RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 06:14 PM
devin_ch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX330 Windshield

Hi All, I just bought a used 2004 RX330 that was made is Japan (Vin# starts with J). All the window glass says Lexus but the front windshield doesnt say Lexus anywhere but says FY. I am assuming it is an aftermarket windshield? Can 2004 owners please let me know if it says lexus on their windshield (Vin# starting with J). BTW, I am in Toronto, Canada

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-28-08, 06:31 PM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just walked out to my wife's 2004 RX330. The VIN starts with 'J' and the glass has 'LEXUS' (and a bunch of other verbiage) etched into the outside of the windshield just above and to the left of the area where the VIN is located.

Chris
Old 01-28-08, 07:33 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Ditto!

LEXUS
LAMIPANE
DOT23
Plus other etching in the same area. Sounds like your windshield is aftermarket.
Old 01-28-08, 08:43 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine too. i have a Feb 03 Japan build with original windshield. it says Lexus in the corner.
Old 01-28-08, 11:55 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

who cares? if you really have to know since you bought the car used it is very likely that the car had its windshield replaced, and if it was replaced by an insurance company again it is likely they used a windshield that is within toyota spec, but may not be an original toyota part.
Old 01-29-08, 05:37 AM
jfelbab

Your windshield is a safety device and not just something that keeps the rain and bugs from hitting you in the face. I'd ask the Lexus dealership to inspect the windshield and ask their opinion if they feel it compromised the safety of the vehicle.

http://www.bestglass.com/faq.html#faq3

http://www.glass.net/auto-glass-info...uld-i-buy.html
Old 01-29-08, 06:04 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Looks like they have replaced the windshield...not uncommon....sometimes a crack is a safety issue, hence replaced. There are no outright Lexus glass replacement anyway.....
Old 01-29-08, 06:13 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AM1
who cares? if you really have to know since you bought the car used it is very likely that the car had its windshield replaced, and if it was replaced by an insurance company again it is likely they used a windshield that is within toyota spec, but may not be an original toyota part.
I thought I had read somewhere (caution - caveat ahead ) that a windshield can meet the SAFETY standards of Toyota/Lexus but may or may not meet the requirements that allow the rain sensor to work. Same thing with the headlight lux sensor.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Finally, I would like to know why it was replaced. The latter is more out of curiosity than concern.

Gary
Old 01-29-08, 07:12 AM
devin_ch
Driver School Candidate

I was looking at the winshield closely and it does have those heater lines around the wipers which I am assuming helps so that the wipers dont get frozen to the windshield. I will test if this actually works sometime this week once we get some fresh snow. I am not sure about the rain sensing stuff. Did all the 2004 RX330 had this option? How can I tell surely that I have this option? Is there a way to test this? Sorry, I dont have the owner's manual so I am asking you guys for details...

The SUV doesnt seem to be in an accident but the windshield definitely seems to have been replaced. It came with the height adjustible suspension and adaptive headlights and I like the way they move when I start the car .
Old 01-29-08, 07:28 AM
jfelbab

BTW, that FY stands for Fuyao Group, the largest glass company in China. They do make OEM glass for several auto manufacturers and I haven't seen any indication of quality issues with their glass in a brief search of the iNet.

If you go to the Lexus website, you can register as the owner and you have access to the owners manual on-line.

I suspect you have the automatic wipers if you have the other features. Check the on-line manual for their operation.

Your wiper stalk has a Mist, Auto, Lo and High marking and another ring that has + & - markings for adjusting the sensitivity of the auto wipers. I love the auto setting.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-29-08 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 09:05 AM
devin_ch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot jfelbab!

I truly appreciate the help on this forum! I did register with lexus canada and they only have the supplemental maintenance manual online and not the actual owner's manual . Can someone be kind of enough to maybe upload one to this site or maybe put it on some ftp site where I can download from. I called the dealership and they want $60 for it!

Thanks all!
Old 01-29-08, 01:12 PM
jfelbab

Try this.

Go to the Lexus site and log in as a registered owner under the Owners tab.

Choose to the Managed Vehicle tab. Click the "Search Owners Manual" tab

Look over to the extreme right hand side of the screen. Under the "Related Information" heading there should be two items. The first prompts you to Download Acrobat Reader. The second is the one you should find interesting. It says "Order a Replacement Owners manual". I believe that you are allowed to order one replacement OM for your vehicle at no charge.
Old 01-29-08, 04:29 PM
devin_ch
Driver School Candidate

Guys, I tested the rain-sensing wipers and they work! I put the lever to auto setting and then moved the +- to + and went in the drizzle today and it worked like a charm! at + setting they were coming on often and at - they were still coming on but not as often. It seems to work with aftermarket windshield! I AM SOOO HAPPY! Thanks y'all
Old 01-29-08, 05:50 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by devin_ch
Guys, I tested the rain-sensing wipers and they work! I put the lever to auto setting and then moved the +- to + and went in the drizzle today and it worked like a charm! at + setting they were coming on often and at - they were still coming on but not as often. It seems to work with aftermarket windshield! I AM SOOO HAPPY! Thanks y'all
Enjoy your new Lexus!

One thing I really like about the auto wipers is that they adjust very well to the conditions. Passing a semi in the rain and they automatically speed up. Misting... they seem to wipe just at the right speed. I never give them a thought, they just seem to work.
Old 01-30-08, 12:29 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

I wouldn't sweat the replacement glass - we're on our 3rd, due to rock chips and cracking. The really important things are; OEM style (meets same spec), optical clarity (had a bad OEM windshield that in fact had Lexus on it, very badly distorted - so bad that driving caused nausea there’s a thread all about windshield replacements - try the search function), and whether the wipers work correctly.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX330 Windshield