RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx 350 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 10:37 AM
ricasoli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orzel
Hi RS, I've been reasonably pleased with the Michelin's but I believe that I'm going to go with the Bridgestone Alenza's next. My Michelin have lasted about 30k miles now and will need to be replaced prior to winter up here in the Pacific NW. I tend to drive fairly hard and wear out tires quickly, I only managed 16k out of the crappy Goodyear’s. Were I you, I'd look into the Bridgestone’s, but then again living in TX, where I assume you don't worry about snow, you may want to research High Performance tires rather than HP all weather like we need. Also, I did go with a slightly wider tire when I put the M's on, handles much better, and I run mine at 34 lbs on each corner.

Hope that helps a bit! Love them TC's, I still get asked about the RX color as the Thundercloud Metallic is quite rare, only 600 were ever built. There are a lot of Flint Mica TC's out there by camparison, around 5k of those were produced, and the TC was only made for the North American market.
Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late response. To clarify, since it is mostly warm weather in Texas, you recommend that I stay with Michelins or should I try the Alenza H/T. What exact tire size did you purchase for a wider tire? I really appreciate your input.
Yes, I agree the Thundercloud silver is the most unique RX. Do you use any special wax for the paint?
Old 05-21-09, 12:09 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricasoli
Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late response. To clarify, since it is mostly warm weather in Texas, you recommend that I stay with Michelins or should I try the Alenza H/T. What exact tire size did you purchase for a wider tire? I really appreciate your input.
Yes, I agree the Thundercloud silver is the most unique RX. Do you use any special wax for the paint?
What I was thinking, was that since you don't have severe winter weather down there (an assumption on my part), do you really need All Season tires? Possibly you may want to see what else is available in terms of a moderate performance type tire. You might check the Tire Rack web site as they have a question and answer type quiz to match up your driving needs with appropriate rubber, also have reviews by owners, which are well worth reading. Another option is to go to the tire section of the forum and post your requirements there, as I understand it, Tire Rack guys often can give you direct advice. Otherwise, I think that the Alenza's are the way to go, they will be my first choice this fall.
Old 05-21-09, 12:55 PM
ricasoli
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire and size

I appreciate your prompt reply. You assumed correct, the weather is mostly warm to hot here in Texas, thus I guess I would not necessarily need all weather tires. Are the Alenzas ideal for these conditions? What about the tire size you use? I have read the posts regarding the larger size 255/50/18, Toyo's. I would like wider tires, mainly for looks. Any comments..

Thanks!
Old 05-21-09, 01:08 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ricasoli
I appreciate your prompt reply. You assumed correct, the weather is mostly warm to hot here in Texas, thus I guess I would not necessarily need all weather tires. Are the Alenzas ideal for these conditions? What about the tire size you use? I have read the posts regarding the larger size 255/50/18, Toyo's. I would like wider tires, mainly for looks. Any comments..

Thanks!
The Alenza's are listed as High Performance All Season, and based on many reports from forum members, they are great in blizzard like conditions. Since you lucky people down there in Texas don't experience such dubious pleasures as white knuckle winter driving in howling winds with whiteout conditions, maybe a sport truck tire might be a better choice. I believe that there have been some members here that are running Yokohama performance type tires and appear to be happy with them. I also recall that there are other choices through Tire Rack that are not All Season types. As far as size goes, without running out to the parking lot and looking, I believe that I went up a size to 245-55's, or 245-65’s but I just don't remember. What I do recall is that it is one size up from OEM. My own opinion is that unless you go completely after market, wheels and tires, with proper offset, all the tires for the RX's look way to skinny!
Old 05-25-09, 11:16 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Maybe off topic but over the weekend I saw a set of Yokohama V4's on an RX, nice tread design. 235/55/18 but looks wide like the Alenza's. Anybody has these shoes?
Old 05-29-09, 04:43 PM
lexypam
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 tires

I have the Eagle RSA's on and they have worn unevenly at approx 25K, I now have 28K miles.

I've read reviews at tire web sites that these tires are junk.

Not sure what I will have put on soon.
I need something that will last longer.
Old 05-29-09, 06:15 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I replaced the Michelins with Bridgestone Alenzas at 47K. Now have 61K on the car and the Bridgestone Alenzas are doing just great still no snow here in lower Alabama so do not know how they are on that but in the rain they run fine and we have a lot of that here.
Old 10-04-10, 07:04 AM
TvS
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing tires

Any experience with all weather Costco Bridgestone or Michelin Latitude Tour tires for 2008 RX 350? If not, what recommendation do you have?
Old 10-07-10, 09:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Bridgestone Alenza's have good feedback. Try Yokohama's too.
Old 01-14-11, 12:44 PM
rxpx40
Rookie

I ordered a set of Alenza's for my wife's '04 RX330 and had them mounted by Walmart. This was the Big FU to Discount tire as they were unwilling to negotiate reasonably for my tires there. I threw the quote from Thetirerack.com in the guys face when I stormed out of the store, swearing to never go back. I paid $135 for each tire- $10 ea to mount. These tires are very good tires for the RX. Great tread pattern, quiet tire, very well mannered- they handle well and have superior traction.
Now- I have the original Michelin tires on my Dodge Diesel truck at 76000 miles. They have plenty of tread left, but I fear the sidewalls are starting to show some cracking. These are *heavy* truck tires. They wear very evenly across the width of the tire. I do not recommend them for RX's because it would be overkill. Michelin used to make a Cross Terrain tire that was perfect for an RX, but I don't know if they are still available.
Old 01-15-11, 05:04 PM
ripster
Rookie

Tire and oil threads just never die, and always full of information.
Old 01-16-11, 06:19 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Replaced the stock michelins in my 2004 RX330 after about 100,000 km with these Kumhos. Can't be any happier.

For Canada's winters, I use the Pirellis Scorpion Ice and Snow mounted on ASA JH9s (I think).