RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Buying Used

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 05:55 PM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Used

If you were in the market for an RX would you consider buying used? Of course we all know that buying a new is ideal but what about buying used. I would like a RX350 and since it has only been out since 2007 I am finding that the price of a used vehicle isn't that much less than new but at least there is somewhat a savings. Any suggestions on what to look for when buying a used RX330 or 350?
Old 01-14-08, 06:30 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we bought our '05 330 new, we originally went looking for a two or three year lease return, figuring that a Lexus owner was probably pretty easy on the car. The one overriding factor in buying new was that, at the time, these cars were holding value so well that there was only a $2000 difference between a low mileage '04 and a new car. In addition, they didn't have any '03s.

As long as the safety features on a used car are equivalent to a new one (and you can even find a 2-3 year old RX) I would be happy with a used car. I think that a used Lexus is a lot of car for the money. I recently purchased a used 2007 BMW 3 series for more than $5000 less than a new one. Same car, low mileage, and a decent price to boot.

Gary
Old 01-15-08, 03:37 AM
bmparis
Driver School Candidate

To me buying used is preferable since the depreciation is (should be) accounted for in the price. I would look for a CPO vehicle. that gives you the best of both worlds. The feel and warranty of a new car, at a used car price.
Old 01-15-08, 04:03 AM
banjo
Driver

When I went looking for my RX I looked at all the used O7's and found the difference in price not worth it..I bought a new RX 350 loaded...Just a few thousand more than a used one...Used will never smell or look like a new one...Who knows how the used was cared for...Get a new one and have peace of mind..RX 08 Black on Black...Awesom Ride
Old 01-15-08, 07:06 AM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by banjo
When I went looking for my RX I looked at all the used O7's and found the difference in price not worth it..I bought a new RX 350 loaded...Just a few thousand more than a used one...Used will never smell or look like a new one...Who knows how the used was cared for...Get a new one and have peace of mind..RX 08 Black on Black...Awesom Ride

That is what I am finding out. That the price between a used 2007 and especially a used 08 and a new one isn't that much in relative terms. I like the CPO idea and that would certainly be a requirement when purchasing used but these darn things have such a good resale value that the pricing between new and used is close unless I go with a 3 year or older model. I also think that with the 09's coming out in a month and car sales being a bit slow now that maybe some nice discounts can be had on a new 08 or 09 later on.
Old 01-16-08, 02:01 PM
johncdoyle
Driver School Candidate

I bought a CPO '04 RX in June with 27K miles. I paid 28K at a time when a comparable equipped new one would be pushing the 40 mark. So far I'm happy with it -- looks like the new ones, I saved a chunk of change and I got a great warranty. Depending on how long you keep it and how fussy you are about it being a virgin, this may be the answer for you. As for me, I'm intellectually a used car buyer -- think it's better economics -- but sometimes I just impulsively buy a new one for all the reasons new is so nice. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 01-17-08, 10:32 AM
scokat916
Driver School Candidate

I'm also interested in buying a used one in the next 3-4 months. How do you know what a good price is on a used one?
Old 01-17-08, 11:07 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Buying used

My thoughts
1) Lexus hold value very, very well in the used car market. The good news is that it is ok to own Lexus out of warranty (hence, higher resale values)
2) Use NADA and edmunds as pricing guides (dealer use NADA to value/buy cars and use KBB to market and sell cars)

a 2004 Rx330 AWD with 35K miles (according to NADA gets 27.2K on dealer trade-in)

If that car priced at 43K new, then the depreciation was 37% of retail. A third of the car's value depreciated away in the 1st 3 years (This is actually very, very good resale value, most cars depreciate 45-50% in the 1st 3 yrs)

Your actual cost of owner is the depreciation from 3yrs old to however long you own the car. As the car gets older, the yearly depreciation gets less and less per a year of ownership.

From my research, 6 yrs old with less than 90K miles is ideal from the tradeoff of depreciation versus 'oldness' (repair costs, wear items). Not great for you b/c this puts you into a 2002 Rx300 (old body style)

So what? If you're a penny pincher (I am) and you want the RX330/350 style, find a 2003/2004 Rx330 from a private party seller with service records, get a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic who knows the model (doesn't have to be a dealer) and offer $500-$1500 over the trade-in value on NADA depending on how much you love that particular car and the condition it's in. Also factor in the wear and tear items (brakes/tires and major service done/not done yet). I would take a higher mileage car say 65K over a 55K b/c it has passed a service interval ($800-$1200) and the Lexus can be high mileage runners....

BTW I bought a 1998 GS400 for 22% of full retail value with 110K miles on it. Full service records, great condition, no accidents. These cars will last if they are cared for...

Good luck
Old 01-31-08, 06:23 PM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards purchasing a CPO 2007 RX350. I think I probably should be able to get one for around $31,000 to $32,000 if I deal. Most of the used 2007s I have seen for sale do not have nav. I currently own a Garmin Nuvi 350 which I have in my Toyota. It works very well. I really don't need GPS much but it is nice to have one. I probably don't need the factory nav but am undecided whether I should keep searching for a 2007 with factory nav. I know that I would also get bluetooth and the backup camera with the nav. Don't need bluetooth now since my phone doesn't have it but I am sure it's replacement in a year or two will have bluetooth. I would probably install a vehicle specific mount for the Garmin without any power plugs/wires showing which is what I did in my Toyota so the add-on look of an aftermarket GPS wouldn't look too bad. Just not sure what to do about the factory nav. What would you do if you were in the market for a CPO RX350? Thanks.
Old 01-31-08, 06:27 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

CPO used best bet! If you are willing to risk...but cheaper on open market. It is all about luck. Research pay dividends. Good luck. Lexus purchase is a winner no matter what!
Old 02-01-08, 07:12 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

If you want the NAV, keep looking until you find it.
I wanted an '04 with NAV and 4WD, and certain colors were out. I gave my specs to the used car lady at the local Lexus dealer, and nothing appeared for several weeks. So I called the dealer in the next city up the road (40 miles), and he happened to get one traded in a few days later. I bought that one and couldn't be happier. Since I'll be driving it (almost) every day for years, I am quite willing to wait a while to get one outfitted the way I want.
Hang in there.
Old 02-01-08, 09:07 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You should realize that many things are 'locked out' on the 07 and 08 NAV system while the car is moving: you can't modify destination or access your phone book or have your passengers watch DVD's while the car is in motion. Lexus says it's a safety issue.
Test drive any model with NAV and know what you're getting before you buy a Lexus with one facory installed.
Old 02-01-08, 09:47 AM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlawr
You should realize that many things are 'locked out' on the 07 and 08 NAV system while the car is moving: you can't modify destination or access your phone book or have your passengers watch DVD's while the car is in motion. Lexus says it's a safety issue.
Test drive any model with NAV and know what you're getting before you buy a Lexus with one facory installed.
That is probably one of the main reasons for not getting the factory NAV in my opinion. I have a problem with the way Lexus locked it out. I know about the Lockpick device but there is another $300 just to make the NAV work they way it should. I understand about all the legality issues but I think a simple 'I Agree' notice should be sufficient. My Garmin has this notice come up and I either press the Agree button or wait a few seconds and it will clear. I couldn't imagine having to pull over and stop the vehicle just to access the NAV. Frankly, what good is the NAV/bluetooth if you can't use it while driving.

The way I installed my Garmin looks nice in my Toyota. No wires hanging down or suction cup mounts on the windshield and it can easily be removed when not needed. I can do the same in the Lexus. I just didn't want to have any regrets after the purchase but as I think about it longer the more I think that the factory NAV is not only too expensvie but useless with those lock out features.

Last edited by cwirth; 02-01-08 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-01-08, 12:07 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cwirth

The way I installed my Garmin looks nice in my Toyota. No wires hanging down or suction cup mounts on the windshield and it can easily be removed when not needed. I can do the same in the Lexus. I just didn't want to have any regrets after the purchase but as I think about it longer the more I think that the factory NAV is not only too expensvie but useless with those lock out features.

How did you mount your Garmin? Would be very curious as I opted not to get the Nav on our RX and would like to have a portable Nav system as an option. Don't like the suction cups so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-08, 12:16 PM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Orzel
How did you mount your Garmin? Would be very curious as I opted not to get the Nav on our RX and would like to have a portable Nav system as an option. Don't like the suction cups so any suggestions would be appreciated.
I used a vehicle specific mount from a company called ProClip, www.proclipusa.com.

They have mounts for almost all vehicles. They are a bit pricey but work real nice. The one I found for the RX clips onto the center left vent. If you wanted to run power to the mount and not have the power cable showing you probably would have to remove the bezel from around the center instrument cluster. This is what I did in my Toyota Matrix. I ran the power cable through the air duct. You only see about 2" of the cable when the Garmin is not mounted. Don't even see that much when it is in the mount.

Nice thing about a Garmin or other portable GPS is that you can use it in other vehicles. Also it has no restrictions like the factory nav does.

Quick Reply: Buying Used