RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Thanks Toyota Canada for screwing up resale values!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08 | 09:40 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

first of all, where did you get this information? Does this price decrease affect only Canadian market, or US market as well?

Not sure of the Canadian market, but in the US market, where Toyota already has 3 crossovers priced from low 20's to mid 30's range, this may not happen. If the 9K decrease is true for US market, then the top of the line RX would cost 33K, with all taxes and fees. Imagine that! Why would anyone pay 35K for a loaded Highlander, or even 30K for a loaded RAV4? People would start buying RXs all day long, and Toyota would lose sales of its three crossovers, RAv4, all-new Yatze, and Highlander.

With GS, the only reason this may have worked in 1997/98 is because back then Toyota did not have another product that could be affected. The Toyota Avalon, which was not a RWD but FWD, which was very different from GS, and topped out at about 30K, so with GS 300 starting at 5-6grand more, Toyota could not hurt Avalon sales, but actually helped move more GSs.
Old 02-27-08 | 10:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If you want to throw rocks, look no further than the U.S.A and the Fed and the drop in value of our dollar.

What Toyota Canada did is right, pass the savings on the customers.
Don't think Toyota really have savings, they are just forced to take slimmer profit margins per car in Canada just like in the U.S. I think . . .
Old 02-27-08 | 03:30 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Interesting facts folks!

I too was surprised to see Lexus/ Toyota dropping prices in Canada as originally the rumour was that they would be offering a no charge scheduled maintenance deal within first 3 years and not dropping the price...

Certainly they were aware of the impact on depreciation of existing vehicles, however, I think maybe they see their personal need to move more cars as a bigger motivating factor than just keeping their loyal customers happy!

Another $.02
Old 02-27-08 | 10:45 PM
messer
Driver School Candidate

we are still getting ripped off here compared to the US.

Lexus/Toyota dropped their prices, but also jacked up the interest rates. so we are no better off...
Old 03-02-08 | 09:31 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

This thread is funny.
It is purely economical.
Some posters make it sound like they intentionally lowered prices to harm previous owners and make them annoyed.
Do you think that TC was able to make every one happy by lowering prices. Dealers with inventory , wholesalers, owners , dealerships are all unhappy but that is the cost of doing business.

It is damn well about time they lowered the pricing to a more equal currency focused change. It is not supposed to be on par it is closing the gap , try next few months and it may drop the msrp on the cars more to align the two currencies more.
Old 03-03-08 | 04:48 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kostyan
Toyota would lose sales of its three crossovers, RAv4, all-new Yatze, and Highlander.

What the heck is a "Yatze"...
Is there something in the Toyota product line no-one else knows about!
Old 03-03-08 | 05:49 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Fern
What the heck is a "Yatze"...
Is there something in the Toyota product line no-one else knows about!

Actually I like the new Venza.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minis...nza/venza.html
Old 03-03-08 | 05:53 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

to each their own i guess. I don't think that toyota was happy about coming to the conclusion they needed to drop prices or did so to poke previoius owners in the eye. It's a reaction to market and economic conditions I would think. And the assertion that

Lexus/Toyota dropped their prices, but also jacked up the interest rates. so we are no better off...
serious or venting? ok either way but????. in the states at least, you can seek independent financing that the car company has no control over.