RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navigation Override on cartv.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 07:30 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew there was a reason I hesitated throwing out the V5 disc. Sadly I couldn't think of a reason to keep the old disc. Now I wish I had.

Does anyone know of a place where I could find the v5 loading.kwi file? Thanks.
Old 03-13-08, 08:08 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'manual override' meaning the steps in post #1 of this thread? If that still works with dvd 7, that must be unique to the older navi systems. good for you though.
Old 03-13-08, 09:09 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

look in this link for the downloadhttp://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173730&page=3
Old 06-30-08, 03:13 PM
RCa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default override nav system

I unfortunately found out about the lack of an override on ver 7 after I updated.
I still have my ver 5 software.
I have a 2006 es 330 Gen 4

Can I go back to ver 5? If so how? I don't care if the maps are outdated, I just need the override back. I do a lot of traveling and my human Navigator(wife) does all the inputting of data while we are on the go. Stopping along the hwy is more dangerous than overrriding the system and having someone other than the driver enter data.

Help.

RCa
Ps when I said I don't care if the maps are old, I do but not as much as I care about the override. All "fixes" by burning portions of ver5 and 7 to get updated maps and maintain override seem complex to me as a novice user.
Old 06-30-08, 03:30 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

eject the v 7 dvd. disconnect the power to the dvd reader if you can get to the back of it easily (just disconnect the main plug for a few minutes). or pull the fuse for the navi if you can identify it or just disconnect the battery for a few (some presets may be lost). keep the power disconnected for a few minutes then reconnect and load the v 5 dvd. it will reboot the system and you should be back.
Old 06-30-08, 05:21 PM
RCa
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

I will try that first thing in the morning. Hope it works. Thanks

RCA
Old 06-30-08, 05:45 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Default Fuzzy Logic

Originally Posted by ecount00
agree with you. if you read the G and L model threads, you'll see a lot of venting re navi as well a lot of energy to work around the limitations. Unfortunately, I don't think Lexus is listening or cares. Their lawyers have the upper hand on this one it seems.
I just don't understand the logic behind "graying out" NAV and phone options while the vehicle is in motion. Why don't they disable the radio/CD/XM controls, if their logic is sound? At the very least, they could allow the passenger seat sensor that arms the pax air bag also activate the NAV functions. At least the passenger could then operate the system.

Does anyone know if any other luxury cars deactivate their NAV system when the vehicle is put in motion? This irritant is enough to make me reconsider whether I want another Lexus. I hate to go out and spend $500 on a Garmin, while I have a $3,000 piece of junk in the car.
Old 07-01-08, 04:33 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

hard to say why lexus lawyers drew the line where they did. i don't know of any other company that locks the system that way. there are after market adapters that will unlock the navi for input while in motion. have one on both of our cars as the lock out drove me bonkers.
Old 07-01-08, 07:54 AM
RCa
Driver School Candidate

Default didn't work

eject the v 7 dvd. disconnect the power to the dvd reader if you can get to the back of it easily (just disconnect the main plug for a few minutes). or pull the fuse for the navi if you can identify it or just disconnect the battery for a few (some presets may be lost). keep the power disconnected for a few minutes then reconnect and load the v 5 dvd. it will reboot the system and you should be back.
Tried process of removing fuse. Still no joy. System identifies disk as v 5.1 put I am still locked out of the override process. Step by step this is what I did.
Ejected v 7
pulled fuse
waited overnight
replaced fuse
inserted v 5

Was this sequence correct?
Old 07-01-08, 10:17 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

sequence is fine and you shouldn't have to wait more than 5 minutes, let alone overnight. when you started up again did your screen show the 'loading' progress bar on the touch screen before it came back on to the regular view? I don't know which fuse runs the navi dvd reader. may not be the same as the one that runs the stereo/touchscreen. just a thought. disconnecting the power plug on the dvd reader or disconnecting the battery may be the better way to go. I've reset my gen4 system from v 7 to v 5 (and restored the override) multiple times so can't see why it can't be done.

if your system didnt reboot (loading progress bar, do not disconnect msg) it will display you have map v 5.1 inserted (which is correct) but it's still running the v7 firmware. if you are sure you've done a hard reboot, then i'm out of ideas.
Old 07-01-08, 11:39 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Has anyone change back down on the firmware before? I thought the book said that once you updated the system that was it you could not go back. But I hope I am wrong about this
Old 07-01-08, 11:48 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

i've done it several times on my GS with gen4 system. upgraded to 7, lost the override capability, rebooted the system (by disconnecting the battery) and reloaded v5 firmware and got the override capability back. that is exactly what RCa is trying to do. would think the gen4 hardware in an ES would behave the same.
Old 07-01-08, 08:42 PM
RCa
Driver School Candidate

sequence is fine and you shouldn't have to wait more than 5 minutes, let alone overnight. when you started up again did your screen show the 'loading' progress bar on the touch screen before it came back on to the regular view? I don't know which fuse runs the navi dvd reader. may not be the same as the one that runs the stereo/touchscreen. just a thought. disconnecting the power plug on the dvd reader or disconnecting the battery may be the better way to go. I've reset my gen4 system from v 7 to v 5 (and restored the override) multiple times so can't see why it can't be done.

if your system didnt reboot (loading progress bar, do not disconnect msg) it will display you have map v 5.1 inserted (which is correct) but it's still running the v7 firmware. if you are sure you've done a hard reboot, then i'm out of ideas.
I did not get the reloading bar but immediately got the "I Agree" screen. When I put the ver 7 back in many things did not work or took a long time to change. Example: radio would not turn on with pushing button, many of the "hard" buttons were inop. Map features erratic and slow. Removed v 7 disk removed fuse reinserted fuse, reinserted v 7 disk and everything worked as a v 7. Note I did not get a booting screen but immediately got the "i agree" screen.

Also note dealership said once upgraded you can't go back. Not sure I believe that since any computer can be reformatted as long as there is no chip change I would think that going back is feasible and the sugesstions by ecount00 make perfect sense.

I am assuming that some of the v 5 stuff must have been entered but not loaded properly since I never saw a booting up screen. I compounded the problem by putting the v 7 disk back in without pulling the fuse.
Once I pulled the fuse I was back to the v 7 system without any ill effects.

Bottom line: I guess I need to unplug the battery or look for another fuse to ensure all power is cut off the dvd drive and then try to reload the v 5. Or learn to live without the overrride.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited by RCa; 07-01-08 at 08:46 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-02-08, 08:13 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

sorry this hasn't worked as for me it was very simple and i did it several times as i experimented with ways to keep the override while using dvd v7. each time i lost it but was able to get it back. and every time i went back to 5 i got a loading screen that has a progress bar showing how close it was to complete. it only took a minute or so. i only have 3 observations and none of them are newly helpful in solving the problem.

1. you really haven't cut the power to the nav dvd reader yet so when you do disconnect the battery you'll get better results.

2. there is something to what the dealer says tho maybe there is some sort of flash update they did that hasn't been done to my car because there is no question in my mind i was able to reverse the simple upgrade via dvd. i have an 06 GS with Gen4 which i think is the same system as yours.

3. there are after market adapters that will defeat the lockout. because i finally wanted to use newer maps than v 5(i know you said you don't care about that), i finally added the kit to defeat the lockout. if you really can't get back to 5, at least that is an option imperfect as it may be.

I spent a lot time experimenting with this when i ran into the lockout (that's why i upgraded and went back multiple times. the file on the dvd that i refer to as firmware is loading.kwi. it is the file that contains the secret unlock menu. i know that because many were able to take that file from v5 and maps from v6, burn a homemade combo and get it to work with unlock when factory v6 didn't allow it. thats legit as long as you own both versions. regardless, that technique doesnt work any more as lexus keeps tightening the screws.

anyway, the loading file in memory can be wiped by disconnecting the power to the reader. if you don't do that it keeps using the same firmware and just reads whatever map version you insert. when i cut the power and then reinserted my v5 dvd, i got that loading screen and then everything was back. that fact that yours went right to 'i agree' i think means for sure the v5 firmware didn't reload. either because the power wasn't cut or it really isn't possible to go back now for whatever reason. good luck. i thought this was going to be a simple path to success.

Last edited by ecount00; 07-02-08 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-02-08, 09:21 AM
RCa
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

Appreciate all the info. It is concise and makes sense. After the holidays I will re-attack the problem. I'll let you know the outcome. I am truly disappointed in Lexus' decision to block out the feature. I do a lot of cross country driving and the need to input route changes, and use other features that are locked out is a pain. Acura is a very comparable vehicle to the Lexus and their system is not locked out. Further a simple Garmin add on that is 10% of the cost of the Lexus system also doesn't lock you out when in motion. I'm a big boy and understand the need for safety that's why the person in the passenger seat operates the system. OK I'm done venting and will look into your suggestions.

Once again thanks for helping a rookie to this site.

Quick Reply: Navigation Override on cartv.com