RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Do different keys link to different memory settings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 10:39 AM
CTtech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Grand Cherokee even had memory attached to the key fob. As a matter of fact the key fobs were color coded and there were matching color coded buttons on the inside of the door, so if you grabed the other set of keys you could still set the memory to your own presets. The memory actually controlled the seat, mirrors, and the radio presets even. Although I am much happier with the RX350, by far, I was rather disapointed the RX didn't have this feature. I was rather surprised actually, considering all of the other little things they did think of.
My 2 cents,
CTtech
Old 01-27-08, 08:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Linking the memory settings to the two different keys can work for some families, but it seems that many manufacturers who have used this are dropping the feature because the majority of people do not use separate keys. For the most part, they put the keys in one place, and whoever is driving the car picks up the key and goes. Do you want to be the taller driver who opens the door to a seat creeping up very close to a descending steering wheel (or vice versa). In these instances, the door buttons would always have to be used anyway. Thus, in real world experiences, many many customers complained of the inconvenience. Not to mention that most people are so lo-tec that they don't set all these devices correctly or understand why the car seems to have a mind of its own. The technology sounds great in theory, and for some people is a great convenience, but the system depends upon each driver using his or her own key all the time. Those who do not abide by this regime find the system annoying and much prefer the memory buttons on the car door.
Or so I've been told.
I think you're completely incorrect. First off, more and more manufacturers are adding this feature every year. Lexus offers it on every single model except the RX and SC, and I guarantee those models will get it when they are redesigned. Toyota offers it on the Avalon, Camry, Land Cruiser, and probably other models. Nissan and Infiniti offer it across the lineup. Even domestic manufacturers such as Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet and Jeep are getting into the act.

Secondly, most manufacturers that do offer it also have the option to disable it for those people who share keys (though I've never met a family that does). CK6speed currently has it disabled on his car.

Finally, you act as though having key memory somehow makes the buttons disappear. It doesn't. My BMW supports 4 key memories and 3 button memories, all independent of one another. So if you do happen to use someone else's key, you just push the button for your memory setting before (or after) getting into the car, and they're back the way you like it. Of course, when you give that key back to its rightful user, they'll have to push THEIR button because your settings are now associated with their key. But that's no more complicated than only having the buttons in that situation. In every single other situation, it's far MORE convenient to have the memory tied to the key.
Old 01-27-08, 03:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Secondly, most manufacturers that do offer it also have the option to disable it for those people who share keys (though I've never met a family that does). CK6speed currently has it disabled on his car.
Not by choice. I bought the car used and the previous owner never had it activated. However, I want to get mine activated. We also don't share keys either. My wifes keys has too much girly things on the key chain for me to want to use it Also you are right about still having the memory buttons for those that still prefer to push a hard button. For now, cars still have both. I think it is a great idea. For example. just like how our steering wheels rise out of the way to make it easier to get in and out, you could program your remote to push the seat back. That way when you get into your car, you have a lot of room, then just hit one of the free memory buttons and it will position you where you want. Or something like that. Either way, it gives you options to play with.
Old 01-27-08, 07:57 PM
javanutsy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arbitrage1
Further on preferences though, in the navigation menu you can store preferences for 3 users. Preferences like zoom, display orientation, stored addresses etc. And multiple phones can be pared with bluetooth system, and "remembered" by the car. Only one can be active at a time though of course.
Is there a quick way to switch between these preferences? Seems like it takes a few keystrokes?
Old 01-28-08, 02:59 PM
Arbitrage1
Driver

Originally Posted by javanutsy
Is there a quick way to switch between these preferences? Seems like it takes a few keystrokes?
I haven't found a quick way. You have to go into the menus...
Old 01-28-08, 06:41 PM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geko29
It is most decidedly NOT better than the key.

In my 2000 BMW, pushing the unlock button on the remote sets the seat, mirrors, radio presets and HVAC settings to the last settings used with that key. Everything is set before you even open the door.

That is a far superior system than that in the RX, IMO.
I would argue that point. I, being 6'2" would benefit from the key moving the seat back to my pre-set position before I got into the car, but my wife (5'6") would prefer the seat be in the far back position until she got into the seat, then have everything adjust where she sets them.

Chris