RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navigation Override on cartv.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 01:40 PM
rmgmag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Override on cartv.com

I found this video along with instructions on how to ovewrride the Navigation sysytem.

Has anyone tried this and has it worked?

Car Tip: Toyota/Lexus Navigation Override
Quick video showing how to operate the navigation & phone system override in many Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Once the Override is activated, the nav system and phone system can be operated while the vehicle is in motion. The system returns to its default settings each time the car is started.
Step 1 Press The Menu button
Step 2 Press the Volume button
Step 3 Press The Upper Left of the screen
Step 4 Press The Lower Left of the screen
Step 5 Press Upper Left of the screen again
Step 6 Press Lower Left of the screen again
Step 7 Press and hold the Override Button until system beeps
Step 8 Press Back Button in upper right corner
Done! The Buttons For Navigation & Phone are now accessible

Older Lexus and Toyota Systems may require a slightly different process:
Step 1 Press The Menu button
Step 2 Press the System button
Step 3 Press The Upper Left of the screen
Step 4 Press The Lower Left of the screen
Step 5 Press Upper Left of the screen again
Step 6 Press Lower Left of the screen again
Step 7 Press The Lower Right of the screen
Step 8 Press and hold the Override Button until system beeps
Step 9 Press Back Button in upper right corner
Done! The Buttons For Navigation & Phone are now accessible
Old 02-17-08, 02:58 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tons of threads about this topic. The upper/lower/upper/lower etc trick only works on nav dvds v5 and maybe earlier. it was a hidden diagnostic menu used for several purposes that got out to the general public. primarily used as a way to unlock the nav. So when Lexus published dvd v6, they either removed it or hid it differently. and it's never been cracked since.

there are a lot of threads on burning homemade dvds that mix the override trick with newer maps etc. and some after market gadgets like lockpick that will unlock the system while in motion.
Old 02-18-08, 06:56 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 Highlander and can't figure it out. I'm guessing it is GEN6.
Old 02-18-08, 07:12 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't aware there was a gen6 but maybe there is. I thought the latest was gen5 ("genx" designates hardware I think). My 06 GS has Gen4 nav and will always be Gen4 no matter what dvd version i put in. Maybe we're both referring to the v6 dvd. What I meant to say was on the software side, dvd 5 had the secret menu but only dvd v5-no others. v6 didn't have the menu but could be hacked with homemade version of the dvd. v7 is locked down so even that won't work and cant be hacked without a wiresplice or after market kit. Lexus is really cranky about the nav input in motion thing. Liability protection no doubt.

Last edited by ecount00; 02-18-08 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 07:53 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecount00
I wasn't aware there was a gen6 but maybe there is. I thought the latest was gen5 ("genx" designates hardware I think). My 06 GS has Gen4 nav and will always be Gen4 no matter what dvd version i put in. Maybe we're both referring to the v6 dvd. What I meant to say was on the software side, dvd 5 had the secret menu but only dvd v5-no others. v6 didn't have the menu but could be hacked with homemade version of the dvd. v7 is locked down so even that won't work and cant be hacked without a wiresplice or after market kit. Lexus is really cranky about the nav input in motion thing. Liability protection no doubt.
Not certain what map software version I have in the 08 Highlander. Assuming I'm not up to version 7, how do you make a homemade CD. Does someone have the source code?
Old 02-18-08, 08:29 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

you need a copy of both v5 and v6. you take the loading.kwi from v5 and all the files on v6 EXCEPT the loading.kwi and burn the blended set onto a dvd+r DL (double layer) dvd. you end up with v6 maps and v5 loading.kwi on the same dvd. the loading file is where the hidden unlock menu is.

You can pick up a v5 dvd on ebay or craigs list pretty cheap since it's old. you need that for the loading file. just be sure to get v5 dvd for the Gen type of hardware you have.

first step is to figure out what dvd version you have. easiest way is to eject it and take a look. I don't know where the nav dvd player is in a Highlander but the manual will have it. 2nd is to be sure what version of nav hardware you have. 08 would have Gen5 i would think but a quick call to the dealer parts dept should solve that one.

you can combine v5 and v6 dvds for any Gen of nav hardware and it will work. combining v5 and v7 won't work for Gen4 hardware. I know that for sure. Other posters say they have gotten v5 and v7 combo to work with Gen5 systems.

Last edited by ecount00; 02-18-08 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 11:08 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

here are the details.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...69#post2503969
Old 02-18-08, 11:22 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecount00
Thank you. I need to find out what I have in the highlander and if it is possible to get that one file from the 5.x disc.
Old 03-12-08, 06:15 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,do you know which file has to be removed to remove the i agree screen in generation 2-3 version 7 please and do you think that the manual bypass will work on that version..thanks
Old 03-12-08, 09:54 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't tried to reverse engineer something to remove the I Agree so I am not 100% certain of this but i really doubt that you could remove I Agree by simply removing a file. I think it's embedded in the loading.kwi file and if you remove that, the system wont work. As for manual bypass with gen 2/3 I think you'd have to get a dvd ver 5 and try it unless someone has already done that. Hopefully they will chime in on that piece soon.
Old 03-12-08, 01:49 PM
shikbas
Intermediate

thanks,do you think the file from version three will work with version seven for manual override.
Old 03-12-08, 05:43 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

If I understand what you have, it's a gen 2 or 3 nav system. For gen 4 or 5 systems you need the loading file from dvd version 5 coupled with the maps from dvd version 6 or 7. I don't know if that will work on the gen2 or gen 3 systems. You might research the forums for older IS and GS cars. Some of those would have had the same gen 2 or 3 nav systems as you car I think. you might find info there that applies to your navi.
Old 03-12-08, 06:06 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why don't we pitch a ***** we Lexus and tell them what we want in a Navigation system? We are the one buying the thing if its not what we want then tell them to fix it the way everyone else has theirs.
Old 03-12-08, 07:03 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

agree with you. if you read the G and L model threads, you'll see a lot of venting re navi as well a lot of energy to work around the limitations. Unfortunately, I don't think Lexus is listening or cares. Their lawyers have the upper hand on this one it seems.
Old 03-13-08, 05:23 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

I put the new version 7 and it loaded,interestingly,the manual override worked,Iwill try to disconnect the battery and erase the memory and retry to see if will work

Quick Reply: Navigation Override on cartv.com