RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Coolant temperature shot way up

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 03:20 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temperature shot way up

My old RX330 (now owned by my folks, has about 51K mi.) While parked on a slight incline with the engine running and A/C on, the coolant temperature needle went all the way up to the 5th line on the gauge. The A/C went warm. After driving off, the coolant temperature went back to normal and the A/C was cool again. Can anyone explain this?
Old 02-09-08, 05:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Time to replace the the thermostat
Old 02-09-08, 07:17 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Thermostat is one possibility and the other is the cooling fan (its switch) as well.

Also simple thing as a clean radiator does wonders to the cooling system.

Q: Does the coolant retain its properties one you reach extreme temperature? Should the coolant be replaced once you see it steam off?

Salim
Old 02-09-08, 08:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Actually if he start driving off and temp went back to normal, it more likely the its the cooling fan than the thermostat.
Old 02-09-08, 12:05 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah

Q: Does the coolant retain its properties one you reach extreme temperature? Should the coolant be replaced once you see it steam off?
I'm not too sure what you're asking, but there was no steam whatsoever coming out of the hood when the gauge needle was almost at "hot".

I'm just surprised that this is happening, when I thought I cared immaculately for this car (service EVERY 5K miles and all the major services at 15K, 30K & 45K. Or is this normal wear & tear? *secret: this is why I don't keep cars for too long*
Old 02-09-08, 04:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

What's the color of the coolant that you see in the reservoir (left side of the engine bay, biggest reservoir you see)?
Old 02-09-08, 04:32 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

I agree with THE G MAN. Let the car idle until the temp rises and see if the fan comes on. The car can cool down when moving due to increased air flow. The fan should come on when engine temp is not maintained by movement of the vehicle.
Old 02-09-08, 04:41 PM
IS3666
Driver School Candidate

Check your coolant level... If it is low, your radiator is leaking.
Old 02-11-08, 06:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
I'm just surprised that this is happening, when I thought I cared immaculately for this car (service EVERY 5K miles and all the major services at 15K, 30K & 45K. Or is this normal wear & tear? *secret: this is why I don't keep cars for too long*
They cannot check everything on those schedule services. Even if they did, the parts can still fail in between the services. No its not normal wear and tear, you should get the dealer to check it out. Have them check out the entire cooling system. BTW, I use the same excuse for trading in my car every 2 or 3 years
Old 02-16-08, 03:43 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone for all your input! Lexmex: I'll get back to you on the color.
Old 02-16-08, 07:24 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It still sounds like the fan is not switching on at high temperatures. That would account for the sudden rise in temperature that subsides when you drive off. Yes, the AC would also be affected as its efficiency also depends on air flow over the condenser coils when motionless in traffic. Either the fan has failed, or more likely the thermostat that controls its operation has gone bad.
Old 02-16-08, 08:36 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
It still sounds like the fan is not switching on at high temperatures. That would account for the sudden rise in temperature that subsides when you drive off. Yes, the AC would also be affected as its efficiency also depends on air flow over the condenser coils when motionless in traffic. Either the fan has failed, or more likely the thermostat that controls its operation has gone bad.
Lil4x's message needs a bit of clarification ..

There are two thermostats ..
Thermostat-valve ... This is in the coolant path, which does not allow flow from the radiator till the engine reaches operating condition [If this was not there (or stays open) you would need a long time to get to operating temp. If it remains shut you would over-heat while the radiator would be cold]

Thermostat (cooling fan switch)
This is an electrical switch that sits in the water-jacket of the engine block, and it switches the cooling fan (on the radiator) on or off when the coolant temperature reaches a certain temp above the optimum temperature.

Salim
Old 01-02-09, 09:56 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Just an update: The temperature would shoot to hot when driving in normal conditions/flat roads. They took the RX to the dealership today. The radiator needs to be replaced. Around $1K with labor. Is this normal for 68K miles??
Old 01-03-09, 04:55 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Have you owned the vehicle from new? If not, the coolant system might have been neglected prior to your purchase and clogged arteries in the radiator caused it to need to be replaced.

If you owned it from new and did the proper maint, then there is no way it should have gone bad at 68k miles.
Old 01-03-09, 06:57 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

That just happened to me a few weeks ago.
My '04 started to overheat while driving. The dealer checked it and found that the radiator was leaking and needed to be replaced. Although I still have a few months left on my CPO warranty, which would have covered it ($750 or so), the service tech mentioned that my '04 fell within a range of VIN numbers that had bad radiators, and that Lexus "extended" the original factory warranty on those cars and would replace them. (So I was double covered.)
I searched here and did find some posts about the radiator problems from posts in '05 and '06, since that's when the original warranties ran out on the new '04 cars.
Before you pay for the replacement, have the service folks look this info up and see if your car is in the covered group.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Coolant temperature shot way up