RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Do different keys link to different memory settings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 11:29 AM
timho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do different keys link to different memory settings?

Hi,

I've been to the site for a few weeks. It's great and the information is priceless! We are going to purchase a new '08 RX350 in the next few days. Hopefully the transation will be a smooth one.

One question about the memory settings that control the power mirror, driver's seat, etc. Does the car recognize different keys and change to different memory settings? Earlier we were considering an '08 Acura RDX. Although it was kind of small, un-refined, gas-guzzling and not much cheaper than a RX, but the memory settings on RDX are linked to different keys. That's one great feature I hope RX comes equipped as well. Anyone with an '08 can verify that for me?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 01-25-08, 12:47 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 04 not the newest model, but its within the same Generation. I don't think they do, put there is the memory button is located high on the door and is very convenient. Also the steering wheels move up and in so people of different sizes can get without starting the car. Pretty nifty.
Old 01-25-08, 01:17 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

The '07 most definitely does NOT offer key-memory (even though my $15k cheaper and 7 year older BMW does.....?). You have to use the two buttons on the door. I can practically guarantee they have not changed this for '08, as that is the type of feature that usually comes after a major refresh (happened in '07) or a total redesign (due in '09).
Old 01-25-08, 01:23 PM
banjo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geko29
The '07 most definitely does NOT offer key-memory (even though my $15k cheaper and 7 year older BMW does.....?). You have to use the two buttons on the door. I can practically guarantee they have not changed this for '08, as that is the type of feature that usually comes after a major refresh (happened in '07) or a total redesign (due in '09).
The buttons on the door are very good for adjustments to seat and all...Better than the key...You want seat adjustment before sitting down...Lexus is up front on this..
Old 01-25-08, 01:49 PM
timho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by banjo
The buttons on the door are very good for adjustments to seat and all...Better than the key...You want seat adjustment before sitting down...Lexus is up front on this..
Actually on RDX, with memory settings linked to the remote key fob, when you open the door with a specific key, the driver's seat and mirrors will be adjusted automatically. No need to press any button and there is no need to put the key in ignition to make the adjustment. I suppose the design for current RX is pretty old (~6 years), and natually there are certain features that are missing. Good thing that this isn't really a deal breaker for me...

Tim
Old 01-25-08, 02:26 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL, Tim! Hope we can be helpful in your selection and ownership of your new RX.

My RX is also an early 330 model and those door buttons only control two presets for seat and outside mirror position. There was at one time an interest in keying all personalized functions of the vehicle into that same memory, and you wouldn't think it would be too difficult. Imagine having not only seat and mirror position, but all LPS settings, default HVAC function, even radio presets linked to a single memory that is selectable by a button or tied to a key transponder. I wish Lexus would revisit that idea . . .
Old 01-25-08, 02:50 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Welcome to CL, Tim! Hope we can be helpful in your selection and ownership of your new RX.

My RX is also an early 330 model and those door buttons only control two presets for seat and outside mirror position. .
It also should do the steering wheel position as well.
Old 01-25-08, 02:53 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by banjo
It is most decidedly NOT better than the key.

In my 2000 BMW, pushing the unlock button on the remote sets the seat, mirrors, radio presets and HVAC settings to the last settings used with that key. Everything is set before you even open the door.

That is a far superior system than that in the RX, IMO.
Old 01-25-08, 03:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It is most decidedly NOT better than the key.

In my 2000 BMW, pushing the unlock button on the remote sets the seat, mirrors, radio presets and HVAC settings to the last settings used with that key. Everything is set before you even open the door.

That is a far superior system than that in the RX, IMO.
The neat thing about the BMW is you have an option to have the keys set the memory or not. My 2002 is NOT programed for that option, but I've been thinking about getting it done lately. I bought my car used so I just never really bothered with it yet, but the more I think about it the more I want to do it.

Anyway, everyone is doing it that way now days. Pretty much all the manufacturers that have Comfort Access, Keyless Go, Smart Key, or whatever they call it sets the memory settings to the key used. I bet the next generation RX goes that way as well.
Old 01-25-08, 08:40 PM
Arbitrage1
Driver

On my brand new 08 the keys are not associated with memory. You have to use the buttons on the door. I was a bit disappointed with this.

Further on preferences though, in the navigation menu you can store preferences for 3 users. Preferences like zoom, display orientation, stored addresses etc. And multiple phones can be pared with bluetooth system, and "remembered" by the car. Only one can be active at a time though of course.
Old 01-25-08, 09:59 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It also should do the steering wheel position as well.
I forgot that one - good save! Yes, the wheel position is a part of the memory package

Originally Posted by Arbitrage1
. . . in the navigation menu you can store preferences for 3 users. Preferences like zoom, display orientation, stored addresses etc. And multiple phones can be pared with bluetooth system, and "remembered" by the car. Only one can be active at a time though of course.
That is good news! Those were some of the other functions that were discussed as a part of the driver "memory". Glad to see they made it to production.
Old 01-25-08, 11:51 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

On my wife's '08 RX350 those memory buttons only work then the AT is in "Park". So, if I start driving and forgot to change the seat position, I have to either change everything separately, or stop, put AT into "Park", then I can use the memory buttons. Very annoying. What do you, folks think about it? Any way to make those memory buttons work while driving?
Old 01-26-08, 06:43 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

The reason the system requires the transmission be in "Park" is to keep you from being distracted by an extreme movement of the seat while driving. If I accidentally brushed the #2 position on my seat memory without this interlock, I could be flying down the freeway while simultaneously having the wheel planted on my thighs, the seat jamming my middle into the airbag, and my head into the roof. That position may be fine for my wife, but I might need the "Jaws of Life" to cut me out of the car.
Old 01-26-08, 07:50 AM
tfischer

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Linking the memory settings to the two different keys can work for some families, but it seems that many manufacturers who have used this are dropping the feature because the majority of people do not use separate keys. For the most part, they put the keys in one place, and whoever is driving the car picks up the key and goes. Do you want to be the taller driver who opens the door to a seat creeping up very close to a descending steering wheel (or vice versa). In these instances, the door buttons would always have to be used anyway. Thus, in real world experiences, many many customers complained of the inconvenience. Not to mention that most people are so lo-tec that they don't set all these devices correctly or understand why the car seems to have a mind of its own. The technology sounds great in theory, and for some people is a great convenience, but the system depends upon each driver using his or her own key all the time. Those who do not abide by this regime find the system annoying and much prefer the memory buttons on the car door.
Or so I've been told.
Old 01-26-08, 08:04 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Different car makers, different design philisophies. Japanese, European, American, etc.. So, do not expect plain vanilla for the offering. You would have a heck of a time, when all cars are the same......

Quick Reply: Do different keys link to different memory settings?