of all it is the consummate highway cruiser. Remote jobs I used to fly to are now handled with much more ease with a roadtrip - and at lower cost and without the combat fatigue that is now a part of the airline experience.

The ride and handling is superior to a van, and even our youngest - the 8-lb furball who does NOT usually travel well, can snooze peacefully on a lap or pop into her carrier wrapped in her blankets for some serious Z's. The smoothness and silence is soothing to all of us, but particularly for a furry uneasy rider, it is a blessing.

* Link to photo and explanation of typical travel configuration.

what is it that you do? btw the color of your car blends in nicely with the dirt...lol
Old 01-12-08, 08:03 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
what is it that you do? btw the color of your car blends in nicely with the dirt...lol
We have a little company that produces industrial videos for websites and DVDs - primarily for business-to-business sales. A large portion of our customers are in the oil business. Here's a little more descriptive shot on the same location:

And yes, I chose the color for its ability to blend with the dirt. After nearly two full days on location, the RX was actually covered in mud and dust in this shot - it just doesn't show much.
Old 01-13-08, 04:07 AM
bmparis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javanutsy
Wanted a nice, upscale car for the wife that can double with carrying more cargo then a sedan. Since this would be a daily driver for her, reliability was high on the list. And since we don't have unlimited budget, value is important as well. The RX met these objectives nicely.
This fits my answer PERFECTLY! My wife was really into the Murano and wanted the new one, we compared the price of a fully loaded Murano to the price of the 04 RX that we have now, and the prices were pretty much the same. Why buy a Nissan when you can have a Lexus for the same $$?
Old 01-13-08, 04:04 PM
TAP4636
Rookie

Originally Posted by DogLady
For those who have already purchaed a Lexus RX 330 or 350 - I'd like to get some feedback on why you chose the Lexus over other cars such as BMW, Acura or anything really. Thanks!!
My mom bought the RX350, and I have an IS250. The answer is clear. Lexus is the best! Service, and they make a superior product.
Old 01-13-08, 04:59 PM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had 2 Acura MDXs (2001 & 2005) and my wife has a Lexus SC 430. The way the Lexus service departments treat you is sooo much better than the Acura dealer, that when I was ready for a new SUV, I didn't even go back to Acura. I had driven several RX (both 400h and 350s) as loaners when having the SC serviced, and when I was ready for an new SUV, I went right to Lexus and traded my MDX for a RX 400h. It is a little smaller inside (especially in the cargo area), but I don't really need the room. I have had my RX for 3 weeks now, and I love it - I would definitely buy it again!
Old 01-15-08, 04:48 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I gotta say, I own an 07 ES350 which has been a disappointment. It is in the shop now (again), and I have an RX350 loaner. VERY IMPRESSED!! Might be shopping for one soon. I love it!
Old 01-27-08, 07:19 PM
ralphj
Driver School Candidate

1994 Cadillac STS-fast, luxurious, but not very well put together.
1998 Volvo-------good car, but too many trips to the dealership to correct simple stuff.
2004 Lexus RX 330 December 2004-------to present.
We bought this car almost by accident. My wife drove the GS, but didn't like the body style. We drove another Volvo, but it looked and felt the same and she wanted a change.
I wanted the LS so my wife drove the LS430 and loved it, but admitted it was a large vehicle. Walking away from the LS we walked through the showroom. She saw the RX. She asked the sales person if she could drive "that". She drove the RX about 10 miles and loved it. I was surprised because we no longer have any children and I have access to a truck when we need to haul something. We had not considered an SUV, because I was pushing for the LS. Quiet; tall seating; good visibility; nice controls and luxurious interior; room to haul stuff;
We now have over 50,000 miles and have been very pleased with the RX and the treatment at the dealership.

I replied to another one of your posts about the next generation. I thought the new body style was being released this spring (08). From reading other posts I now think they are right and I am wrong. I guess we will wait another year for the next generation. My goal this time around was an LS (just like last time), but after reading many posts regarding snow operation, I can't take the chance with the LS in snow.
ralphj
Old 01-29-08, 12:04 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
I gotta say, I own an 07 ES350 which has been a disappointment. It is in the shop now (again), and I have an RX350 loaner. VERY IMPRESSED!! Might be shopping for one soon. I love it!
i dont know what problems you are having with your es350, but im willing to guess they might be similar to the ones many RX models are having.
Old 03-22-08, 06:54 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

This is my third SUV since 1980. Hauling dogs, hunting and fishing gear is why I drive an SUV. My first was a 1980 K5 Chevy Blazer. A bare bones SUV that was very rugged for off road use with the proper tires but the gas mileage was terrible, 12-14 mpg whether you were fully loaded or not. Drove it for 12 years and the next SUV was a 1992 Ford Explorer. Got decent gas mileage but was way underpowered. Went through 3 transmissions and sold it when I bought my 2008 RX 350 AWD. The Ford also had a lot if repair issues in the 16 years I drove it although I only had 126K miles on it. I bought the Lexus because I have owned an 1995 ES300, still have a 2005 ES350 and know that Lexus builds very dependable automobiles. I was looking at the Toyota Highlander but after my wife said I should consider the Lexus I am glad I listened to her. The RX is a joy to drive, looks good and you can't beat the way Lexus treats it's customers. I also own a BMW and the Lexus waiting room is first class. Don't even get me started about the Ford waiting room. Kind of like comparing a Motel 6 with Waldorf Astoria So far the RX 350 has been everything I expected but I do have a small irritating rattle in the front dash area that a lot of people don't hear unless they really listen with the radio/CD player turned off.I am confident that my Lexus dealer will take care of this for me when I decide to take it in (probably when I take it in for my free 5000 mile oil change and inspection). They will give me a loaner car when I schedule it. The Lexus has a better warranty than the Highlander and I just love the ride of the RX. The only other SUV I considered was the BMW X3 but when you consider the same options on a Lexus and BMW the Lexus is way cheaper and in my opinion a lot more reliable.
Old 03-22-08, 07:16 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I was bored driving large vans and large suvs. I still needed either 4 wheel or awd for travelling long distances in the snow. I have had dismal luck with my last 3 GM products, so they were off the list for good. It was a tossup between the BMW, RX350, and the Subarus. The Subarus had no ground clearance and looked like a spud with wheels, so it was out. The BMW, during my test drive, simply did not accelerate all that well. I figured I would need to get the X5 with the biggest engine available to satisfy my driving style, and that pushed it way over the price of a tricked out RX350. Also, I have had very good luck with Toyota products as far as reliability.

Quick Reply: What made you decide to buy a Lexus RX330/350