RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Coolant temperature shot way up

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-09, 08:03 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I would check, in this order:
1) fluid level. If it is low, fill it up, and see if it leaks out again in a day or two of driving.

2) Watch when running to see if the electric fans turn on. If not, you need a new switch or fan.

3) Take to shop and have the thermal valve replaced, as they do eventually fail. It could be stuck shut.

It could be other things (blown water pump, clogged radiator, etc), but the car is too young for those to be likely.
Old 01-03-09, 12:41 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Have you owned the vehicle from new? If not, the coolant system might have been neglected prior to your purchase and clogged arteries in the radiator caused it to need to be replaced.

If you owned it from new and did the proper maint, then there is no way it should have gone bad at 68k miles.
I did own it from day one. I remember one day coolant all over the garage floor when she was pretty new. There was some kind of repair to a plate, which the dealership has on record, but they say it has nothing to do with the radiator replacement.

I thought I did all the required maintenance. There's obviously a slow leak while driving, cause the reservoir needs refilling almost daily, but no puddles appear when parked.

Originally Posted by tfischer
That just happened to me a few weeks ago.
My '04 started to overheat while driving. The dealer checked it and found that the radiator was leaking and needed to be replaced. Although I still have a few months left on my CPO warranty, which would have covered it ($750 or so), the service tech mentioned that my '04 fell within a range of VIN numbers that had bad radiators, and that Lexus "extended" the original factory warranty on those cars and would replace them. (So I was double covered.)
I searched here and did find some posts about the radiator problems from posts in '05 and '06, since that's when the original warranties ran out on the new '04 cars.
Before you pay for the replacement, have the service folks look this info up and see if your car is in the covered group.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I'm currently Googling my brains out trying to find a recall or extended warranty your dealership mentioned.
Old 01-03-09, 02:35 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Just an update: The temperature would shoot to hot when driving in normal conditions/flat roads. They took the RX to the dealership today. The radiator needs to be replaced. Around $1K with labor. Is this normal for 68K miles??
Keep us posted,I wonder if it was really the radiator that is the problem.
Old 01-03-09, 05:20 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

After further searching, I've found TSB #0503/NHTSA #10019326 which states "RADIATOR MAY CRACK AT THE BASE OF ONE OR MORE OF THE RADIATOR TUBES, RESULTING IN COOLANT LEAKAGE - CUSTOMER SUPPORT PROGRAM - WARRANTY COVERAGE ENHANCEMENT. LEXUS. *TT " per allautoworld.com. http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHT...tin_96947.html

I've also read that this TSB covers only RX's produced in Canada and only owners who live in cold areas. Not hard evidence, but that's what I've found online so far. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...t=#entry276208

All Hawaii Lexus vehicles are from Japan, so that could be why I never received that TSB letter back in '05/'06 unlike some other owners.

I'm going to the dealership with my folks on Monday to talk with the service manager to set this straight. Not sure why the Japan-made RX is not included in this TSB. I'll keep you all informed!
Old 01-04-09, 06:59 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

MY dealer mentioned that my car, an '04 which was built in Japan, fell within a range of VIN numbers for the special extended warranty for a leaking radiator. I found posts here on CL discussing the problem several years ago. Also, when told that it was a radiator leak, I mentioned that I had no puddles on the garage floor, and was told that was not unusual. My guess is that since the car went hot only after 10 minutes or so of driving, that the leaking was only when under pressure.
They replaced the entire radiator and some hoses and charged me nothing although, as mentioned, my CPO warranty would have covered that costs anyway.
Old 01-04-09, 08:17 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

If you are loosing coolant (where you need to add every week), ask for a pressure test of the coolant. The device looks like a football pump and it attaches at the radiator cap and the tech just pumps it up. At times the radiator cap needs replacement.

Salim
Old 01-04-09, 09:58 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

MY dealer mentioned that my car, an '04 which was built in Japan, fell within a range of VIN numbers for the special extended warranty for a leaking radiator.
Good to know... thank you!
Old 01-05-09, 07:43 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Went down to the dealership today. Spoke to the service supervisor (manager was not it). Our VIN doesn't qualify and we didn't receive a letter either about the radiator, so the only option he gave us was to call the 800 customer service line.

Planning on speaking with the service manager tomorrow when dropping the RX off to ask for either a goodwill fix or some sort of discount, especially since this is the 3rd Lexus I've bought from them! (Actually, it's the 4th in our family - folks had a '98 ES prior)
Old 01-06-09, 06:02 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

I think your only shot is to apply for some of that sweet Federal Bailout Money; auto dealers, even high-end dealers, are a little short on cash right now, and I would not expect too much in the way of a "goodwill fix."
But there's never any harm in asking.
Good Luck.
Old 01-07-09, 12:43 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I think your only shot is to apply for some of that sweet Federal Bailout Money; auto dealers, even high-end dealers, are a little short on cash right now, and I would not expect too much in the way of a "goodwill fix."
But there's never any harm in asking.
Good Luck.
There was no harm in asking! The estimate prior to the bailout was a little over $1K including labor. The bill came out to around $740-something . My dad was happy!

We dropped it off Tuesday around 7:30am and picked it up today around 10am. They kept it overnight in order to do a test run, wash, etc. And according to them, there was a whole lot of stuff that needed to be removed in order to replace the radiator. Just an FYI, the radiator was leaking from the top, left corner.

We are totally appreciative with the dealer's goodwill repair discount. That's how you get repeat customers!