RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navigation Override on cartv.com

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 11:18 AM
RCa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sucess !!!

Originally Posted by ecount00
sorry this hasn't worked as for me it was very simple and i did it several times as i experimented with ways to keep the override while using dvd v7. each time i lost it but was able to get it back. and every time i went back to 5 i got a loading screen that has a progress bar showing how close it was to complete. it only took a minute or so. i only have 3 observations and none of them are newly helpful in solving the problem.

1. you really haven't cut the power to the nav dvd reader yet so when you do disconnect the battery you'll get better results.

2. there is something to what the dealer says tho maybe there is some sort of flash update they did that hasn't been done to my car because there is no question in my mind i was able to reverse the simple upgrade via dvd. i have an 06 GS with Gen4 which i think is the same system as yours.

3. there are after market adapters that will defeat the lockout. because i finally wanted to use newer maps than v 5(i know you said you don't care about that), i finally added the kit to defeat the lockout. if you really can't get back to 5, at least that is an option imperfect as it may be.

I spent a lot time experimenting with this when i ran into the lockout (that's why i upgraded and went back multiple times. the file on the dvd that i refer to as firmware is loading.kwi. it is the file that contains the secret unlock menu. i know that because many were able to take that file from v5 and maps from v6, burn a homemade combo and get it to work with unlock when factory v6 didn't allow it. thats legit as long as you own both versions. regardless, that technique doesnt work any more as lexus keeps tightening the screws.

anyway, the loading file in memory can be wiped by disconnecting the power to the reader. if you don't do that it keeps using the same firmware and just reads whatever map version you insert. when i cut the power and then reinserted my v5 dvd, i got that loading screen and then everything was back. that fact that yours went right to 'i agree' i think means for sure the v5 firmware didn't reload. either because the power wasn't cut or it really isn't possible to go back now for whatever reason. good luck. i thought this was going to be a simple path to success.
Seems you were right in that removal of the fuse is insufficient to reset the nav system. After disconnecting the battery and then inserting the v 5 disk I got the boot up screen and was able to access the hidden menu. I will have to determine the value of an outdated map verus override feature. At least now I can experiment with each version to see which has the greater value.
Old 07-04-08, 06:45 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad it finally worked out. pulling the fuse was one my original suggestions to you, so i wont make that mistake again . i think i reset mine that way tho a couple of times as when i disconnected the battery, i lost some radio/satellite presets as well as seat memory so i tried the fuse route. it's been a while but i thought it worked. there is a 15amp fuse marked TV in my car but my memory might be hazy on that.

am sure it feels good to have the override back.
Old 07-04-08, 06:47 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

stating the obvious for those that follow, the map upgrades come down to how much new development there is in the areas you drive. and keep in mind that it make take a year longer than you think for something new to show up depending on when an address goes active v the dvd release cycle. my car came with 5. when 6 came out, i expected diffs and they didn't show up until 7.
Old 07-07-08, 04:17 PM
RCa
Driver School Candidate

Override is great to have back. Seems as if all other functions are also working although when I try to change the screen color from the default to one of the other 4 options it will not do it. Night map still works so no big deal. My return trip from Chicago to San Diego in Sept will determine how much I prefer override over the update. I will reload v 7 before we start and see if the info for additional restaurants, lodging etc are worth the loss of overrride.
Old 07-07-08, 07:15 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I still think that if we all started to call the 800 number at Lexus and ask them why we should get their Navigation with all its safe guards for the thousands or a after market unit with out for a lot less that can also be used in your others cars. They might start to take some notes on it.
Old 07-08-08, 04:49 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

cant hurt i guess. i don't think there is any doubt they are aware it's a dissatisfier for many. they monitor enough to know what customers were doing to unlock the nav (making homemade hybrids that used the unlock menu from early dvds) etc and their response was to block those tricks in future releases. seems they are on the cusp of being the largest auto seller in the world and are in CYA mode on this particular issue.