RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Test drove '08 RX350 yesterday - offered me $2,400 off MSRP - need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 09:44 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on RX purchase

Just my opinion

1) You've established 40K-41K as a do-able price for the vehicle
2) How long do you keep your cars? How much mileage do you put on in a year?
If the answer is 3 years or less and 12k or less, you should consider leasing.
The advantage is you pay taxes on the lease value, not the total value of the car (savings) and you do not own the car (depreciating asset, plus SUV resale values are down in a world of $3.50-$4.00 gas)
Ideally you use 40-41K as the agreed value / acq price of the RX
3) Shop around and look at 41K buys you. If you love/need a SUV, the new Acura MDX should be in range. Personally I like Lexus better than Acura, but the new MDX is a new platform and drives very nicely. My mother has one and it is great for dogs (large cargo area, easy in and out)

Also be careful of 'fees', sometimes dealers try to get profit back through bogus fees (dealer prep, mkting). Try to negotiate based on a 'out the door' or 'all-in' price.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-08, 09:50 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i still think anything over inovice is too high, for a car that is already 5 years into a production cycle plus the 2009 with no major changes is coming out. Until a dealer has like 1-2 cars or less in stock that means they have a lot. even if they sell at invoice they still make money since there is the wholesale reserve and the dealer holdback, plus whatever lexus corporate gives them for selling the car in the first place. Dont forget the rip off pricing they will be charging for the life of the car to do maintenance at the dealership, if you choose to do your services there. At any time do not feel sorry for the dealership remember they are trying to make as much off of you as possible.
Old 01-18-08, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DogLady
Just curious - how many people pay this or how many refuse to pay it. I've heard it's just a dealers way to get more money and isn't really necessary. Although I have never been successful at getting a dealer to take it off.
The destination charge is a real fee, no too many people have be able to get teh dealer to discount that. Some people have been sucessful in getting the dealer to discount the Lexus advertising fee, but that will take a bit of work.
Old 01-18-08, 06:28 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
Just my opinion

The advantage is you pay taxes on the lease value, not the total value of the car (savings)

3) Shop around and look at 41K buys you. If you love/need a SUV, the new Acura MDX should be in range.

1. I’m not sure how it works in CA, but in IL you pay tax on the price of vehicle when you either buy it or lease it. On the top, if you decide to buy it after your lease is up, you will pay tax on residual value as well. Double taxation.

2. MDX is quite more $$ over RX. I shopped for both prior to buying RX in December.
Old 01-18-08, 07:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

To add to that, here in MA, when you trade in your car, you only pay tax on the different in price between the new car and your trade in. MDX is a nice car, but the built quality and material is not up to par with Lexus.
Old 01-18-08, 09:15 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
To add to that, here in MA, when you trade in your car, you only pay tax on the different in price between the new car and your trade in. MDX is a nice car, but the built quality and material is not up to par with Lexus.
i beg to differ. i think the mdx is built pretty good. the build quality on the RX has been horrible compared to the other lexus models. but i guess its hard to change peoples perceptions
Old 01-18-08, 11:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I use to owned a MDX and still have friends that have it. Go to the MDX board and you know what I mean, there are many complaints about gaps too wide, too narrow and mis-aligned. You have to keep in mind that the RX is the low end model of the Lexus SUV line up, there will be some cost savings by the factory, but for the most part, it is quality built.
Old 01-27-08, 06:58 PM
ralphj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superior Lexus of Kansas City is advertising in the Kansas City Star newspaper $4,000 discount.

I have been unable to see pictures of the 09 RX and the dealer has not been able to tell me when the new generation is coming. Lexus.com also is not saying when the next generation is being released. Where did your one month information come from?

My personal theory is that I would not buy an old generation vehicle unless you expect to keep the 08 more than five years. I would buy the new generation if keeping less than five years.
Old 01-27-08, 07:52 PM
ICtheOcean
Driver School Candidate

OMG. I can't believe people start negotiating at MSRP. You start that and the dealer will have you in check mate, end game in no time flat. Plus you will feel beat up for the next few weeks, you just want to pay MSRP to make it stop

In any case. Go to NADA, get invoice pricing. They are a bit off, but close enough that the dealer will show you his invoice cost. Or if you have AAA or Costco in your area the special price is $500 over invoice for the RX. Once you decide on the options, you will need to determine how much wou want to pay BEFORE you walk into the dealership.

If you are going to finace, then get your own financing line up. I used Capital One via online blank check and they are very simple and easy. I qualified for 5.29% new, 5.79% used '06 and newer, 6.79 '05. No application fee, no pre payment fee of course 30 mos term rate. If the dealer can beat your deal, then great go with the dealer. If you have trade in, then KNOW what you can sell the car for in the open market. Who cars if you love it - they don't car. Go to a few other dealerships, so you know the local market and also talk to the CPO salesman. Information is your friend. Once you have the price you want to pay. Just tell the dealer. If you can justify the price you are asking and you are not BSing, then you should come out strong. I negotiated $1500 under invoice (hold back is $750 + a few other line items including incentives). Even so, I bought a used CPO, 05 with all options, low mileage, single owner, full docs and service because I saved $7000 between the '05 and the new '08. However, if the difference in price was $5k, I would have went with the '08.

That said. I didn't lease. I keep my cars for a while and this one is a keeper.

I live in S. Cal. our market may be different than yours.

Good luck!!!!
Old 01-29-08, 12:03 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I use to owned a MDX and still have friends that have it. Go to the MDX board and you know what I mean, there are many complaints about gaps too wide, too narrow and mis-aligned. You have to keep in mind that the RX is the low end model of the Lexus SUV line up, there will be some cost savings by the factory, but for the most part, it is quality built.
i still think statement is a load of crap. thats like saying i paid over 40K for a car and its ok that they cut corners. While the mdx as you claim might have some fittment issues, rather that then a crappy trannsmission. i think the biggest statement about toyota's quality is how consumer reports no longer automatically recommends them while they still do for hondas. if i could i would kill the lease on my rx330 tomorrow, and switch it for an MDX, X5, or cayenne in a heartbeat.
Old 01-29-08, 07:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Although consumer report is helpful, its not a bible. Surveys can be misleading sometimes. I have owned 4 Honda / Acuras in the pass, every one was worst than the pass one. I supposed you can say that about Toyota / Lexus as well to some point. Overall, I dont think they cut corners in the MDX. Its just that they spend their money in other areas, such as the drive train and suspension and Lexus spends it on the overall package.
AM1, you have one of the most problematic RX on this board, that is not typical of other owner's experience. Hack, I have a friend that owns a X5 that is problem free.
Old 01-29-08, 09:58 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Back to the original question here is what I just got

MSRP + (with some added extras like tint, digishield, title, ..) $46, 881 (AWD)

I got this for $43,000 (so I guess only $3800 off MSRP) but they are going to deleiver this to my house which is a 500 mile deleiver at no charge.

The closest I could get from KC or MPLS dealers was (for the same package) $44,500 (no delivery though)

I guess living in the midwest has its limits, plus these things fly off the lots so there are not many around unless inside/outside color is not an issue..so I had to order this from the factory
Old 01-29-08, 10:28 PM
ICtheOcean
Driver School Candidate

well congrats on the car purchase. next time negotiate from the invoice down. or the invoice up
Old 01-29-08, 11:51 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

well since he doesnt have many dealers nearby it might not be that bad.