RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Newbie & Question about Lexus Personalized Settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 09:43 PM
kidfuture
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie & Question about Lexus Personalized Settings

Hello all. Long time lurker; first time poster. I've greatly enjoyed reading this forum and thought I'd officially join now that I own an RX.

Has anyone had the Lexus personalized settings performed: http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX350_LPS.pdf

Is it worth messing with? I've read other threads on here regarding this, but no posted "must have" favorites. After reviewing the options, I think I'd like:

-Unlock all doors including hatch with one touch (not two touches)
-Power gate automatic assist when manually attempting to lift hatch (no assist as is)
-Pressing the rear door release button momentarily on the remote key causes the rear door to open. (just quicker than it currently does now)

According to the manual, Lexus will set these for free before 30 days or 1000 miles; whichever comes first. I'm going on three weeks and just crossed over 500 miles.

Quick info on my ride:

2008 RX 350 AWD, black on black with navigation.

I paid (cash) $42,404. I realize that's not a killer deal, but the vehicle is exactly as I wanted. The local Lexus dealership kept pushing RX's on me that didn't have what I preferred, i.e. wrong color, no navigation, etc. Therefore I went to a highly recommended local car broker named Randy Voss. He owns Voss Autohaus and Randy alone sold over $26 million in cars last year. Super cool guy. Just mention his name to the Lexus dealership here in town and they'll immediately take a $1,000 off their bottom dollar price. Randy found what I wanted in St. Louis and delivered it to me with just 8 miles on it!

The only modification I've done thus far is tint to the front windows to match the back. Now I'm contemplating mudguards…

Review after brief ownership:

Pros:
-Ride comfort
-Navigation
-Stylish 18 inch rims
-Acceleration
-Backup camera
-Power lift gate
-Bluetooth connectivity
-Automatic tilt-away steering wheel
-6 disc MP3
-Rain sensing wipers
-Moving headlights

Cons:
-Short seat length
-Exterior Minivanish look
-Overly-annoying seatbelt chimes
-Touchy steering (feels like maneuvering a big pillow)
-No MP3 player port
-Can't change navigation route while in motion

Pictures:

I look forward to being a contributing member to the group!
Old 01-09-08, 10:05 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL, kid! As you've been around for a while, you know you can find just about anything you want to know about your RX here. Try an advanced search on this forum for LPS and you'll find a lot of links.

My preferences/settings are much like yours, except I prefer one touch unlock for the driver's door, two for all doors and liftgate - reason: my wife (or I) can unlock the driver's door and enter without taking the risk some unknown person might slip in the passenger side. You can disable that seatbelt alarm, with your LPS settings, but it probably isn't a good idea.
Old 01-10-08, 10:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You can also disable that seat belt chime yourself if the dealer wont do it for you, the procedure is on this site.
Old 01-11-08, 07:26 PM
kidfuture
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lil4X
My preferences/settings are much like yours, except I prefer one touch unlock for the driver's door, two for all doors and liftgate - reason: my wife (or I) can unlock the driver's door and enter without taking the risk some unknown person might slip in the passenger side.
Hmmm. That's a good point. Not so sure I should change that then.

Originally Posted by The G Man
You can also disable that seat belt chime yourself if the dealer wont do it for you, the procedure is on this site.
I read that thread G Man. Thank you. Strange thing is, a week after I got my RX a buddy of mine was tossed from his Jeep when it rolled. The two front seat passengers survived without a scratch. They were wearing seatbelts; he did not. I usually wear my seatbelt but now because of this recent tragic event and the nagging whine of the seatbelt chimes, I wear my belt all the time.

Perhaps I just want to change something just for the heck of changing. As members have alluded to in other threads, the standard settings are pretty much universally-near perfect. I called the Lexus service center and they said the preference settings could be adjusted free of charge all the way to the first free oil change. Therefore I've got another 4,500 miles to go until I need to make any decisions.

Until then, I think I'll just chill and be happy I get to drive it.
Old 01-11-08, 08:06 PM
dude12
Driver School Candidate

From one newb to another - welcome to the club! I think the personalized settings are more of a marketing agenda than an actually useful tool for customers. Like "Hey buy an RX and we'll personalize it for you if you want! (but you probably will like it fine as is)".

Your tint looks great. Reminds me of how most manufacturers tint all the windows for commercials and advertisements, just cuz it looks slicker.
Old 01-13-08, 01:20 PM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

"The only modification I've done thus far is tint to the front windows to match the back. Now I'm contemplating mudguards… "

Nice choice in colors and options! I have almost the exact same vehicle in an RX400h - (with the mudguards).

What % did you use on the front window tint?
Old 01-13-08, 09:19 PM
kidfuture
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dude12
Your tint looks great. Reminds me of how most manufacturers tint all the windows for commercials and advertisements, just cuz it looks slicker.
Thanks dude. Tinting the front to match the back makes the RX appear more seamless. Especially black on black.

Originally Posted by ghabicht
"The only modification I've done thus far is tint to the front windows to match the back. Now I'm contemplating mudguards… "

Nice choice in colors and options! I have almost the exact same vehicle in an RX400h - (with the mudguards).

What % did you use on the front window tint?
Gary, I saw your RX in 400h Roll Call. Very nice.

I had the front windows tinted through a dealer using Solar Gard Window Films (www.SolarGard.com). The film type is HP Charcoal, 22%. Almost street legal.

Did you install the mudguards or did they come stock? I read in another thread that the back wheels must be pulled off in order to install them. Am wondering if they're worth it?
Old 01-13-08, 09:57 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You dont need to pull off any wheels to put the gaurds on