RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx 350 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08 | 09:56 PM
iaco
Driver School Candidate

please help.

I read earlier today about the pebble edition es 350

when is it out, will it be available in canada... how much?
Old 03-28-08 | 06:19 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I replaced the Michelins with Bridgestone Alenzas at 47K. They weren't completely worn out, but would have to put down a new spare so three old and one new plus a new tire for the spare or the set out of series two new and to old. The Bridgestone Alenzas have been on for two weeks and ride just as well as the Michelins did if not better. No noise better grip in the rain and smooth. Also you get a tire with 60k miles life plus three years no problem replacement.
Old 03-29-08 | 06:54 AM
ZIN
Driver

I did a search on tire rack and have narrowed my search down to these tires in my size they will be on my RX 350 only for the summer. any opinions or persons who has had these tires?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp?removeIndex=0|55VR9HPS&width=255/&ratio=50&diameter=19
Old 03-29-08 | 09:18 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Please post what you are looking at and not a link that will not work. Others would be glad to help you if they could read what you wanted to do and not try a link that will not work without errors.
Old 03-29-08 | 09:18 AM
ZIN
Driver

Originally Posted by ZIN
I did a search on tire rack and have narrowed my search down to these tires in my size they will be on my RX 350 only for the summer. any opinions or persons who has had these tires?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp?removeIndex=0|55VR9HPS&width=255/&ratio=50&diameter=19
I guess the link won't work well I think for my size I am going with a Michelin latitude tour hp. I hope that getting the 19 inch wheels with a 40 off set along with the Michelin 255x55x19 will be ok.I still intend to lower it but talking to tire rack they do not recommend going any wider than a 245 . I would of liked to do a 20" wheel but then you go from a stock 28.2" and jump up to 30"then that is getting to tall me.
I was told the Eibach lowering will lower the RX 1.2" but CK6 told me his lowered 2" which be nice.
255x50x19x8" with the lowering springs.
Old 05-11-09 | 08:13 PM
ricasoli
Driver School Candidate

Cool Tire

Originally Posted by Orzel
My Eagle RSA's barely lasted 16k miles and had the tread indicators showing, that's with regular pressure checks and rotation. Went with Michelin MXV's slightly oversize, as replacement and so far with about 16k miles they still look new and a darn sight better handling then the Eagle POS's were.

Hello,
I also have a 05 silver thundercloud, 53k miles. I need to replace my tires very soon. I would like a little wider. Are you satisfied with your Michelins? What size did you replace with?
I live in hot Texas weather, normal driving. Any advice?

Thanks,
RS
Old 05-12-09 | 12:26 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ricasoli
Hello,
I also have a 05 silver thundercloud, 53k miles. I need to replace my tires very soon. I would like a little wider. Are you satisfied with your Michelins? What size did you replace with?
I live in hot Texas weather, normal driving. Any advice?

Thanks,
RS
Hi RS, I've been reasonably pleased with the Michelin's but I believe that I'm going to go with the Bridgestone Alenza's next. My Michelin have lasted about 30k miles now and will need to be replaced prior to winter up here in the Pacific NW. I tend to drive fairly hard and wear out tires quickly, I only managed 16k out of the crappy Goodyear’s. Were I you, I'd look into the Bridgestone’s, but then again living in TX, where I assume you don't worry about snow, you may want to research High Performance tires rather than HP all weather like we need. Also, I did go with a slightly wider tire when I put the M's on, handles much better, and I run mine at 34 lbs on each corner.

Hope that helps a bit! Love them TC's, I still get asked about the RX color as the Thundercloud Metallic is quite rare, only 600 were ever built. There are a lot of Flint Mica TC's out there by camparison, around 5k of those were produced, and the TC was only made for the North American market.
Old 05-12-09 | 02:24 PM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious why anyone would ever need High Performance tires on an SUV. These things were not designed to be driven like a car. The SUVs that have handling characteristics closest to a car's are the BMW X series. The RX is a great vehicle but should never be driven hard regardless of what tires are on it. If you are driving it hard, you're putting yourself, your passengers and others on the road at risk. I'd recommend going with a tire that offers comfort (smooth & quiet) and good all weather traction.

Hi RS, I've been reasonably pleased with the Michelin's but I believe that I'm going to go with the Bridgestone Alenza's next. My Michelin have lasted about 30k miles now and will need to be replaced prior to winter up here in the Pacific NW. I tend to drive fairly hard and wear out tires quickly, I only managed 16k out of the crappy Goodyear’s. Were I you, I'd look into the Bridgestone’s, but then again living in TX, where I assume you don't worry about snow, you may want to research High Performance tires rather than HP all weather like we need. Also, I did go with a slightly wider tire when I put the M's on, handles much better, and I run mine at 34 lbs on each corner.

Hope that helps a bit! Love them TC's, I still get asked about the RX color as the Thundercloud Metallic is quite rare, only 600 were ever built. There are a lot of Flint Mica TC's out there by camparison, around 5k of those were produced, and the TC was only made for the North American market.
Old 05-12-09 | 03:16 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayvis
I'm curious why anyone would ever need High Performance tires on an SUV. These things were not designed to be driven like a car. The SUVs that have handling characteristics closest to a car's are the BMW X series. The RX is a great vehicle but should never be driven hard regardless of what tires are on it. If you are driving it hard, you're putting yourself, your passengers and others on the road at risk. I'd recommend going with a tire that offers comfort (smooth & quiet) and good all weather traction.
Because, high performance tires grip better, corner better, provide a margin of safety that standard rubber does not. They also happen to shorten stopping distances significantly, and may in fact save your butt by doing so. If that's not reason enough, then you can proceed to second guess the designers and engineers that put them on the RX in the first place. Note that most RX's come equipped with high performance all season tires - ya think there may be a valid reason for that?

Besides, you’re throwing out a straw man argument, there are some of us here that are driving enthusiasts, and like to wring what performance we can out of our vehicles, even if they are SUV’s. I’m betting you haven’t a clue as to what the RX is truly capable of. You also have no idea as to whether or not I put my passengers or others on the road at risk, as you have no idea as to where I drive, nor what my capabilities are. If I drive my RX a little harder than most, that’s my choice. My driving record for the last 30+ years is impeccable, and the only accident I’ve had in those 30+ years was on the race track. I happen to know that my RX will cruise quite serenely at triple digits and I want tires under me that are able to sustain that speed, ergo, I buy High Performance All Seasons, and get the best I can for the dollars I spend.
Old 05-12-09 | 09:44 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

You also forget the FX SUV's - they are basically sedans.
Old 05-13-09 | 02:11 PM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

Because, high performance tires grip better, corner better, provide a margin of safety that standard rubber does not. They also happen to shorten stopping distances significantly, and may in fact save your butt by doing so. If that's not reason enough, then you can proceed to second guess the designers and engineers that put them on the RX in the first place. Note that most RX's come equipped with high performance all season tires - ya think there may be a valid reason for that?

Besides, you’re throwing out a straw man argument, there are some of us here that are driving enthusiasts, and like to wring what performance we can out of our vehicles, even if they are SUV’s. I’m betting you haven’t a clue as to what the RX is truly capable of. You also have no idea as to whether or not I put my passengers or others on the road at risk, as you have no idea as to where I drive, nor what my capabilities are. If I drive my RX a little harder than most, that’s my choice. My driving record for the last 30+ years is impeccable, and the only accident I’ve had in those 30+ years was on the race track. I happen to know that my RX will cruise quite serenely at triple digits and I want tires under me that are able to sustain that speed, ergo, I buy High Performance All Seasons, and get the best I can for the dollars I spend.
The OEM tires used on the RX are NOT classified as true high performance tires. And if you ever had a family member killed in an accident caused by someone testing the limits of an SUV, I hope your attitude would be different. The highways of America are not your playground. End of argument.
Old 05-13-09 | 02:34 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

The OEM tires used on the RX are NOT classified as true high performance tires. And if you ever had a family member killed in an accident caused by someone testing the limits of an SUV, I hope your attitude would be different. The highways of America are not your playground. End of argument.
Suggest you bone up on your reading comprehension skills. I specifically stated high performance all season tires (also known as High Performance All-Season) and I would further suggest that you read up on the OEM Goodyear’s and Michelin's that are the factory installed tires, you may just find that they are classified as HP All-Season. If you are unable to do such simple tasks as look up the information for yourself, maybe you shouldn’t be permitted to operate a complex motor vehicle either. You make an assumption, with no verifiable fact that I push the limits of my RX in public areas, surrounded by other vehicles. Again, this is a lame and straw man argument, you don't know where I drive, nor the circumstances under which I feel comfortable pushing my vehicle. Until you have rationale, credible, fact based proof that I am a danger to others, I recommend you find someone else to harangue.
Old 05-14-09 | 07:17 AM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

So, I guess you didn't originally recommend that he look into High Performance tires instead of HP All Weather. And, when you state that you drive hard and tend to wear tires out quickly, are we all supposed to assume you are doing it on a closed course or race track? Give us a brake. Better yet, just slow down!
Old 05-14-09 | 12:22 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

So, I guess you didn't originally recommend that he look into High Performance tires instead of HP All Weather. And, when you state that you drive hard and tend to wear tires out quickly, are we all supposed to assume you are doing it on a closed course or race track? Give us a brake. Better yet, just slow down!

Ya know sport, if you have a bone to pick with me, take it off line, this is a forum for the exchange of ideas, and experiences that may help others. Of course I suggested that he check on HP rathar than HP All-Season, and if you had managed to have an inkling of the context, maybe, just maybe you'd see why. What do they teach you kids in school nowdays, certainly isn't contextual understanding. I'm betting you voted for Obama too.
Old 05-15-09 | 06:31 AM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

Ya know sport, if you have a bone to pick with me, take it off line, this is a forum for the exchange of ideas, and experiences that may help others. Of course I suggested that he check on HP rathar than HP All-Season, and if you had managed to have an inkling of the context, maybe, just maybe you'd see why. What do they teach you kids in school nowdays, certainly isn't contextual understanding. I'm betting you voted for Obama too.
OK. I took it off line. Check your Private Messages.

Quick Reply: Rx 350 Tires