RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What made you decide to buy a Lexus RX330/350

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 07:57 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Quality, luxury, comfort, ride quality, quietness, fit and finish, value, looks, storage capacity, good mileage for an SUV, Lexus reputation, all the things that most people think of when they see the RX, a luxury SUV.
Old 03-23-08, 03:34 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Quality, luxury, comfort, ride quality, quietness, fit and finish, value, looks, storage capacity, good mileage for an SUV, Lexus reputation, all the things that most people think of when they see the RX, a luxury SUV.
YES indeed he has my answer as well
Old 03-24-08, 05:26 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price, Price, Price. (But you get what you pay for!) We needed a car to replace my Z3 3.0, (long story). so we could go to 3 usable everyday cars from 4. My uncle has had 3 RX's and liked them. So, we thought we would give them a try (my first and most likely my last Lexus). The car is ok, but far from the MB and BMW level. It is a great Toyota but a fair Lexus. That said, Price was a big thing, the car is 10-15K less than a BMW or MB. The dealer service seems to be better than my MB service but on par with the BMW service. I hope the 2010 RX is better. Luxury look at a lower price!
Old 03-25-08, 01:06 AM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

We test drove an FX35. It was too stiff and felt more like a sports car rather than a lux suv. It had good acceleration and a nice exhaust note, but it lacked in cargo space and it didn't have all the extras the RX had. Fullsize spare tire with 5th rim, better fuel economy, the Lexus skid plates lighting up at night. You can't beat Lexus' reliability record, as well as its fit and finish.
Old 03-25-08, 04:19 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

While I think the RX is a good compromise on engineering issues, there are a few things that they could improve that might get me to upgrade to a 2010.

* It really is a small car. That is kind of ok, becuse we get performance and gas mileage because of it. But they can do a few simple things to make the car "bigger".

For one thing, they could make the drivers seat slide back another 2"--just make the seat track longer.

They could add some padding to the two driver side walls, where your knees hit the walls. Right now there is only a wood strip on the left, and the hard center console on the right, and after a long trip big guy's will have sore legs!

They could add 3" to the length of the body, and devote it all to trunk space.

* Rear window--that windshield wiper just does not work! On a long trip in the winter, you have to use the washer every 5 minutes to see out of it, and the wiper blade does not contact the top of the window, so you are blind. Either redesign the wiper blade to actually work, or make the windshield flatter.

* Make the roof rack more useable! It is just too short to put a 12' canoe or pc of lumber on. At least let the cross bar slide to in-front of the sunroof.

* The sound system stinks. But you could greatly improve it with a good subwoofer. So design in a place in the rear body wall to place a 10" subwoofer

* The gauge cluster is not engineered for human factors, at least not for a big guy. The steering wheel blocks the gas gauge for instance! I have run out of gas once because I could not easily see the gas gauge or the warning yellow light! And why is there an RPM indicator? Of no use for a automatic transmission!!! Give us something useful!

* The arm rest for the driver is a joke. If you have long arms it does not work at all. It needs to either be adjustable up-down, or be much wider.

* Give us more control over the propulsion system. Give us a virtual "differential locker" mode so we can use the brakes automatically to get thru deep mud/snow at crawling speed WITHOUT the throttle retarding, etc.

* Give us a bigger gas tank for long hauls. At least 25 gal.

* Give us a flat top surface above the dash board to lay down electronic gadgets! Stuff like gps, radar detectors, etc, just slide off of the humped top.

* The exhaust system is simply inadequate. Give us a dual pipe, or MUCH BIGGER diameter single pipe system.

These things would make the RX pretty neat!

Last edited by biff44; 03-25-08 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-25-08, 10:19 AM
Boognish
Driver

The wife really liked it.
Old 03-25-08, 01:33 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Ditto, the wife fell in love with it. I would not dare disagree.

So I can get my GS later......
Old 03-25-08, 06:08 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have a GS. happy with that and the service. and +1 on the wife liked the RX. She liked the Lexus, I like the BMW so we compromised and got the Lexus.
Old 03-26-08, 07:40 AM
grouch
Driver

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
I also own a BMW and the Lexus waiting room is first class. Don't even get me started about the Ford waiting room. Kind of like comparing a Motel 6 with Waldorf Astoria

when I decide to take it in (probably when I take it in for my free 5000 mile oil change and inspection). They will give me a loaner car when I schedule it. .
Go and enjoy those things. Who do you think paid for them?
Old 04-18-08, 09:58 AM
mindblower
Driver School Candidate

Looks, brand name and quietness.. although I wish it was a little quieter :P
Old 04-19-08, 08:47 PM
Cephus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Ditto, the wife fell in love with it. I would not dare disagree.

So I can get my GS later......
Ditto + 1. Wife really loves driving it.
Old 04-21-08, 05:19 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My parent got it for me as a Birthday Gift, because the SUV I wanted was to expensive, ML, or Cayene. It was either the RX330 or FX35 and the RX had a better gas millage and CPO coverage so that made my Ps happy they get to spend less $$$ on my fuel and repairs. Its suposely really reliable... too bad its a girl car and i am a guy. The MDX was also an option, but it was like a minivan. I like my RX though I just wish it was more macho and didnt carry the girls image.

If i could skin a chevy trailblazer and reskin in my rx with it... it would be perfect. the back of the rx is cool looking though.

since most radio antennas are built into the glass. Does anyone know what that attenna is for on the roof that tilts back and forth? I dont have gps.

Last edited by triplecore; 04-21-08 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-21-08, 06:03 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by integra144
since most radio antennas are built into the glass. Does anyone know what that attenna is for on the roof that tilts back and forth? I dont have gps.
That's your radio antenna.

Would your parents consider adopting me?