RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Better Gas Millage

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 12:24 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfelbab
2004 AWD - 22.3 avg. measured MPG over the vehicle's life. As high as 27.2 freeway at 75-80 mph constant for around 300 miles with cruise engaged most of the time. Typically 24-26 MPG freeway and 21-23 MPG city. The average mileage has continued to improve over the four years I've owned it. I had the transmission re-flashed last April and since have never gotten less than 22 MPG. You can easily see when I take cross country road trips in the graph. Quite impressive performance for a two ton SUV, IMO.

Love your graph! I've noticed a marked improvement in mileage and power when I run premium fuel. We've seen upwards of 27 on the open road with feathering the throttle and coasting to stops. Our lifetime average is just a tick over 21. We actually managed to get 24.9 this last week in a necessary trip over the Cascade Mountains and it was in very foul driving conditions with heavy snow, slow traffic, and extremely slick conditions - we're getting hammered with mountain snows here and more is expected-

I pay little attention to AM1 - I consider him a troll and with nothing better to do than bash Lexus. The RX isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than any even close to it's class. His constant griping and unfounded allegations get really boring.
Old 02-02-08, 01:07 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

thanks, glad to know that you actually read my posts. i would not keep bashing the RX if i didnt have it anymore. Since i still have it, i will continue to post this car's shortcomings. Believe what you want, say what you want. i don't think it is possible to get over 20mpg in this car. i know other people who own this car and are getting the same MPG, but i guess i must be wrong and they own FWD models too, mine is AWD and guzzles gas. the mpg is the same no matter what grade gas i put in. but, i guess im just crazy or running my mouth for fun. Or better yet i guess when the dealer techs agree that this car has many shortcomings and many problems which is uncharateristic for a lexus and for a car that costs this much, they must be crazy too. The difference between me and many people here is that i can accept that this car has problems and am putting it out there so people know that and can hopefully inform people about this car. If you really want proof that lexus knows about this car's problems? take some time to call lexus HQ and tell them you are having problems with your tranny and see what they tell you.
Old 02-02-08, 04:37 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
i would not keep bashing the RX if i didnt have it anymore. Since i still have it, i will continue to post this car's shortcomings.
If what you say is correct, that you hate the car but you continue to drive it, one of two conditions exists:
  1. You really enjoy complaining, possibly an attention-getting device.

2. You are deep into masochism.
The psychologist is out - I'm just the temp answering the phones.
Old 02-02-08, 09:51 AM
tawm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How did you produce this graph?

[/QUOTE]

Jim / Jfelbab:

Could you (or another reader) please explain the software / hardware for getting the data from your RX to produce this graph? I know the "Information" screen will post current and from-recent-fueling MPG, but how do you track this over the car's life? If it's a RTFM answer, sorry, please point me to it!
Thanks.
Old 02-02-08, 11:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tawm
Jim / Jfelbab:

Could you (or another reader) please explain the software / hardware for getting the data from your RX to produce this graph? I know the "Information" screen will post current and from-recent-fueling MPG, but how do you track this over the car's life? If it's a RTFM answer, sorry, please point me to it!
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You must not have seen the addendum to the owners manual. Look on page 112.
LOL!

Actually, this graph is done in Apple's "Numbers" spreadsheet.

I record the odometer and the fill-up info each time I stop. I also record the costs associated with owning the car including all service. So this is actual data and not the on-board computer's estimates.

I chose to graph the MPG and Avg. MPG. The application allows me to choose and place a photo behind the graph and change it's transparency. All in all this graph took about 5 minutes to initially prepare.
Old 02-02-08, 01:06 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4482
I removed mine from my 05 RX on the first day I bought the car. I'd say it's got to help.

How did you remove yours? I tried doing it this weekend. Mine only slides around after lifting the latch.
Old 02-02-08, 01:21 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, I was gonna ask the same questions. While I don't believe removing those bars does jack for the gas mileage, i just want to remove them because I don't like the way they look. How did you do it!
Old 02-04-08, 12:37 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lil4X
If what you say is correct, that you hate the car but you continue to drive it, one of two conditions exists:
  1. You really enjoy complaining, possibly an attention-getting device.

2. You are deep into masochism.
The psychologist is out - I'm just the temp answering the phones.
Lil4X thanks! Couldn't have said it better myself.

BTW I take extreme exception to being called a liar - so AM1, stuff it. I track my fuel mileage religiously and whether or not you choose to believe my results is your decision, but your comments about factuality are highly inappropriate in this venue.
Old 02-07-08, 09:59 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also believe in keeping aware of fuel consumption as it is a nice indicator if smthg is wrong with vehicle. I dont believe removing crossbars will yield to noticeble (more than 1mpg) savings. Moved them backwards and this will do.

We fill up our 05 AWD with regular, and getting average 19-20mpg on a tank in combined city/hwy driving, and 21-23mpg on a highway trip at about 70mph. Filled her up with premium once, had the same mpg as with regular. If there was a 3-4mpg difference I would have noticed it.

All I can say to person who claims to get high 20's mpg in RX330 AWD, is good for you. Wondering what tranny reflash does to 2005 AWD, is it a TSb that is done free of charge, or have to pay the dealer to get it done. Someone on CL wrote that he regretted the reflash....